Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,406 times

Advertisements

I went to a country school outside of Madison SD. I remember it to be called Orland School and there was a small store across the street that we referred to as the Orland Store. The school closed when I was in the 6th grade which would have been 1967. I am trying to find any kind of info on it and haven't been able to find anything. I know it was Orland Township in Lake County SD. Please help me if you can. I have been looking for over a week on the web and have found nothing. I have so many memories of this school. After it closed, I believe it was Dakota Industries that moved into the building and I worked there for a couple of years. I have been gone for 35 yrs and am just trying to find some info . I drove past where the school use to be but it has been torn down. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 10:27 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,413,208 times
Wish I could help more... I looked in my "South Dakota Geographic Names" book...circa 1973 ... It lists almost every South Dakota geographic place that is or was...

Here is the section on Orland:

ORLAND (Lake Co.), 12 miles southwest of Madison, was called Orlando in the early days but the reason for the name is not definitely known. When a consolidated school was built in the neighborhood, the store was moved nearer the school and other establishments, including a garage, filling station, blacksmith shop and refreshment parlor, were soon added.

Here is the StreetView link via Google Maps:
Orland, sd - Google Maps

If you're not familiar with StreetView, click anywhere and hold your mouse and move it.... You can do a 360 of the area. If you want to move up and down the road, click on the arrows shown.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:13 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,821,668 times
If it was Howard and Canova I could be a bit more helpful. Even Chester. Family history.

It might be worth a call to the state historical society and perhaps look for a county history book that covers the history of an area.

My dad scored an exceptional copy an eastern Custer County book that was published in '71. The book is an excellent shape... And for a giggle I had to float him some cash to complete the purchase.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,406 times
thanks so much, that's far more than I had before. It's funny because we had a yearbook because the school was K-12. My brother I believe has the yearbook and don't think I will be getting it back. Family issues you know. Thanks so much for the help.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,584 times
Default I went to Orland School, too.

What kind of information are you looking for? There is now a stone with information about the years of the school and an etched picture of the school. I remember many things about my time there - I was only there a few years before our family moved to Sioux Falls. I do remember the Principal when I was there - Mr. Gulson, and the teachers - 1st and 2nd, Mrs. Campbell (very, very mean old woman), 3rd and 4th, Mrs. Gardemaker, and 5th and 6th, Mrs. Moose. And, I remember the home ec teacher, but not her name. That was a looooong time ago. I was just out in that area this summer, took some pictures o the commemorative stone.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,584 times
Here is some interesting information I found - Orland was built in 1920 - didn't know it was that old!

[url]http://books.google.com/books?id=1rE9AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA262&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en& sig=ACfU3U1DixACF438ueLr6ZiyJwFNR5jYAw&ci=63%2C29% 2C912%2C1345&edge=0[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota