Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,894,117 times

Advertisements

Yes there is gang activity on the Pine Ridge Reservation. I guess I would suggest finding a group that does this kind of work and affiliate with such a group. It would be smoother and more organized that way. If you just show up, you might not get anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:56 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,164,575 times
I'm not sure if it's still in operation, somebody familiar with Rapid City can help me out.

Sioux Sanitarium is/was the ndn hospital in Rapid City. It is where all the health care was centered. I'm sure they are looking for volunteers. Even if it's moving people around: For instance, somebody in the hospital needs to go to xray, get an mri, colonoscopy, etc, they need pushers for wheel chairs. Housekeeping, yard maintenance, etc are all things you could do at the Sioux Hospital.

Once you proved yourself you might be able to move down to one of their clinics to help out there. (clinics on or near the rez.)

Old 11-23-2009, 12:03 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,894,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I'm not sure if it's still in operation, somebody familiar with Rapid City can help me out.

Sioux Sanitarium is/was the ndn hospital in Rapid City. It is where all the health care was centered. I'm sure they are looking for volunteers. Even if it's moving people around: For instance, somebody in the hospital needs to go to xray, get an mri, colonoscopy, etc, they need pushers for wheel chairs. Housekeeping, yard maintenance, etc are all things you could do at the Sioux Hospital.

Once you proved yourself you might be able to move down to one of their clinics to help out there. (clinics on or near the rez.)
Sioux San Hospital, it is ran by Indian Health Services.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 19,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl rose View Post
Hi

I'm thinking about relocating to South Dakota. I would like to volunteer during some of my free time at the Pine Ridge Reservation. Now this wouldn't be for quite a while yet, but I like to research in advance.

I met an Oglala Sioux man at an Indian Arts Festival this weekend in NJ. He lives in Martin, SD and that was his recommendation. Does anyone have any ideas..... what about Hot Springs? What is job availability and rental prices? I don't have a degree, so not counting on making much money. But I want to live close enough to the Reservation to volunteer during some of my free time.

What about Martin? Any job/rentals? Anywhere else close proximity to the Reservation?

How about Oelrich's?

Any other suggestions? How long of a ridge is it from Rapid City to Pine Ridge?

Thank you

Highly Recommend Red Cloud Indian School. They have a specific program for people who want to volunteer here. I went to school here and have some many wonderful memories of the volunteers who worked here. Some have came and gone while others stayed and became part of the community. You can live on campus and be surrounded by other volunteers.
VOLUNTEER PROGRAM :: Red Cloud Indian School (http://www.redcloudschool.org/volunteers/volunteers.htm - broken link)

Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 19,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Sioux San Hospital, it is ran by Indian Health Services.
mmm.. there are probably minimal volunteer opportunities. If your in school for a medical profession I would recommend setting up an internship type program through the commission core. Sioux San in Rapid City and Pine Ridge Hospital in located in Pine Ridge. Also there are several small clinics and dialysis centers in the area. Sioux San does not do procedures such as MRI, Colonoscopies or any type of surgeries. Most go to Rapid City Regional Hospital.

Recommended websites:

Public Health, Commissioned Corps

Aberdeen Area - Today (http://www.ihs.gov/facilitiesservices/areaoffices/aberdeen/aberdeen-area-today.asp - broken link)

Old 12-20-2017, 05:10 AM

1 posts, read 755 times
Hello, what I'm about to say is not easy.I know I'm not going crazy. There are many reasons why I'm now coming forward. Here goes...I believe I'm a Heyoka. Since a small child I've had some fear of clowns, but didnt know why. Long story short, I have always been guided by celestial spirits. I've been told by The Gray Wolf to go an speak with the Star Nation. I am to give them the message that the Gray Wolf wants them to rise as the Great nation of warriors we are. Take back what has been taken from us. Our pride, dignity, For the Guardians of the Universe and all in it to stand up now! As one people, one tribe, one nation. Don't forget the past and what great warriors, Lame Deer, Black Elk, and Crazy Horse were to their people. In my head, whomever it may be, is formulating a speech, I can hear the words. I must tell you I didn't know of the Lakota Tribe or its people or what is happening on the reservation. However, I do feel ,due to many, many signs throughout my lifetime there has been some kind of driving force within me to get to this point. I don't know why this is occurring to me especially,many around me say I should follow to where I'm being lead to for they see that this is of a supernatural occurrence. For they have heard me speak and feel my voice and words change.
I am afraid and I don't know what to do. Is there any one out there that may help me or know what is happening to me? I know this sound crazy,but what if you were me, what would you do? Perhaps,I am their hope....

Old 12-20-2017, 07:00 AM

4,886 posts, read 6,985,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grey Wolf View Post
Hello, what I'm about to say is not easy.I know I'm not going crazy. There are many reasons why I'm now coming forward. Here goes...I believe I'm a Heyoka. Since a small child I've had some fear of clowns, but didnt know why. Long story short, I have always been guided by celestial spirits. I've been told by The Gray Wolf to go an speak with the Star Nation. I am to give them the message that the Gray Wolf wants them to rise as the Great nation of warriors we are. Take back what has been taken from us. Our pride, dignity, For the Guardians of the Universe and all in it to stand up now! As one people, one tribe, one nation. Don't forget the past and what great warriors, Lame Deer, Black Elk, and Crazy Horse were to their people. In my head, whomever it may be, is formulating a speech, I can hear the words. I must tell you I didn't know of the Lakota Tribe or its people or what is happening on the reservation. However, I do feel ,due to many, many signs throughout my lifetime there has been some kind of driving force within me to get to this point. I don't know why this is occurring to me especially,many around me say I should follow to where I'm being lead to for they see that this is of a supernatural occurrence. For they have heard me speak and feel my voice and words change.
I am afraid and I don't know what to do. Is there any one out there that may help me or know what is happening to me? I know this sound crazy,but what if you were me, what would you do? Perhaps,I am their hope....

Here's a place to start.

https://www.healthgrades.com/psychia...d-south-dakota
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota