Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 01:47 AM

14 posts, read 6,450 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Little background.

I'm 66, will be retiring in September this year.
Looking to buy a small house just for myself, between 150 to 200K cash, directly from a cashed out 401k.
I'm coming from an area that homicides, robberies, theft, prostitution, and gang activity are common, and all this is just on my street alone.

Firstly, I'm assuming (actually praying) there are properties in my price range.

Criteria in order of importance:
1. Be in a safe and quiet area.
2. Be within 30 minutes or so from major hospital.
3. Hopefully be close enough for hiking, cycling and other outdoor activities.

I happen to love snow, rain and cold; grew up in the Boston area, so harsh winters are nothing new to me.

I'm really hoping this is going to work out, SD is my first and only choice! I'm drawn to SD for many obvious reasons!

Thank you in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 08:15 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acintya View Post
Hello,

Little background.

I'm 66, will be retiring in September this year.
Looking to buy a small house just for myself, between 150 to 200K cash, directly from a cashed out 401k.
I'm coming from an area that homicides, robberies, theft, prostitution, and gang activity are common, and all this is just on my street alone.

Firstly, I'm assuming (actually praying) there are properties in my price range.

Criteria in order of importance:
1. Be in a safe and quiet area.
2. Be within 30 minutes or so from major hospital.
3. Hopefully be close enough for hiking, cycling and other outdoor activities.

I happen to love snow, rain and cold; grew up in the Boston area, so harsh winters are nothing new to me.

I'm really hoping this is going to work out, SD is my first and only choice! I'm drawn to SD for many obvious reasons!

Thank you in advance for any responses.
You'll find multiple houses in that price range outside of a 30 mile radius of Sioux Falls. Nice safe small towns with only about a half hour commute to SF. There are some in Sioux Falls in that price range, but most aren't in very desirable neighborhoods. When checking out a particular area in SF it may look pretty good, but research it closely as some areas that used to be perfectly safe, aren't anymore. One thing to keep in mind though, our "bad" areas are considered safe and desirable if located in very large cities around the U.S. We measure "bad" differently.

If you look into the multiple hub cities in SD with medium size (10,000 - 25,000 population) having decent healthcare facilities, you'll find any number of houses for $ 150,000 to $ 200,000 still.

Hiking in eastern SD with beautiful vistas to look at are pretty limited. Lots of land to walk on, just not all that gorgeous. This is farm country. WESTERN SD with the Black Hills is a whole another story. I try to go out there at least once a year. I love visiting it, but it's not where I'd want to live. It will be harder in the Rapid City to find decent housing in your price range though.

One thing to note, when you're in Rapid City, the nearest city of any size that's much larger (including Sioux Falls) is well over 300 miles away. In Sioux Falls, Omaha is 175 miles, the Twin cities is 235 miles, Des Moines is 275 miles and even Kansas City is only about 375 miles away. Even Sioux City (should you want to go there for some reason) is only 90 miles away.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
You'll find multiple houses in that price range outside of a 30 mile radius of Sioux Falls. Nice safe small towns with only about a half hour commute to SF. There are some in Sioux Falls in that price range, but most aren't in very desirable neighborhoods. When checking out a particular area in SF it may look pretty good, but research it closely as some areas that used to be perfectly safe, aren't anymore. One thing to keep in mind though, our "bad" areas are considered safe and desirable if located in very large cities around the U.S. We measure "bad" differently.

If you look into the multiple hub cities in SD with medium size (10,000 - 25,000 population) having decent healthcare facilities, you'll find any number of houses for $ 150,000 to $ 200,000 still.

Hiking in eastern SD with beautiful vistas to look at are pretty limited. Lots of land to walk on, just not all that gorgeous. This is farm country. WESTERN SD with the Black Hills is a whole another story. I try to go out there at least once a year. I love visiting it, but it's not where I'd want to live. It will be harder in the Rapid City to find decent housing in your price range though.

One thing to note, when you're in Rapid City, the nearest city of any size that's much larger (including Sioux Falls) is well over 300 miles away. In Sioux Falls, Omaha is 175 miles, the Twin cities is 235 miles, Des Moines is 275 miles and even Kansas City is only about 375 miles away. Even Sioux City (should you want to go there for some reason) is only 90 miles away.
jmgg,

Thank you for responding!

My 4 main objectives are:
1. Finding a safe area
2. Within reasonable distant from healthcare
3. Home purchase under 200k.
4. Would be nice if was in the SW corner, for nature

I guess my choices will be either SW or SE
or
Look for any hub cities with medium size of 10,000 - 25,000 population.

SE, easy access to healthcare if needed, but not much in the area of nature.
Looking at Tea and Brandon

SW, easy access to healthcare if needed, plenty of nature.
Looking at Spearfish and Summerset

Does anyone else have any other areas I should be looking at?

Thank you.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:14 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
jmgg,

1. Finding a safe area

or

Thank you.
You didn't hear it from me but Spearfish is dominated by people with air b n b houses and is mostly about tourism. No one will say it but it's true. Might be unaffordable.

Beware some parts of SD are absolutely empty.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
jmgg,

1. Finding a safe area

or

Thank you.
Good luck finding decent houses under $ 200,000 in these communities. You might find an older bungalow there. If you do, at least the neighborhood it's in will be safe. These are 2 of the fastest growing towns in SD right behind Harrisburg. I WOULD move to Tea or Brandon before Harrisburg. Both of these communities are less than 5 miles from Sioux Falls. You need to look farther out from the city for truly affordable, decent housing options.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:36 AM

The more I look the more I'm shocked into reality! Most large cities crime rate in SD, are even higher then where I'm coming from, San Jose, CA!! Here in San Jose, Mexicans commit over 90% of violent crimes!

What ethnicity are committing the majority of crimes in SD??

Old 02-17-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The more I look the more I'm shocked into reality! Most large cities crime rate in SD, are even higher then where I'm coming from, San Jose, CA!! Here in San Jose, Mexicans commit over 90% of violent crimes!

What ethnicity are committing the majority of crimes in SD??
In Sioux Falls when it comes to violent crimes, and this may set some goody two-shoes who live in their own State of Denial off, it's African-Americans AND very often African Immigrants. Latino (not necessarily Mexican) and Native Americans also are pretty prevalent as well in violent crimes.

In property crimes and burglaries (especially breaking into cars) every nationality gets in the act.

The Mexican population in this area however, is by far the most productive when compared to the others I mentioned above. The largest % of these are hard working and simply trying to get ahead in life.

When you get away from Sioux Falls, you have to look out for roving bands of Norwegians

Old 02-17-2024, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
In Sioux Falls when it comes to violent crimes, and this may set some goody two-shoes who live in their own State of Denial off, it's African-Americans AND very often African Immigrants. Latino (not necessarily Mexican) and Native Americans also are pretty prevalent as well in violent crimes.

In property crimes and burglaries (especially breaking into cars) every nationality gets in the act.

The Mexican population in this area however, is by far the most productive when compared to the others I mentioned above. The largest % of these are hard working and simply trying to get ahead in life.
This makes me angry, real angry!!

How can this be allowed to happen to our once beautiful country that I love!!?? How can these savages be allowed to roam the streets and prey on the innocent and hardworking people, WITHOUT any HARSH punishment!!??

What region/area of SD should I be concentrating my search on, if any??!!

Should I go even further north to ND, to get away from this insanity that's destroying our country, or even be looking at Wyoming?!

Last edited by JLee01; 02-17-2024 at 11:36 AM..

Old 02-17-2024, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee01 View Post
This makes me angry, real angry!!

How can this be allowed to happen to our once beautiful country that I love!!?? How can these savages be allowed to roam the streets and prey on the innocent and hardworking people, WITHOUT any HARSH punishment!!??

What region/area of SD should I be concentrating my search on, if any??!!

Should I go even further north to ND, to get away from this insanity that's destroying our country, or even be looking at Wyoming?!
Why does it make you angry? What I stated isn't much different than the rest of the country. You asked for demographics and for Sioux Falls, that's what I stated. The difference is we have much less violent crime than you'll find throughout the country. The key is that in Sioux Falls, and I'll say for the rest of the state (with the exception of the reservations), if you create a violent crime the chance of not getting caught AND punished is next to zero.

A total Utopian location unless you want to live completely off the grid, doesn't exist.

Old 02-17-2024, 02:32 PM

It makes me angry because this is slowly becoming the "norm", slowly across our country, spreading like a virus!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota