Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 02:30 PM

12 posts, read 32,950 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I would like to know some important things about South Dakota or North Dakota. I'm a single woman without any children. Do they have any respectful gentlemen that is willing to date or even marry beautiful,sexy women? I plan on retiring at a place where people are very friendly. Are the people nice and friendly at SD or ND? I want to start my own business where I can get assistance. Will I be able to get some help starting my business if I ask for it? Is the economy is better there then most states. Will I be able to get a good paying job without any problems? How is the cost of living? Is it very expensive? Does below 0 in the winter time? I'm a very goodhearted person that is spiritual and seeking a church home. Will I be able to find a good church in SD or ND? it would be very helpful if I can get these questions answer before I make my decide to more there.

Thank you!
Darlene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
If you want the weather to be nice and above zero avoid North Dakota and in eastern South Dakota, live in Sioux Falls or southward or westward only, and even there it does drop below zero. Brookings and Watertown are quite a bit colder than the rest of the state, though Brookings probably has the best economy. For much milder weather look west.. the further west you go the more chinook winds you get, with Rapid City having the best 4-seasons climate in the region. If you don't like below zero weather, stay out of the areas in red on this map I made and definitely stay out of the green:

http://i.imgur.com/ri31koE.jpg

I'd recommend Rapid City, Omaha, NE, to Denver, CO if you want to live in the plains region and have a good climate.

As far as the rest of your questions I'm not qualified to answer them really. Cost of living is low but pay at any blue collar jobs except for a select few are also fairly low compared to other states. I'm not sure what kind of assistance people get for starting a business in any state much less this one, nor did you specify past work experience or what field you are looking to get into. There is no state income tax in South Dakota.

In my opinion people are fairly nice out here.. they can be nice to the point of being pushovers compared to where I came from, eastern Wisconsin where people are more 'in your face' and likely to tell you what they really think, rather than be nice to you and gossip behind your back... but I wouldn't worry about that... you'll meet people of good character. There are plenty of churches out here.. it's predominantly Lutherans out here with a scattering of Catholics and smaller numbers of other denominations.

What brings you out to the Dakotas if I may pry? There are so many other areas I'd love to live, from being back in WI to Denver, Rapid City, the Pacific Northwest, Carolinas, etc... basically anywhere warmer than Brookings which is basically most of the rest of the entire state and damn near the entire country. This is personal opinion mind you, but outside of low unemployment numbers (but still low pay unless you work at a select few employers that still pay well) , eastern South Dakota and North Dakota, particularly Brookings to Fargo east to Marshall, MN, are too cold, flat with not much redeeming value. If you like wide open spaces and low population density it can be paradise though. Everyone is different. Good luck!

Last edited by sholomar; 01-22-2014 at 04:30 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 04:24 PM

Thank you for your input! I have other choices of what I been thinking where I should move. Houston, Texas, Denver,Colorado, I don't know to much about Rapid City or the Pacific Northwest. I work in the medical field and I'm a certified nursing assistant. I have 21 years of experience and highly skilled in different areas in the medical field. The type of business I want to start is personal group homes. I'm so tried of working for this companies that pay little money. I live in Atlanta, GA and I advise anyone to never live here. You can find a good paying job in the hospital or anywhere as a matter of fact. I had got jobs here but the employers took them away from me for no reason. They have the right to fire you for no reason here, it is the law! The people and neighbors are not nice, they treat you like you nothing!. They don't even speak to you when you walk out of your house. I'm a student and I'm taking online courses. I'm studying to get my bachelor's degree in healthcare administration. So, I refuse to live in a state that is trying to keep me don't. I want to move somewhere, so I become a success. I'm tired of living bad.

Have a nice day!
Darlene

Old 01-23-2014, 04:05 PM

As a nursing assistant you should be able to find work anywhere.... if I could find work anywhere I would not start with the Dakotas but that's because of low population density, flat terrain, and cold climate. Denver might be a good start though people in the Colorado forum say that they have horrible, aggressive drivers there . Wisconsin has high taxes but pay is generally good in the medical field. You could try the Madison or Milwaukee area. Where I grew up, Ozaukee County, has wealth and is a nice area.

My goal is not to push you away just make you aware of certain realities about living in the great plains. I'm not sure if people are necessarily more friendly in one region of the country versus another to be honest, or if it's a placebo effect.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the information, goodluck to you!

Old 01-25-2014, 01:11 AM

By the way, I respect farmers and this area that I so badmouthed has some of the most fertile farming land in the country. It's worth it's weight in gold and a very important natural resource.... just to throw that in there. For the average young person it does not make sense to relocate to these areas in eastern ND and western MN however they do have great economic value. Many nations would kill to have such fertile land that gets ample moisture to support crops without irrigation... a bone for the wonderful farmers out there. There is also great potential for wind energy in certain areas not just here but in the western part of South Dakota as well as the entire great plains.

Also summers in this region are idealic for people who dislike hot weather. People in Brookings complain when it hits 90, but for many parts of the country 90 is just par for the course in the summer and people are miserable that it's so hot.. personally I love heat, humidity, and strong storms, and would love to live in eastern Kansas. The cooler temperatures also make farming easier to do with less irrigation needed. The farms around my mother's acreage in Lake County, South Dakota have always had healthy crops all the years I've been out here... she has relatively deep soil on her property, goes down a few feet. Severe storms don't produce wind or hail damage bad enough to damage crops that often compared to areas further south as well... It's almost a perfect storm of perfect conditions for farming aside from having the occasional drought which happens everywhere. Most farming land is well established by large farms that are only getting larger.. so the barrier to entry here is basically extreme... there is no entry unless you already have square miles of land or massive amounts of cash... if I was warren buffet I'd buy fertile farmland out here and sit on it, renting it out to farmers to use.

Until we get matter energy replication, land is still our most valuable natural resource, with eastern great plains farmland having arguably the highest value of all. Desert areas of Nevada or Arizona? Great to live in, but useless otherwise. End of another rant.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-25-2014 at 01:25 AM..

Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM

Okay, thank you have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota