Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:59 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,503,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I have my grandfather's old atlas copyrite 1926. The population of Newark at the 1920 census was 190. Rapid City believe it or not was only 5,777. Pine Ridge was bigger with 5,800.

It lists these towns on the Marshall County map (from north part of county to the south):

Newark
Marlow
Kidder
Veblen
Hilltop
Burch
Britton
Amherst
Lake City
Spain
Eden
Langford

How many of these exist at all now? Only towns I've heard of are Kidder, Veblen, Britton, and Langford.

Incidentally, Vernell Johnson's first auctioneer job was almost my grandparents farm sale. He was just a teenager by Lyons, SD. He didn't get the job, but was always a friend of the family and did other auctions for us.
Yeah, he was pretty well respected as an auctioneer and did several for our family as well.

That list of towns is interesting! Now I have to go to the farm to see if they are in that book!!
Should go out to see the hunters anyway. Getting lots of birds from what I hear.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,949 times
Default Newark, SD

Apple Betty I have been looking for information on Newark, SD myself. During the 1970's my family and I lived there. All of us who lived there at that time were all related. We come from the Severson family who all lived there at one time. I lived close to where the old bank building sat. My father worked at the elevator that belong to Jarrett's. My mom told me about the bar and how they used to party there all the time. Remember at one time ND and SD were all one state. The Severson family actually lived in Brampton area, Newark area. When I lived there there was Charlie and Lila Severson. Nellie (Severson) Baker, their daughter and her children, Gladys Schnider and Betty Baker and our family the George Furman family. The school house was dilapidated but the blackboards were still on the walls. There were many books just laying around. I have never heard of Marlow, but there are small towns that don't exist anymore like Spain. I would be interested to hear from you on more information on Newark if you have any more. We went to school in Kidder until they consolidated schools and then went to Britton. My email address is [email]pfurman159@yahoo.com[/email].

Old 02-17-2013, 04:25 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,911,128 times
I'm a long time California resident who was born and raised in Yankton. I've never been anywhere mere the towns you're speaking of, but I really enjoy reading the stories of their history...
So many small towns and small farms have disappeared, I wish I could visit all of them...

Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumper View Post
I am searching for anyone who lived in or near or might know something about Newark, SD up near Britton, on the NoDak border. It is essentially now deserted, but I understand that at one time it was a thriving little prairie town on the railroad line.

I am doing some research on the town and wondered if anyone would be willing to share what they know.

Do you know of anywhere I could get old photos of the town or any historical information about Newark?

I happened to stumble into Newark a few years back while on a snow goose hunting expedition. We hunt out of the Oakes or Forman, ND area typically.

For some reason the old town just caught my fancy, and I got curious about it and then I recently ran into some old posts about it on this forum.

If I recall there was an old two story brick building that seemed to look very out of place in such a small town, almost like it was an old TB sanatorium or asylum or something like that. I would appreciate any info you might have on that as well.

Thanks in advance...

Praire people are the best!
My mother was born and raised in Newark. She was born in 1920 an passed away a few yers ago, i am planning to visit Newark or waht is left of it this summer. Who are you? Do you know anything about this town? unfortunately I did not get alot of history from my mother. I am so excited to visit Newark.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 AM

4,615 posts, read 6,414,806 times
"We went to school in Kidder"....did you know the Chapin family that lived behind the Kidder Schoolhouse?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-19-2014, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,467 times
Smile I know newark born there 1922

I now Newark born and raised their 1922 went to school there and on to northern state teachers college
Resulting in teaching in a (one room) country school house 5 miles from newark I am 92 years old and can probably answer most questions-Seversons lived behind our house were talking 1920s

Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
Ella Severson was grandmother. Rusty Furman was a cousin. Ester Furman my dads sister.

schmar58@yahoo.com please reply miss rosiecow

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-04-2015 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota