Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 23,257 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a newcomer to this site.
My name is Ben and I am from CT. I have been searching colleges, and have been accepted to some(U of New haven, Marist) but my parents don't know how they will fare when it comes to getting loans, so they want me to apply to a cheaper school. I have always wanted to come to the plains, and SDSU and USD are very , very inexpensive. I have heard that USD is a better academic school, while SDSU has a better social life. Can anyone give me any info on those schools, and also what is popular to do in South Dakota? Also any opinions on BHSU?

Last edited by bwalden7; 01-25-2009 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 06:00 PM

98 posts, read 510,873 times
It really just depends on what you want to go to school for, but both schools are great academically. For Engineering, Ag. stuff, nursing, pharmacy-SDSU ; for business stuff, USD -they also have the med school and law school but I don't think their premed,prelaw are any better than SDSU. I'm an SDSU alum, and I enjoyed my time there. Brookings is a WAY better town than Vermillion. In general, Brookings would exist fine without the college (lots of stuff to do, major employers) whereas Vermillion would basically disappear without the college. Regardless, they are both pretty small compared to East Coast standards.

SDSU is also farther along the D-1 trail if you are into athletics.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I would agree with SoDak 11 on most points but would like to add a few points. USD is in its first year of its D-1 transition and will be full-fledged in a few years. USD and SDSU have been fierce rivals when both were in the NCC conference during their D-II days. When the two may play in the future, the long-standing rivalry will likely be renewed.

Brookings and Vermillion each have their pros and cons. Brookings, as a city, is better than in Vermillion in several aspects: retail, cleaner, and more jobs/industries for college students (who may want employment while in school). Vermillion is about equal distance to Sioux Falls as Brookings and Vermillion is a little closer to Sioux City, IA and is a two-hour drive to Omaha, which it would be a four hour drive from Brookings. Both towns and schools are friendly overall.

Vermillion is smaller and may offer less, but can be a fun place and its older areas have more of an ivy league town feel. Vermillion resembles more of a Eastern US college town as opposed to Brookings, but both are decent places.

USD is also strong in other areas such as Political Science and Mass Communications. Alumni such as Pat O'Brien and Tom Brokaw, well-known national characters, went to school at USD. SDSU has its notables such as Tom Daschle and Adam Venetari.

USD is a liberal arts college and SDSU is a land-grant university and both produce many talented graduates. The professors at both are good professors and many of them care about the success of their students and are resourceful. Many professors make an effort to be easily approachable to students if the student has questions.

I am a granduate of USD and enjoyed my five years in Vermillion and have absolutely no regrets about going to college there. Many of my friends from high school went to USD and many others went to SDSU and most of them were happy with their choices.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 PM

What about Black Hills? I am actually most interested in that, but don't know anything more than what the site gave me?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Black Hills State is actually my fave of the three. I just hadn't posted anything about it because I don't know anything recent. My memories of it are when it was still BHSC back in the early/mid 70s. It was definitely a good college back then and the scenery there is very nice. My guess is that it could be a bit more expensive then the other two that you mentioned.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:28 PM

509 posts, read 1,349,272 times
Its a pretty good college if you're interested in computers or history type things, the dorms, when i visited them like 5 years old were kind of old and dingy.....I think they updated a couple of them though, they sit in a great location and have great programs, my dad got his degree from there when I lived in Deadwood.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Black Hills State University is my favorite too because I LOVE Spearfish, the town it is in. Coming from the East Coast you will probably be more interested in BHSU than SDSU or USD because BHSU has a much more liberal, progressive attitude than the party-attitude of SDSU or USD. SDSU and USD have a lot of frat guys, sporting events, and beer pong parties. BHSU just has a lot of protests, hippies, and of course- MJ.

Plus, BHSU is 10 minutes from two ski resorts, hiking trails, cliffs, lakes, and pretty much anything that has to do with mountains. Downtown Spearfish is also really cool. They have lots of boutiques, restaurants, cafes, and bookstores. Spearfish is my favorite town in South Dakota and BHSU is a very good school for teaching and business. BHSU is about $3000 per semester too.

Plus Brooking and Vermillion are SO BORING!!! AND COLD!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 11:30 PM

Danny, you should come to Verm town during D-Days. There is plenty to do and a lot of celebration. Yes, Vermillion can get wild from time to time, but can be a good time. Not everyone are frat and sorority people, but I know of a number who were part of that and many were good people. Vermillion and Clay County is one of the more liberal areas of the state and was one of the few counties voting for Gore and Kerry. Maybe not as liberal as Spearfish, but there are some liberal elements at USD and Vermillion.

I admit that Spearfish is a very nice community and is in a very scenic area. The people are friendly. There is a great restaurant there: Sanford's Grub and Pub. I was there with a couple of friends during a quick trip to the hills and it was a very good place to eat and interesting atmopshere. Spearfish is easy on the eyes compared to most other cities in SD.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 AM

Thanks guys. And thats funny you mention politics Danny, I am actually very conservative, which is a reason why I want to leave the East Coast(but the fact that Spearfish is leaning left doesn't change my mind, I will still love it). I am going for Business Administration, and their business school is good I hear. Also the main reason I want to go there over SDSU or USD is the scenery and area. In Connecticut, it is mainly suburbs and woods, but out there are hills and mountains and just looking at the pictures makes me excited. Thanks for all the help!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Good luck with your college search, bwalden7. Most of Western SD is conservative, which is not bad-just a different persective on issues, etc. Spearfish will be a good fit, based on your prefences. I would have to admit that Black Hills is more scenic than Brookings or Vermillion (along the I-29 corridor and are relatively flat). Vermillion is near the Missouri River, which has some wooded areas and tree-lined bluffs. Spearfish area in late May and June is absolutely gorgeous and the air is comfy and drier too. With 70 and 80 degree temps, it is very nice to be out. It can get hot there too in the summer, but generally stays milder than USD and SDSU in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota