Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 09:31 AM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I think King Street should be a pedestrian mall like Church St in Burlington. Could add trees, benches, tables.

Burlington took the asphalt and sidewalks out for brick.
Very narrow sidewalks (quaint)

Trees like on Greenville and Columbia’s main streets would not fit.

Stay tuned for a first-rate urban pocket park running from King to Meeting Street near Horlbeck Alley just down from South Carolina’s future, first Four Seasons Hotel.

Don’t try to mess up my Sunday morning drives down King Street, although making it pedestrian only would be okay by me actually. Maybe Charleston’s critics would find the change a redeeming quality for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 12:56 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 13 days ago)

730 posts, read 346,005 times
I believe the city has considered making King St a closed off pedestrian road for years. It was mentioned as recently as last September. If I made the same comments on here that were made in this article such as pointing out the narrow sidewalks, it would cause a stir with some Charleston residents or fans on here.

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/char...tion-wciv-2023

I can't think of any public figure criticizing Charleston. It is one of the most hyped up cities in the world. A good number of people seem to have a strong emotional attachment to the downtown. That kind of infatuation has developed with many people for downtown Greenville as well. Part of what urban planners do is look to improve cities which first requires a perception things are not as nice as they could be.

It seems like the people most harshly critical of SC as a whole, the roads, the schools, the suburbs, the leaders, etc think downtown Charleston and Greenville are off limits for even mild criticism such as a suggestion more trees be planted. The fact Charleston decided to plant the palmettos on King Street at some point indicates the city leaders thought adding trees appeals to people.

The Waterfront Park is a primary hotspot for Charleston's tourism and it hasn't been there that long. It made the downtown better because it provides access to the best spot on a peninsula, the waterfront. https://www.charleston-sc.com/charle...%20the%20city.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 04-13-2024 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-13-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I believe the city has considered making King St a closed off pedestrian road for years. It was mentioned as recently as last September. If I made the same comments on here that were made in this article such as pointing out the narrow sidewalks, it would cause a stir with some Charleston residents or fans on here.

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/char...tion-wciv-2023

I can't think of any public figure criticizing Charleston. It is one of the most hyped up cities in the world. A good number of people seem to have a strong emotional attachment to the downtown. That kind of infatuation has developed with many people for downtown Greenville as well. Part of what urban planners do is look to improve cities which first requires a perception things are not as nice as they could be.

It seems like the people most harshly critical of SC as a whole, the roads, the schools, the suburbs, the leaders, etc think downtown Charleston and Greenville are off limits for even mild criticism such as a suggestion more trees be planted. The fact Charleston decided to plant the palmettos on King Street at some point indicates the city leaders thought adding trees appeals to people.

The Waterfront Park is a primary hotspot for Charleston's tourism and it hasn't been there that long. It made the downtown better because it provides access to the best spot on a peninsula, the waterfront. https://www.charleston-sc.com/charle...%20the%20city.
I can’t imagine who thinks King Street’s sidewalks aren’t narrow. Yes, the palmetto trees on King Street were and are an exquisite enhancement. And now, hanging flower baskets adorn every street lamp post in the corridor.

King Street merchants and city leaders came together and established a business improvement district on King Street from Line Street to Broad Street about a year or so ago. It was established because of the “self” perception that the corridor’s future was at risk if no organized improvement measures were taken. It’s going well.

And Waterfront Park is about to get a game-changing addition, and then another nice extension, and then the huge one with a new 70-acre waterfront neighborhood that will make Charleston next-level.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 04-13-2024 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-14-2024, 12:15 PM

I would plant a ton of live oaks in downtown including an avenue of live oaks with Spanish moss like the one in Charles Towne Landing. The avenue would have a long linear fountain / reflection pool in between the trees. Then I would add to the oak grove statues of various pirates who spent time in Charleston, like Black Beard, Stede Bonnet, and Charleston native Anne Bonney.

In Tom Petty's southern ballad Down South, one of his lyrics is "Spanish moss down south". It's a symbol of the south.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:35 AM

I read an article, I believe on the Post's website, that states the Union Pier site is one of the last areas in downtown Charleston available for development. Many of the local residents have opposed high rise buildings in the development and the developer has pledged to keep it low density.

I believe you've said Charleston has space to increase the density significantly to include space for houses.

The article said there will be low income housing in the development. That surprised me.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:06 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Interesting deliberation on what is going on in Lexington County concerning growth. Both sides have a point. The County wants the towns/cities to follow their zoning/growth requirements...IF they want to use County Road funds. Conversely, residents of these cities and towns pay County taxes so to some degree are entitled to them and have a right to govern themselves accordingly since they are incorporated. Of course there is a middle ground. Lets see if they can find it...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/feud-over...ycsrp_catchall

Old 04-15-2024, 02:40 PM

Take Salley, South Carolina. Salley has around 500 last I looked. It is 37 miles from Columbia. From every direction, as one approaches Salley, it is all country. You’re driving along and there’s nothing, except an occasional country home. And then suddenly, you’re in Salley.

Salley has a downtown. There’s a block-long strip of spaces, almost completely empty, perhaps with a bank still on the ground floor of a two-story building on the corner. I lived in an apartment on the second floor for one year at age four to five when my father was the manager of that bank.

After a year, we moved into a house my parents had built just outside the town limits. That was 60 years ago. We left when I was eight, but nothing about the town’s footprint has changed.

If Salley were to ever become an exurb, I would not want big boxes or shopping centers to locate on its outskirts. I would want the downtown virtually filled up and added to on adjacent blocks. And any continued growth should take place incrementally.

While Salley is in Aiken County, maybe my way is how Lexington County wants its towns to grow. I wish Swansea had done it that way. It’s downtown needs a lot of help, but it could be nice.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Take Salley, South Carolina. Salley has around 500 last I looked. It is 37 miles from Columbia. From every direction, as one approaches Salley, it is all country. You’re driving along and there’s nothing, except an occasional country home. And then suddenly, you’re in Salley.

Salley has a downtown. There’s a block-long strip of spaces, almost completely empty, perhaps with a bank still on the ground floor of a two-story building on the corner. I lived in an apartment on the second floor for one year at age four to five when my father was the manager of that bank.

After a year, we moved into a house my parents had built just outside the town limits. That was 60 years ago. We left when I was eight, but nothing about the town’s footprint has changed.

If Salley were to ever become an exurb, I would not want big boxes or shopping centers to locate on its outskirts. I would want the downtown virtually filled up and added to on adjacent blocks. And any continued growth should take place incrementally.

While Salley is in Aiken County, maybe my way is how Lexington County wants its towns to grow. I wish Swansea had done it that way. It’s downtown needs a lot of help, but it could be nice.
Salley SC... Wow. I wonder how some of these towns stay afloat. No RR, major highway or waterway. Im sure its a nice friendly place... but you wonder what the future holds. Wagner on the other hand seems to have a more functional downtown that is frequented by residents/visitors.

I thought this was a cool building. I could see a nice outdoor bar under here with a place for live bands on weekends.. Wagner's Garage -Pit Crew and BBQ..

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6518...5410&entry=ttu

Old 04-17-2024, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Salley SC... Wow. I wonder how some of these towns stay afloat. No RR, major highway or waterway. Im sure its a nice friendly place... but you wonder what the future holds. Wagner on the other hand seems to have a more functional downtown that is frequented by residents/visitors.

I thought this was a cool building. I could see a nice outdoor bar under here with a place for live bands on weekends.. Wagner's Garage -Pit Crew and BBQ..

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6518...5410&entry=ttu
The same applies to Wagener. If it ever becomes a viable bedroom community of Columbia, I hope the town defines itself with an urban footprint. It shouldn’t allow its downtown to become an abandoned, derelict skeleton that just happens to sit within the town while town residents look to the Columbia end of would-be “greater Wagener” for big box and strip shopping center stores. A neighborhood-style Target could rehab a few buildings or build anew on the existing CBD grid, for instance, like on King Street in Charleston, if such a chain eventually locates in Wagener.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The same applies to Wagener. If it ever becomes a viable bedroom community of Columbia, I hope the town defines itself with an urban footprint. It shouldn’t allow its downtown to become an abandoned, derelict skeleton that just happens to sit within the town while town residents look to the Columbia end of would-be “greater Wagener” for big box and strip shopping center stores. A neighborhood-style Target could rehab a few buildings or build anew on the existing CBD grid, for instance, like on King Street in Charleston, if such a chain eventually locates in Wagener.
I wonder if either of these towns would have the opportunity to even have to worry about a big box or national retailer even consider coming to them. I have to admit I had to research how to even get to either of these towns. If your town is not on/off an Interstate or US Highway.. but off of one that begins with SC###... I think your troubles could start there...not in all cases... but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina