Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 02:34 PM

125 posts, read 184,174 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me where in NM you're friend lives? That might help me to better answer you're questions. If she is in Santa Fe then she will find that SD feels like a different world.

I can saw that as a very liberal person who is basically and agnostic I've learned learned to keep my mouth shut about politics and religion in SD. There are a few liberals and we tend to find each other. I've basically given up following politics here as it's a bit depressing. I still vote in every election but know that mostly my vote doesn't count.

Also, the attitude towards Native Americans in SD is very different from NM. The level of racism, distrust, and intolerance here is much higher than in NM. I'm not exactly sure what the root cause of that is but my educated guess is it's simply a matter of time. Native and Anglos have been cohabitating in NM for 400 years. Here's is been just over a hundred years and the wounds are still fresh on both sides. Also, NM offers much more economic opportunities for many people living on the reservations dues to closer proximity to urban areas.

The new age spirituality that's ever present in Santa Fe does not really exist here for all intents and purpose.

I don't mean to sound negative, I love living here. It's one of the most beautiful places I have ever lived. Second only to Northern , NM in fact. Housing is generally very affordable. People complain about property taxes and home prices in Pennington county but they are still significantly lower than you would find on the coasts or in states such as NE or MN. But I generally knew what I was getting into when I moved here. And growing up in the South I just learned to deal with being a liberal in a red state. Also, I can honestly say that the people in SD are the nicest and most warm people I have encountered anywhere in the country. I lived in the Georgia and Kentucky for many years and "Southern hospitality" can't hold a candle to the people in SD in my opinion.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 11:06 AM

97 posts, read 172,709 times
understood..to be honest i dont think she is going to move..too little to do, freezing and lack of a live music scene (the type she plays..ie not folk or bluegrass.)...if it werent so cold she would move to siux falls.. She is blind so she does not drive and relies on cabs, uber or buses...i take it all is very far there..i.e. good grocery stores, shopping etc...i assume you have to drive to rapid city for alot of amenities..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota