Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:02 PM

251 posts, read 880,960 times

Advertisements

Anyone live in or near brookings? i want more information on that town if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,927,912 times
Brookings is a city of 18,000 to 19,000 people. It is a college town with South Dakota State University, which has over 10,000 students (some non-traditional). With SDSU as a D-1 school, it should help the school and Brookings with stepped up athletic competetion with big name schools and adding more prestige to the school and community. I have been to the city a few times and it is overall a decent city.

As for conveniences, it has a Wal-Mart Supercenter, Hy-Vee grocery, Lowe's, JC Penney, fast food restuarants, Perkins, and a number of local eating and retail places. The city is less than hour north of Sioux Falls, a city of 150,000 plus people (which has plenty of retail/eating options and is good if one needs additional healthcare services beyond the offerings of the hospital in Brookings. It is less than hour south of Watertown, which has a few more offerings (Herberger's department store, Menards (home improvement), Target, and Shopko).

The city is one that is doing well and is growing at a steady rate. It would be good to check it out.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 PM

251 posts, read 880,960 times
Thanks for the reply, how is the job market in that area of south dakota? mostly driving jobs,manufactoring jobs etc.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 AM

955 posts, read 3,649,891 times
Here is an older thread with a lot of this information as well

https://www.city-data.com/forum/south...okings-sd.html

Old 09-03-2008, 09:53 PM

271 posts, read 583,379 times
I am moving to brookings as well, i was wondering what electric,cable tv,internet and phone companies are there and which ones are the better? if there are more than 1.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,412,283 times
In Brookings, I'm fairly sure that there are only one company (Midcontinent) for cable/internet/phone. I'm not sure about electric though.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:49 PM

271 posts, read 583,379 times
Thanks for the information, do you know if they have a site? Can anyone who lives in brookings tell me the good and bad about brookings? A friend that is from there tells me its like a utopia.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,412,283 times
Midcontinent Communications Homepage

I've always had trouble finding pricing on their website though.

Haha, It might be Utopia for the college student... It is a "college town". It is progressive though. It's close to Sioux Falls (about 45 minutes). I find that it does maintain the "small town" atmosphere, much like the other "big" cities in SD (Watertown, Yankton, Huron, Pierre, etc).

Old 09-05-2008, 07:18 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,722,629 times
I have a few friends that go to SDSU in Brookings. It's an alcoholic students Utopia...

Old 09-05-2008, 11:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,927,912 times
I am sure that in Brookings, like Vermillion, that they have quite a few bars downtown and the ones there do good business. One that comes to my mind in Brookings is Cubbies. Both Vermillion and Brookings have a city-owned liquor stores and the city liquor stores are the only place where liquor is sold (outside a bar).

On to more productive topics, Brookings like a handful of other cities in South Dakota have municipal electric services. A good site to check to learn more about Brookings, SD is BrookingsSD.com - Brookings, SD Community Home Page (http://www.brookingssd.com/relocate.php - broken link). The city is growing more to the south and east. Overall, Brookings is a decent community and has the basics and is not too far from Sioux Falls for additional shopping and medical care. SDSU is handy if you are interested in taking classes for a possible degree and it is in the north part of Brookings. Most of the people in that direction are friendly and good-natured people. It would be good to check it out.

There are a few museums, an art museum and an agricultural museum, to check out and McCrory Gardens is in Brookings. SDSU is a D-1 schools, D-1AA in football, and is starting to play some of the bigger name schools and would be good to catch a game. I have heard from others that SDSU makes ice cream on campus and has marketed it in spots across the state (SDSU has the agricultural school in SD) and heard good things about it. I would recommond trying SDSU ice cream.

I cannot wait until USD and SDSU start playing D-1 games against each other and I will be rooting for USD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota