Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 03:00 PM

5,953 posts, read 2,872,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Custer State Park is in the southern Black Hills of South Dakota near the town of Custer. The Custer Battlefield where General Custer got his ass beat is in southwestern Montana not far from the South Dakota border, but well north of the Black Hills . Two totally different venues.
My blunder, The battlefield filled my soul with sorrow for the US solders and what was to happen to the Native peoples in the coming decades .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 06:22 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Custer State Park is in the southern Black Hills of South Dakota near the town of Custer. The Custer Battlefield where General Custer got his ass beat is in southwestern Montana not far from the South Dakota border, but well north of the Black Hills . Two totally different venues.
Except it is south eastern Montana. Near Hardin.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:25 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Except it is south eastern Montana. Near Hardin.
You're supposed to KNOW what I meant and not catch the obvious blunder. After all if it's southwestern Montana, it sure as heck isn't close to the South Dakota border. Beat me with a wet rag.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:29 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
My blunder, The battlefield filled my soul with sorrow for the US solders and what was to happen to the Native peoples in the coming decades .
Unless you live here it's a pretty easy mistake to make.

I'm with you on the "feeling" walking around this. I got the same eerie feeling when I visited Gettysburg. It actually DID feel like I was walking on holy grounds. Somehow I felt very small.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:47 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
You're supposed to KNOW what I meant and not catch the obvious blunder. After all if it's southwestern Montana, it sure as heck isn't close to the South Dakota border. Beat me with a wet rag.
Yellowstone, Dillon, Big Hole Valley is southwestern Montana. Virginia City, Bannack are all southwestern Montana spots. I am all about being close(ish).

The battle of Little Bighorn leaves a lot to ponder. General Custer was arrogant as all get out. The Sioux have always been fierce fighters.

Before going completely off the rails. A decent half day in Wind Cave National Park would appropriate. Also, the Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park is time well spent.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:03 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
What other places besides these national parks are open?

Old 06-03-2020, 12:27 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
Could drive / get out and walk around Spearfish Canyon, Black Hills backcountry away from the major sites. Devils Tower.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:11 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Could drive / get out and walk around Spearfish Canyon, Black Hills backcountry away from the major sites. Devils Tower.
I was thinking about Devils Tower. I haven't been there in years. I never have been to Spearfish Canyon.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:50 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,767 times
I always curious how its it like in South Dakota these days especially this part of South Dakota as I heard this state seem to value normalcy more than the others. Is the atmosphere more relaxed including in these tourist attractions or around them?

Also what happens to their seasonal population both homeowners and motorhome travelers as well as those working seasonal jobs in this part of the state. I know that Cluster is one of those employers of seasonal jobs.

I know that South Dakota is more relaxed in legislation regulating behavior but what should one know about coming to South Dakota any thing that out of stater's should know that is unique to South Dakota including driving?

Old 08-31-2020, 08:35 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,209,968 times
How long would it take to drive the Wildlife loop at Custer SP. I understand it would be controlled by the Bison. I am debating on taking our dog with us while driving it where she can see Bison. Will there be areas where we could walk her to do her thing? I will be driving from Spearfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota