Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 03:23 AM

661 posts, read 1,252,740 times

Advertisements

I read an article regarding technical schools in SD giving out scholarships in the millions. The catch is you'd have to stay in the state for 3 years to work in the course of study majored.

This is the article: Sanford giving $25M for South Dakota scholarships

While I've considered moving to North Dakota, someone mentioned to me that Rapid City, SD is an option to move into while working in North Dakota.

There are 4 technical colleges in SD that are offering the scholarships. I'd have to find which one offers a degree that could be useful in the oilfields. The 4 cities those 4 technical colleges are located in are:

- Southeast Technical Institute in Sioux Falls

- Western Dakota Tech in Rapid City

- Mitchell Technical Institute in Mitchell

- Lake Area Tech in Watertown

Which one would you pick?

Old 12-19-2014, 05:24 AM

434 posts, read 686,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I read an article regarding technical schools in SD giving out scholarships in the millions. The catch is you'd have to stay in the state for 3 years to work in the course of study majored.

This is the article: Sanford giving $25M for South Dakota scholarships

While I've considered moving to North Dakota, someone mentioned to me that Rapid City, SD is an option to move into while working in North Dakota.

There are 4 technical colleges in SD that are offering the scholarships. I'd have to find which one offers a degree that could be useful in the oilfields. The 4 cities those 4 technical colleges are located in are:

- Southeast Technical Institute in Sioux Falls

- Western Dakota Tech in Rapid City

- Mitchell Technical Institute in Mitchell

- Lake Area Tech in Watertown

Which one would you pick?
The Bakken Oil Field is closest to Rapid City, although looking at the map it is still quite a distance. If you are working in the oil fields I doubt you will have time to do a degree program at the same time.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:13 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,906,224 times
Things have slowed up in the Bakken. What would I pick? What do you want to do? Do you have mechanical inclinations? Like diesels? Then Lake Area technical' diesel program comes to mind.

Pick what you instead of whichever area is best looking for a handout.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:43 PM

481 posts, read 1,305,996 times
I have friends from Rapid that work the Bakken. Western Dakota Tech is the closest to that area but trying to get a degree while working up there is pretty difficult. The Bakken tends to put you to work three weeks on, two weeks off, or some similar schedule. You work seven days a week, make a lot of overtime and then rest for a bit.

Working in the ND oilfields can net you some great money but doing much outside of that work, educationally, will be hard. Have you considered working the oilfields until you burn out (which most people do) and then taking that money and applying it toward education? Or you could focus on schooling and getting a good paying job in ND. The latter is always an iffy choice because in the boom/bust cycle of energy extraction you never know how long the jobs will be around. With gas and oil prices plummeting right now, I'd be a little leery about delving into that field.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:54 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,906,224 times
Beware of the Bakken. Things are slowing down. Crews heading south or layoffs. I expect it to last as long as the crude prices remain low.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:33 AM

661 posts, read 1,252,740 times
thank you. I have the same idea as you. Work, get the money and go to school. But the article I mentioned at the start of the thread requires the person getting the scholarship to stay put in SD for the next 3 years to work after getting the degree. I'm just looking for options and planning ahead. Like I said, my current state is getting old and it may be time to move someplace new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
I have friends from Rapid that work the Bakken. Western Dakota Tech is the closest to that area but trying to get a degree while working up there is pretty difficult. The Bakken tends to put you to work three weeks on, two weeks off, or some similar schedule. You work seven days a week, make a lot of overtime and then rest for a bit.

Working in the ND oilfields can net you some great money but doing much outside of that work, educationally, will be hard. Have you considered working the oilfields until you burn out (which most people do) and then taking that money and applying it toward education? Or you could focus on schooling and getting a good paying job in ND. The latter is always an iffy choice because in the boom/bust cycle of energy extraction you never know how long the jobs will be around. With gas and oil prices plummeting right now, I'd be a little leery about delving into that field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota