Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,742 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone--

We are thinking of relocating to SD, but I have a question. I know that SD is a very religious state, and that's fine. However, we are not religious. Is SD a "Bible Belt" kind of state, where people would look down on us or try to convert us when they find out we do not attend church? We have a live and let live attitude. We are respectful of other people's beliefs, and hope that others are respectful of ours. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,493,535 times
There's a big difference, in being "Religious" and being a Christian. Church might be a good place, to meet people when you get here. Having said that, be a good neighbor..........you'll be fine.

ps. there are far more Christians, in SD than people, who consider themselves "Religious"..

Last edited by debey; 06-07-2009 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: can't type(or spell), before coffee

Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
I think you'll be fine, especially in Sioux Falls or Rapid City. Small towns basically congregate around church activities and they'd be far more judgemental than larger towns in the state. I grew up Catholic and I don't consider myself religious and I still have good relationships with Catholic people.

South Dakota isn't a "Bible Belt" state by any means. You'll find a lot of diversity in the larger towns.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:20 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,271 times
You'll find plenty of diversity in small towns, too. Keep in mind that the people of SD have soundly rejected sweeping abortion bans. We're not the narrow-minded fundamentalists some folks like to portray us as.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
No it wont be like the deep Bible belt south. The LDS and Jehovah Witnesses will be most obnoxious... The LDS are respectful. The JWs not so much.

If fact most people will be accepting and wont be pushy one way or another.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Ditto to what everyone else said!

Statistically, we are a Bible Belt state, but no one stands on the corner and begs you to join their church. The JW's do go door to door, but if you tell them you have your own church/belief system, and be polite, they'll leave in peace.

Stats show that my own city is over 80% Christian and it's much higher then most southern cities/towns so I can understand why you'd question it. I think most of us do attend church, but I actually consider myself to be more Spiritual then Religious even though I had a religious upbringing.

It's possible that someone would invite you to their church, but if you thank them and decline once, the subject would probably never come up again. You'll be fine.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:02 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,299 times
Yep, I agree with everyone else. Even in small towns, if you don't attend church, you are not frowned upon.

I'm like Jammie in that I'm more spiritual than religious. I don't attend church on a regular basis, but I still believe in something higher.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:25 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp444 View Post
Hi everyone--

We are thinking of relocating to SD, but I have a question. I know that SD is a very religious state, and that's fine. However, we are not religious. Is SD a "Bible Belt" kind of state, where people would look down on us or try to convert us when they find out we do not attend church? We have a live and let live attitude. We are respectful of other people's beliefs, and hope that others are respectful of ours. Thanks.
There are many people who attend church in South Dakota but it would be more tolerant than states in the bible belt. The two most common denominations are Catholic and Lutheran. I am a Lutheran but have several friends who are not religious and I have no problems with that and respect their beliefs. They have their beliefs and I have mine. South Dakota is a religious state but the difference between it (along with the Upper Midwestern states) versus some of the bible belt states (such as some of the Southern states) is that religion is more of a private and personal matter and not as much of a public discussion topic as opposed to the bible belt states.

The ones that drive a number of people (up here-Christian and non-Christian) nuts is the Jehovah's Witness people coming door to door and telling the doom and gloom stories and scaring people into their beliefs. I have come across them several times and held firm and say "no" (basically, I have my beliefs and do not want them scaring me into their set of beliefs).

You should not have any problems in most areas of the state. You will be fine in cities over 2,000 people for sure. Most smaller cities are fine, except there are a few very conservative close-knit ones (with a high percentage of elderly people) that may be tougher for non-religious people.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:35 PM

948 posts, read 2,790,973 times
I have been to church maybe twice in the last 15 yrs. and have never held my tongue to the fact. I suppose some may have their "internal thoughts" on that fact, but I don't recall anyone having pushed me to live otherwise except for my sister and she gave up on that long ago. On Sundays our neighbor happily waves as she heads-out, never bothering us as we tend to our yard. I work in a real estate office - nearly all my colleagues recognize themselves as Christians, but less than half attend on a regular basis.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 AM

479 posts, read 1,555,080 times
I wouldn't worry about it. People have politely invited me to their church, and we just say, 'We'll see.' We don't have a church where we are now at, but have in other locations. I've never had anybody push the issue to the point of making me feel uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota