Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which sports do you think are boring to watch on TV?
Soccer 50 28.90%
Rugby 13 7.51%
Ice Hockey 19 10.98%
Gymnastics 25 14.45%
Tennis 21 12.14%
Golf 72 41.62%
Archery 27 15.61%
Squash 26 15.03%
NASCAR 45 26.01%
Football 26 15.03%
Basketball 19 10.98%
Baseball 40 23.12%
Softball 22 12.72%
Lacrosse 14 8.09%
Bowling 36 20.81%
Figure Skating 20 11.56%
Cycling 34 19.65%
Swimming/Diving 13 7.51%
Badminton 20 11.56%
Fencing 21 12.14%
Judo 19 10.98%
Table Tennis 20 11.56%
Australian Rules Football 10 5.78%
Ultimate Frisbee 17 9.83%
Field Hockey 15 8.67%
Track and Field 10 5.78%
Cricket 25 14.45%
Curling 21 12.14%
Volleyball 6 3.47%
other (please explain below) 9 5.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:35 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Sailing. You left off sailing. There is a poster ranting over in a thread about the two women supposedly lost at sea for five months abou this. He says sailing is not a sport at all, since it can be done by any fat, drunk slob. I responded that I watched the America's Cup on TV and the racers look very active and so they must have left the fat slobs at the dock. He answered that the only thing more boring than sailing is watching sailing on TV. He added that if you see sailors doing anything at all it is because the wind is blowing that day.
Sailing requires skill, finesse, and strength.

Personally, I watched the America's Cup when it was in San Francisco Bay. Even for an enthusiast such as me, it's not compelling TV. But I certainly appreciate the sport.

That's kind of the problem with this thread. Some sports are a bit too nuanced for TV. But that doesn't make them any less valid.

Hemingway once wrote that there are only three sports, auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing. For those are the only sports in which you have a real possibility of dying. I'd add long-distance sailing events such as the Volvo to that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 06:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
American football (seems to need cheerleaders for entertainment & also seems to be all about advertisements!), baseball (lots of standing around nobody moving) & basketball (just looks like jogging up and down a small court to me & its hard to get exited about a score when you know that the opposition are going to go straight down the other end and likely score right back!). Now I know this 'looks' like I am having a dig at American sports but I am NOT trying to claim that any sport is 'better' than any other, just that it seems to me to be a 'cultural' thing, I am sure that if I was born 'over there' I would see things differently. I am no fan of cricket either and for the life of me I can't begin to see what NASCAR has to offer (but there again I've never seen it so I could be wrong but it sounds DULL (a bit like speedway)).

Old 11-15-2017, 10:51 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
American football (seems to need cheerleaders for entertainment & also seems to be all about advertisements!), baseball (lots of standing around nobody moving) & basketball (just looks like jogging up and down a small court to me & its hard to get exited about a score when you know that the opposition are going to go straight down the other end and likely score right back!). Now I know this 'looks' like I am having a dig at American sports but I am NOT trying to claim that any sport is 'better' than any other, just that it seems to me to be a 'cultural' thing, I am sure that if I was born 'over there' I would see things differently. I am no fan of cricket either and for the life of me I can't begin to see what NASCAR has to offer (but there again I've never seen it so I could be wrong but it sounds DULL (a bit like speedway)).
I'm an American (And a Southerner to boot) and I would rather be mauled by badgers than watch NASCAR and its 500 miles of left-hand turns. Then again, there are those who practically climax over the damned thing.

As far as American football and baseball are concerned, I think your remarks on culture are indeed correct. Both are sports that have a lot of nuance to them that isn't readily apparent to the casual observer. As I remarked in an earlier post, American football is really a chess match in a lot of ways. Baseball is wheels-within-wheels strategy. As a fan of both games, I would offer that baseball is the game with the most tension of all. A really good baseball game is almost exhausting to watch. But that's because I'm a student of the game.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 11-15-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
basketball, any level or gender...then American Ninja obstacle course racing...then cooking shows

^...mostly all stuff that I don't currently excel at

Old 11-19-2017, 02:34 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Which sports do you think are boring to watch on television?

I'm going for soccer. It's so boring because it's very low scoring. Ice Hockey is the same reason though I might watch the NHL playoffs if they air it. I'd much rather watch rugby than soccer for sure. I'm also going for tennis outside Wimbledon, Australian Open, French Open, and U.S. Open along with gymnastics, cycling, swimming, and cricket.
I voted for golf and bowling. I don't think golf is a sport.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:36 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm an American (And a Southerner to boot) and I would rather be mauled by badgers than watch NASCAR and its 500 miles of left-hand turns. Then again, there are those who practically climax over the damned thing.

As far as American football and baseball are concerned, I think your remarks on culture are indeed correct. Both are sports that have a lot of nuance to them that isn't readily apparent to the casual observer. As I remarked in an earlier post, American football is really a chess match in a lot of ways. Baseball is wheels-within-wheels strategy. As a fan of both games, I would offer that baseball is the game with the most tension of all. A really good baseball game is almost exhausting to watch. But that's because I'm a student of the game.
Badgers aren't particularly bad, though.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:25 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Which sports do you think are boring to watch on television?

I'm going for soccer. It's so boring because it's very low scoring. Ice Hockey is the same reason though I might watch the NHL playoffs if they air it. I'd much rather watch rugby than soccer for sure. I'm also going for tennis outside Wimbledon, Australian Open, French Open, and U.S. Open along with gymnastics, cycling, swimming, and cricket.
My favorites, in order, are horse racing, football, baseball, golf, ice hockey, tennis. But I'll watch just about everything except cycling.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:10 PM

308 posts, read 237,375 times
American Football,sorry to all you Americans,theres a fair bit i like about your country,but American Football is AWFUL.Stop and start every 10 seconds.Id rather watch paint dry.

Marginally worse is golf,probably the worst sport ever invented.Tedious and boring to watch,never mind ever meeting anyone who plays this awful game.

Id go for Formula 1 Motor Racing as well.Its like watching traffic.I can look out of the window and do that

Old 11-25-2017, 07:41 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
American Football,sorry to all you Americans,theres a fair bit i like about your country,but American Football is AWFUL.Stop and start every 10 seconds.Id rather watch paint dry.

Marginally worse is golf,probably the worst sport ever invented.Tedious and boring to watch,never mind ever meeting anyone who plays this awful game.

Id go for Formula 1 Motor Racing as well.Its like watching traffic.I can look out of the window and do that
That's okay. But you know, if you live in England, soccer is the most entertaining sport to watch.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:37 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
America is built upon capitalism. A free society has free enterprise. Products are manufactured, and sold, and distributed to the greatest people on Earth: CUSTOMERS.

America becomes the richest nation in the world. Why?

Capitalism.

WHY are commercials shown?

Not only does it help players relax, but so that products may be presented, and products may be sold.

And American capitalism may continue to flourish.

American ingenuity.
The fact that you think the commercials are the best part is rather damming of the sport don't you think! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports