Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,684 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the Police Officer position is still open?

What is the community view on the Police Dept. and the officer(s)?

I am a Police Officer from rural Wisconsin and I'm considering contacting Chief Strand regarding this position, but before doing so I would like to hear input from the people that live in Martin.

Any additional information or additional comment from the posted replies would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,686 times
I was born and raised in martin but moved away after HS and probably wouldn't move back there even though I still have family there due to my husbands career.

Martin is a small town but hard to get to know people espically if you don't give it a chance. Every small town has it's gossip however, it's nice for those who have kids in school and to be involved in the community. The people are nice and of course there is going to be some alcohol and related problems like most towns of its similarity. It is located between 2 Native American Reservations so there is a good-sized population of them in Martin.

Some say Martin is going downhill recently but as are other small towns with the popularity of the city life. The Co-OP just went out of business and the school board had to do some faculty downsizing. However, there are still people who deeply care about the Communtiy. YouthWorkers visit everysummer and there is still a fair also. People still comeback for reunions, holidays, fairtime and just for a small town visit.

The cops there sometimes get a "bad rap" for tailgating and not letting the young people be young like it used to be. and I think they feel like there is nothing else to do there espically since the cops have been known to harass them.
the City and county recently split up their departments but I'm not sure the status of it today. If you want more info you should just visit Martin, or contact the Bennett County Booster (newspaper) for an issue.

I don't want to give Martin a certain image because it depends of what you make of it, who you hang around with, and the decisions you make.

Hope this helps!!

Old 02-07-2007, 06:58 PM

25 posts, read 98,529 times
Default living in Martin

I worked for Kraft and spent a fair amount of time at one of the grocerys there plus have spent a lot of time visiting friends in Martin. As far as I can see it is just like any other small town. You have good, bad and indifferent people there. I was an EMT for several years in Oregon and saw just as many drunks, MVAs, stabbings and such around central Oreg and the Portland metropolitan area and small towns as around Martin. Drugs and booze are everywhere these days and yes, it affects the Native Americans really bad but it does a lot of whites too. Can't see why anyone would tell people not to live there. Our friends are mixed as one family has been there for years and the other 2 are fairly new. After all, the more people who move into town will help by bringing more taxes and school age students to the district which will help in the long run.
When you live in a small town you can expect gossip, noses in the air at new people and feeling like an outsider. It just takes awhile to fit in sometimes. If you act like being from another state or a large town or city makes you better than the locals they aren't going to accept you very well. I have seen that too darn many times and then the new folk get angry because they don't fit in but won't accept it might be their fault.
It seems like everywhere here is a long way from somewhere important. I have to drive 3 hours to get some medical procedures done, but living here outweighs the bad stuff by a long way. There are no local yarn shops but the internet is great for getting things you can't buy close by. Plus it's neat to become friends with the UPS and FedEx drivers who bring it. It can be like Christmas when you open the packages.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:01 PM

8 posts, read 39,867 times
hey everyone. i just wanted to clarify something. i said there was a huge alcoholism problem in martin. i never said it was a native american problem. from what i saw coming through the ER. it was close to 50-50. everyone just assumed i was only talking about indians... and i certainly was not!
just wanted to be clear. thanks!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,136 times
My husband and I may be moving to Martin. I am a public school administrator and a school psychologist. What are the chances of becoming emplyed there? How much is an average house going for theese days? It sounds like a great place to live. Rose Marie

Old 05-20-2010, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,871 times
Hi everyone...I'm Andra...I am from Europe and I have recently received a job offer in a restaurant from Martin. After reading all this messages, I am really starting to reconsider my decision. Is it really that bad? WHat other means of entertainment for the youth are there?...bars...anything...
Thank you

Old 07-29-2010, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
What about the local real estate tax rate road conditions electric service and building and zoning laws ? Any form of local government ?...Rick

Old 07-29-2010, 05:16 PM

19,728 posts, read 10,529,991 times
Martin SD website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota