Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 08:29 PM

4,876 posts, read 6,937,609 times

Advertisements

I just came from the cemetery in Hartford SD where I was putting flowers on my grandparent's grave. It's days before Memorial Day and the grass there does not look like it has been mowed at all THIS YEAR. I am appalled. I am not exaggerating when I say the grass on the entire cemetery was at minimum 9" long and longer in places. Abandoned cemeteries look better.

What's going on in this town. I know the school is planning on cutting all kinds of programs and not hiring needed staff since there is no money and the community doesn't seem to care. Then I see this ridiculous grounds-keeping and it makes one wonder about the community as a whole. I cannot believe that no one has complained.

Where's the town pride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 08:57 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,016,354 times
Just wondering....

How much are you send to the town to help maintain the Cemetery?

Lawn Cutting and Maintenance costs money...

Old 05-24-2018, 05:38 AM

50 posts, read 91,326 times
I am not aware of many cemeteries which are government owned/run. JMGG is making an assumption that this is a government run one. More details are needed before blaming Hartford government and the community in general.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:26 AM

4,876 posts, read 6,937,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Just wondering....

How much are you send to the town to help maintain the Cemetery?

Lawn Cutting and Maintenance costs money...

I do not live there. The plots are purchased so it's not like they have not received any monies from our family.

Yes, many cemeteries are owned by a particular religious denomination and are private. In SD most communities have a municipal cemetery as well which is the case here. There's usually a cemetery board that oversees maintenance and any rules guarding the cemetery as well as the cost of the plots.

When they finally get around to mowing, it's going to resemble a hay field unless they spend the time to bag it.

If you're looking for excuses, there really isn't any.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:45 AM

50 posts, read 91,326 times
I stand corrected and agree with you if it is community run. As years go on, I am finding many cemeteries being poorly run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
View detailed profiles of: