Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 09:43 AM

8 posts, read 29,567 times

Advertisements

I work for a human resources and career services firm here in Springfield, and I recently had to investigate the crime rate here in an attempt to get people interested in moving to the area.

Yes, to everyone who lives here's surprise, our crime rate on average is fairly high. In fact, our overall crime rate total for 2004 was worse than the national average. To see the stats, visit Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
However, those areas are concentrated areas. Most places here aren't crime-ridden by any means. I was quite shocked when I saw the stats. In terms of our town being dirty. You've got to be kidding. And our hospitals? Well, the north side hospital is older than the south side hospitals, so it looks a bit more worn, and it doesn't have all the latest and greatest equipment, but the other hospitals do. Check out St. John's Health System. Great hospital with great facilities and clinics.

Sales positions. I have quite a few friends that are pharmaceutical reps in the area. Ely-Lily and Sanofi-Aventis might be your best bets. You'll have to travel to surrounding cities, but that's with most sales positions. There are other sales positions available in the area as well. It's just very competitive because they are highly coveted jobs. I know some of my friends make nearly 80 to 90 a year after bonuses and such, but they're not playing golf in the middle of day like some reps do.

It'll be a hard price to get in this area. We have a low cost of living. Check out salary.com's site to compare your area to ours and what salary you would need to maintain your cost of living.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam9915 View Post
Yes, the companies employ you...just thought there would be many of these jobs due to the hospitals. This is a wonderful site but can be very confusing. I have heard so many good things about Springfield until this morning I read about how high the crime rate is and how run down and dirty the hospital and town is??? Maybe I need to rethink this!!! : (
You've got to be kidding! The others have given you bad advice. I've lived here for over six years and have never had any trouble with any of that. It all depends on where you live too. The north side of town is not so great. There south side is clean, definitely not run down, and has little crime. Also, I was in the hospital a little over a year ago for heart surgery and I had the best possible care that I could imagine receiving. Please don't base your decisions on a few bad reviews. That's my two cents.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:00 PM

187 posts, read 1,023,083 times
I live in Springfield, and there isnt a single street here that I am afraid to drive down. There is no "ghetto", like you'd find in cities like St Louis or Kansas City. That said, there are a few hoods around who like to vandalize and stuff like that. The property crime rate is fairly high, but the violent crime rate is pretty low. The south side, say south of Grand, is as safe of an area as you'll find anywhere. Most of the crime happens on the north side of town, and another area surrounded by Grand on the south, Kansas Expressway on the west, Kimbrough on the east, and College on the north.

Run-down? Sure, there are some run-down areas. One of the things I dont like about Springfield is the lack of charm in its older neighborhoods. There are only a couple of older neighborhoods with any charm - the area around Missouri State U, and a small area immediately north of Drury University. Other than that, the older neighborhoods are your typical wood bungalows, many of them smaller and run-down.

There are many newer, nice parts of town, though.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:05 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,343,165 times
I live in Illinois - and the local paper just posted that St. Louis is #1 for Crime rates - OUcH I am 1 hour away from St. Louis and I have never felt safe going there ..and wont at night!

Like all areas there are certain areas that you just dont go into!

As far as hospitals I do not know the hospital there ...but the town I live in ..wow that hospital is BIG lol my hospital is often refered to as the bandaid station.

I lived in Ok for a year about 20 years back........and I have to say they had the cleanest most professional hospitals I have ever been in! I had my son at Presbytarian in OKC. - Now the clinics in OKC - were disgusting !!! (my hubby was military and they lost his records so I have first hand knowlege of this!)

I think the crime rate is going to raise - people are loosing jobs right and left ..industry is leaving the states! bigger cities will be effected harder first!
That is my oppionion .........

Old 01-27-2007, 12:49 PM

184 posts, read 1,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcraft79 View Post
I work for a human resources and career services firm here in Springfield, and I recently had to investigate the crime rate here in an attempt to get people interested in moving to the area.

Yes, to everyone who lives here's surprise, our crime rate on average is fairly high. In fact, our overall crime rate total for 2004 was worse than the national average. To see the stats, visit [mod]linking to competitors sites is not allowed[/mod]
That is an excellent site to go to. Thank you!

SPRINGFIELD, MO NEWS REPORTS

From Jan. 12 - Jan. 20 2007 58 home burglaries and 30 auto thefts were reported in Springfield, Missouri. Police have received additional reports of mail theft in recent days.

Springfield, MO is located in Greene County where domestic violence rate is nearly double the state's average, due in part to the area's high rate of methamphetamine usage.

Increase in crime in Springfield MO-- do you think comes from the gang activity that is on the increase here?

[url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/missouri/39178-gangs-springfield-mo.html[/url]

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 PM

226 posts, read 1,000,018 times
I'm thinking of moving to Springfield area and after reading what gonefishing has been writing, I'm having second thoughts.

I'm from Phoenix, AZ and the crime is really bad here. I was thinking I would feel safe and that it would be a good place for my kids.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:41 PM

184 posts, read 1,212,862 times
Manyof us moved to Springfield and became Realtors....lots of money to be made if you are good in sales.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:02 AM

76 posts, read 394,937 times
If the crime is higher in the northern part of Springfield, does that affect the surrounding towns like Marshfield or is it far enough away?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:04 AM

339 posts, read 1,425,532 times
All should note that the crime stats listed were during the time that power was off and crooks were taking advantage of the situation. What should be added here is that neighbors formed armed patrols that quickly brought an end to this.

As for meth, the new laws are working I think. If you are not in the drug culture, the meth problem is pretty much hidden from view.

c3bunny, Marshfield is a 20 minute trip through open countryside from Springfield. It seems like a very nice small community.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:42 PM

76 posts, read 394,937 times
Thanks for the info Ozarks21. I don't believe that there is really anyplace that has no crime. As long as we are aware of what's around us and keep our eyes open then we should be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area