Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 11:19 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times

Advertisements

Mikaela Shiffrin is the best alpine ski racer on the planet. She has the most World Cup wins in history. She’s mid-career and could set a wins record that will never be equaled if she stays healthy and interested.

The US has lots of athletes who are globally dominant in their sport. There are lots of international sports that aren’t NFL football or soccer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 07:26 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Why is the US so isolated from international competition in sports in general?

Because the US is no longer a capitalist democracy and operates as an oligarchy. It's all about the broadcasting dollars/profits which the NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA deliver in spades. Sports like Swimming and Track & Field for instance where the US dominates in the Olympics are relegated to every two-year coverage by whichever network covering the games. If Michael Phelps for instance hadn't been caught smoking marijuana it makes one wonder how obscure he would have been otherwise, despite a career that generated 23 gold medals and several world records. Overall a sad state of affairs and the US in the end is lucky we have so many talented/dedicated athletes who work so hard in anonymity to represent us.

Old 10-16-2023, 02:27 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
If this is true then the US is missing out:-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...ory-sport.html

I am more of a football (soccer) fan really but I do like the odd game of rugger but the games over this weekend were something else! The Ireland v New Zealand game and the France v South Africa game were incredible, I don't hold out much hope for England or Argentina in the semi-finals!

Old 10-16-2023, 09:46 PM

21 posts, read 5,496 times
as much americans think that world looks up to them for sport it is just not true nobody cares about nfl nba or mlb around the world and evidence is how many players there is in these leagues compared to football and different world nationalities. That is why these leagues here in country that coud care less about these sports but go there jut to get money contacts for tv. nobody is trying to compete with usa in baseball or basketball or nfl but americans want to compete in football rugby winter sports and few others

Old 10-18-2023, 07:14 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball1982 View Post
as much americans think that world looks up to them for sport it is just not true nobody cares about nfl nba or mlb around the world and evidence is how many players there is in these leagues compared to football and different world nationalities. That is why these leagues here in country that coud care less about these sports but go there jut to get money contacts for tv. nobody is trying to compete with usa in baseball or basketball or nfl but americans want to compete in football rugby winter sports and few others
This is simply not true. Some of the best players in the NBA (Luka, Giannis, Jovic) are from Europe. The best and most unique baseball player since Babe Ruth is from Japan. MLB is loaded with stars from Central America, 32% of MLB players are Latino. NFL games in Europe are selling out in hours. How can you possibly explain this if "nobody cared" about our sports?

Old 12-29-2023, 04:36 PM

943 posts, read 782,095 times
There are international basketball (FIBA), international baseball, and believe it or not an international American football (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...rican_Football) competitions. They just are culturally irrelevant. Winning those competitions just don't carry any weight. I think if they were broadcast on regular broadcast TV it might become more popular.

The world baseball classic does get a following in Japan and Dominican Republic, etc. No one cares about the American football international competition both because it is not popular outside of the USA but also because the level of play is very low since those sports are not established well in other countries.

FIBA-- the international football games are somewhat popular, but winning a domestic is more important especially in the USA.

Old 12-29-2023, 04:39 PM

943 posts, read 782,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Think the international competition is just low in soccer/football? Think again, you don't see them being all hyped up when their basketball or NFL-style football national teams play either. I have to wonder is it to avoid seeing the pressures of anti-American sentiment or is it because America is not United enough as a country? And you can't use the excuse either that the rest of the world don't give a **** about our sports. Explain how basketball got so prevalent in Europe and Australia and baseball in Japan and Latin America...
We Americans like tennis, track and field, and golf swimming, etc. Boxing also has many international competitions. We don't find most foreign team sports interesting and that is not a problem. I don't see this weirdness towards Americans having different interest than other countries it seems chauvinistic. At the end of the day, you can't force people to like a sport.

Old 12-30-2023, 04:12 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This is simply not true. Some of the best players in the NBA (Luka, Giannis, Jovic) are from Europe. The best and most unique baseball player since Babe Ruth is from Japan. MLB is loaded with stars from Central America, 32% of MLB players are Latino. NFL games in Europe are selling out in hours. How can you possibly explain this if "nobody cared" about our sports?
I completely agree with this. The post by bball1982 makes zero sense. Baseball, basketball, and hockey are all world sports, meaning much of the best talent comes from outside the USA. Hockey, the best players come from Canada, Scandanavia, Russia, and Europe. There is a reason why the USA does not win a medal every four years at the men's hockey Olympics.

There are also more asians than ever playing in the MLB, in addition to the stars from Central America and South America.

Old 12-30-2023, 04:26 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
We like to dominate. If the US wins at the world level that's great, but we don't see much reason to watch sports where were just another contender. It's an expectation of American exceptionalism. This isn't a great trait but I believe it's true.

Also, watching the best in the world is more fun. I can enjoy the MLS but don't expect 100 million others to. The NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL have no peers. Regardless of the nationality of the players (who we're happy to adopt as ours), they're our leagues.

PS, I highly recommend the major bicycling tours. On the West Coast I can get up in the morning and watch the last half hour usually before hitting my desk. The Tour de France is especially interesting...I want to visit almost literally every town or natural area it goes through, and wish we could build roads and places as well as they do.

Old 01-01-2024, 07:48 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Think the international competition is just low in soccer/football? Think again, you don't see them being all hyped up when their basketball or NFL-style football national teams play either. I have to wonder is it to avoid seeing the pressures of anti-American sentiment or is it because America is not United enough as a country? And you can't use the excuse either that the rest of the world don't give a **** about our sports. Explain how basketball got so prevalent in Europe and Australia and baseball in Japan and Latin America...
"is it to avoid seeing the pressures of anti-American sentiment or is it because America is not United enough as a country?"

None of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports