Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2024, 08:40 AM

32,178 posts, read 34,852,961 times

Advertisements

This topic comes up frequently in forums and in the comments on SM posts. Someone will say "You do know we have YouTube videos of _______, right? I went back and watched all of their games. So don't tell me that I don't understand just because I was born in 2002."

Today, we can easily Google box stats and pull up videos of athletes from almost any time during the 20th Century. But how much of the overall experience of watching something like Ali-Frazier do you miss watching the event on YouTube 50 years after the fact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 11:24 AM

17,454 posts, read 15,592,766 times
The excitement, the uncertainty, the anticipation, etc.
Can only be captured in real-time/live.

I love watching highlights and old hockey or soccer games, but that's just to relive those moments, and appreciate the display of skill, speed, strength. Not so much for "excitement."

Old 05-03-2024, 06:05 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
The excitement, the uncertainty, the anticipation, etc.
Can only be captured in real-time/live.

I love watching highlights and old hockey or soccer games, but that's just to relive those moments, and appreciate the display of skill, speed, strength. Not so much for "excitement."
Agree. And the excitement is 95% of the draw to sport. The fact you can watch endless old sports videos on YT with no one really caring about copyright infringement tells you how low value non-live sport is.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:23 AM

4,059 posts, read 2,405,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This topic comes up frequently in forums and in the comments on SM posts. Someone will say "You do know we have YouTube videos of _______, right? I went back and watched all of their games. So don't tell me that I don't understand just because I was born in 2002."

Today, we can easily Google box stats and pull up videos of athletes from almost any time during the 20th Century. But how much of the overall experience of watching something like Ali-Frazier do you miss watching the event on YouTube 50 years after the fact?
I don't see the difference, tbh. If you have a smart tv you can watch the Knicks winning the last NBA chip in '73 on your tv. Or the Super Bowl in '72, I believe, when the Dolphins had their undefeated season. I think it's better to watch those old reels because you can watch it on a big screen.

Old 05-08-2024, 02:08 PM

14,726 posts, read 14,711,255 times
I mean, there’s still more excitement seeing things in real time. I’m watching the Madrid/Munich Champions League match and it’s much more thrilling live than watching the Paris/Dortmund highlights were on YouTube. It’s a way to feel you were “there” without actually being there, plus if you have family/friends who are fans you can experience it together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports