Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 21,682 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at Vermillion for her to go to college. I am wanting to know what it is like there? We like to do things outdoors, hike, hunt, and generally enjoy being outside. How are the jobs in the area? I saw some for Polaris and a few others. Any info would be helpful. We have lived in Mitchell and Bell Fourche before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 01:33 PM

4,880 posts, read 6,953,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBcrawler View Post
My wife and I are looking at Vermillion for her to go to college. I am wanting to know what it is like there? We like to do things outdoors, hike, hunt, and generally enjoy being outside. How are the jobs in the area? I saw some for Polaris and a few others. Any info would be helpful. We have lived in Mitchell and Bell Fourche before.

Polaris is there and I believe they still have a pretty big call center still there. The commute to Yankton or the Northern part of Sioux City for work isn't bad.

I'm a "Yote" pure and simple. Most of my immediate family including my wife and I graduated from USD so my opinion is definitely biased. As an overall academic environment it has no equal in SD. The only college with a higher academic status would be South Dakota School of Mines, but that is somewhat limited more to the math and engineering specialties.

There are areas of study that don't exist there like engineering, any agricultural studies, pharmacy, and graduate studies in anesthesiology. Computer studies are there, but not quite to the degree you'd find at Dakota State.

There are multiple degrees there not found anywhere else in SD. Law School, Medical School, Health Science degrees such as Phys. Therapy and Occupational Therapy come to mind. Also, in the undergraduate studies it has the states only Dental Hygiene program, the only nationally ranked School of Business offering a BS degree, as well as a fully developed School of Education.

USD was ranked the top academic school in the Missouri Valley Conference.

For outdoor hiking, the Missouri River is right next door. A very large segment of the Missouri River in the Vermillion area is heavily wooded and not very commercialized. In a word, it's pretty unspoiled.
Only about 25 miles away at Yankton is the Gavin's Point Dam with Lewis and Clark Lake behind it. This is a BIG marina/recreation area. Also, Union State Park and Clay County Park (on The Missouri River) are very nearby for picnics and relaxing.

The town itself isn't anything special for scenery or hiking. Vermillion really isn't that big. It is a tried and true college town that USD pretty much overwhelms.

It was some of the best years of my life even though I never worked harder. I liked the fact that the college was the main focus of the community.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 21,682 times
jmgg thanks for the reply. We are going to be driving through on Thursday and will be looking around.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:54 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,625,904 times
I love living near Vermillion. It is friendly, walkable, safe, affordable, and has a gas station where they still pump your gas and wash your windshields for you while you sit in your car in comfort! It has a really good grocery store, two hardware stores, a movie theater, a few nice restaurants (Cafe Brule, Reds Steakhouse, Silk Road, Mexico Viejo), fast food joints, Wallyworld, daycares, a feed store and more. I was just talking with some other people today about how there's almost too much to do here. Through the University there's a Wellness Center that community members can use, lectures and recitals and theater and sports and special events. There are several small medical clinics and a Sanford hospital. The public library is great and the farmer's market is truly wonderful. On Thursday the farmer's market will be right next to the county fairgrounds on Cherry street between 3 and 7 pm. For outdoor recreation, lots of people canoe and kayak on the Missouri and Vermillion rivers (but be careful!). There are some good little fishing spots that some people MIGHT tell you about. There are several bike trails, a hiking trail along the Vermillion River, and a dog park. Spirit Mound is a nice afternoon hike, and there are several other nice county and state parks in the area, most near the Missouri River. There seem to be a lot of available jobs. Polaris always has a sign up that it is hiring. And check out the university jobs website https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu/applica...1474336343391- there are a lot of positions which seem to have been unfilled forever. Be prepared for low wages, but then, the cost of living here is very affordable. And if you can do handyman work, let me know! All the good handymen get snapped up by the construction and property management companies and it's impossible for us old ladies to find a handyman when we need one. P.S. - I would advise you to avoid one specific property management co. (the first three letters of it's name are D A K) when you look for housing. But the others are fine - M a loney, for one, is very reputable.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 09-19-2016 at 08:06 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 08:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Polaris is there and I believe they still have a pretty big call center still there. The commute to Yankton or the Northern part of Sioux City for work isn't bad.

I'm a "Yote" pure and simple. Most of my immediate family including my wife and I graduated from USD so my opinion is definitely biased. As an overall academic environment it has no equal in SD. The only college with a higher academic status would be South Dakota School of Mines, but that is somewhat limited more to the math and engineering specialties.

There are areas of study that don't exist there like engineering, any agricultural studies, pharmacy, and graduate studies in anesthesiology. Computer studies are there, but not quite to the degree you'd find at Dakota State.

There are multiple degrees there not found anywhere else in SD. Law School, Medical School, Health Science degrees such as Phys. Therapy and Occupational Therapy come to mind. Also, in the undergraduate studies it has the states only Dental Hygiene program, the only nationally ranked School of Business offering a BS degree, as well as a fully developed School of Education.

USD was ranked the top academic school in the Missouri Valley Conference.

For outdoor hiking, the Missouri River is right next door. A very large segment of the Missouri River in the Vermillion area is heavily wooded and not very commercialized. In a word, it's pretty unspoiled.
Only about 25 miles away at Yankton is the Gavin's Point Dam with Lewis and Clark Lake behind it. This is a BIG marina/recreation area. Also, Union State Park and Clay County Park (on The Missouri River) are very nearby for picnics and relaxing.

The town itself isn't anything special for scenery or hiking. Vermillion really isn't that big. It is a tried and true college town that USD pretty much overwhelms.

It was some of the best years of my life even though I never worked harder. I liked the fact that the college was the main focus of the community.
Did you see this? Check out #12.

Top 25 Online MBA Programs | The Princeton Review

Old 09-23-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Did you see this? Check out #12.

Top 25 Online MBA Programs | The Princeton Review

Yes, I did see this in the SF paper. I'm not TOTALLY surprised although being ranked that high is pretty impressive for a college located on the plains.

I graduated from the B school back in 1977. Even then the college was ranked nationally, especially in the Accounting field. If you didn't study your butt off they would flunk you and not look back. NOBODY graduated by sliding through like you can do at most colleges.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did see this in the SF paper. I'm not TOTALLY surprised although being ranked that high is pretty impressive for a college located on the plains.

I graduated from the B school back in 1977. Even then the college was ranked nationally, especially in the Accounting field. If you didn't study your butt off they would flunk you and not look back. NOBODY graduated by sliding through like you can do at most colleges.
Yes. I just started the masters program (online) for Accounting. Holy crap, is it a lot of work!!!

Old 09-23-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Yes. I just started the masters program (online) for Accounting. Holy crap, is it a lot of work!!!

I still can have nightmares after nearly 40 years from Intermediate Accounting (I was a management major and this was an elective. Stupid choice, but still an elective). In accounting I'm a firm believer that you either have an aptitude for it or you don't. If you're already doing the Master's program you're on one side, I'm on the other.

I could ace Statistics and really dig Finance, but Accounting was a whole other animal.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I still can have nightmares after nearly 40 years from Intermediate Accounting (I was a management major and this was an elective. Stupid choice, but still an elective). In accounting I'm a firm believer that you either have an aptitude for it or you don't. If you're already doing the Master's program you're on one side, I'm on the other.

I could ace Statistics and really dig Finance, but Accounting was a whole other animal.
I'm definitely better with the Accounting stuff than the Finance and Statistics. I'm trying to knock out the calc pre-req right now. I can't even tell you how much I hate it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota