Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,487 times

Advertisements

Hi folks-- I am a professional wildlife artist, planning on establishing a studio in South Dakota-- preferably in an area that has great access to bison herds and good populations of pronghorn, subjects that I am very interesting in following and painting on a regular basis. Custer seems like a natural choice, as Custer State Park/Wind Cave National Park would allow almost unlimited access to an incredible diversity of wildlife and landscapes. The tourist boom there would also be a plus, as I'd have a chance to meet new art collectors relatively easily. I have visited Custer once a few years ago and was thrilled to see the big bison herds and also the relatively habituated pronghorns who didn't seem to mind the presence of people within reasonable proximity. Any suggestions of other areas that I might consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:36 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,112,890 times
Custer would likely be your best choice, with Hermosa or Hot Springs as a second. Hermosa is south of Custer State Park, and Hot Springs gives you better access to Wind Cave National Park, which also boasts a large herd of bison and pronghorn. Studio prices would likely be lower in Hot Springs, but possibly not the best location. Custer, by far, sees the larger group of tourists, if that is what you are after, and I can think of a couple downtown locations that are/might be available to display your work. I have a realtor friend who could help you scope things out, as well as a couple of friends who are business owners in Custer who might be able to field questions.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:27 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,838,623 times
Hermosa is straight east of Custer State Park

Old 03-25-2015, 01:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,860,595 times
You are on the right track and I cannot disagree with anything posted above. I know of no other place that can give you better access to Buffalo, Elk, Antelope, Big Horn Sheep & other wildlife than Custer State Park or Wind Cave. Also, there is a newer art co-op that has opened a store/gallery at 602 Mt Rushmore Rd in Custer. I believe it is called Art Expressions Gallery. You would want to stop in there and talk to them. I have no idea what their terms or conditions are, but it should be a good place to display your art.

uh

Old 03-25-2015, 01:29 PM

18 posts, read 33,832 times
I wonder if Custer State Park Resort still offers the Artist-in-Residence opportunity? It may be worth it for you to contact them. Not sure if it's allowable to provide a link but my understanding is Custer State Park Resort is Custer state park's concessionaire.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:47 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,112,890 times
Yes, Custer State Park does still do the Artist in Residence, as does Badlands National Park. I believe Mount Rushmore hosts someone periodically, too.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,111,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delaneybird View Post
I wonder if Custer State Park Resort still offers the Artist-in-Residence opportunity? It may be worth it for you to contact them. Not sure if it's allowable to provide a link but my understanding is Custer State Park Resort is Custer state park's concessionaire.
Yes, you can post a link.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:14 AM

Thanks so much for the helpful answers! I didn't know about the Artist In Residence programs at Badlands and Custer. I will definitely look into those, as well as the suggested gallery in Custer. I hadn't considered Hermosa or Hot Springs as possible spots to work from, so thanks for the heads up.

Though I only visited once for three days a few years ago, Custer has stuck with me: an entire world within a single majestic park. Living in Custer, as close to the park as possible, would give me ample opportunity for early am or late pm wildlife observation, with painting time reserved for the balance of the day. I hope to be able to get right out there every day possible and learn as much as I can about my subjects. Painting the genetically important Wind Cave bison is also a major goal. I've never seen more impressive bulls!

I love sharing my work and meeting art collectors/new friends-- an essential element of the artist's life- so being right in the thick of the Custer tourist season would work well for me.

Another helpful friend just offered this suggestion: " Hope you'll stop by and visit Dayton and Susan at Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary...... a stone's throw (if you have a strong arm) to the Badlands, Rosebud Reservation.... Dayton's ranch has much Lakota history, and present day connection to the Sioux. Truly a magical place.... wild horses running wild and free. Golden eagles, mule deer, lots of critters. The Cheyenne River runs through the ranch... rock paintings, too... fossils everywhere." I will definitely take that suggestion and run with it! I have never painted any mustangs....yet.

Clearly, I could spend several lifetimes exploring this one region, so I'd better get cracking. Can't wait to get back. I am planning now for summer residency in 2016. My current year-round home/studio is in Brownsville, Texas, wayyyyy down on the border.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:30 AM

18 posts, read 33,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Yes, you can post a link.
This is the concessionaire for Custer State Park:
About » Custer State Park Resort

I could not find a link for the Artist-in-residence program specifically for Custer State Park but I would bet if you contacted the above, you'd get a response. Custer also has the fall Buffalo Roundup (already alluded to above) and they have an Arts Festival which you may be interested in:
http://custerresorts.com/assets/uplo...t_app_2015.pdf
(I think I'm going in with some stained glass. )

Here is Badlands app for Artist-in-Residence, I would assume Custer's is similar:
http://www.nps.gov/badl/getinvolved/...nformation.pdf

Game, Fish, and Parks page on Custer State Park:
SD GFP | State Parks | Directory | Custer State Park | Events | Buffalo Roundup & Arts Festival

Old 03-26-2015, 11:30 AM

Thank you, delaneybird! I will look into all of these great opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota