Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,095 times

Advertisements

I live in California now but my husband wants to move to Missouri, since his whole family lives in Missouri one of his sisters lives in Aurora Mo and his other Sis and parents live in Verona Mo.
My Husband is basically fed up with all traffic and high rents in California I personally don't really care for it I have lived in California for all my life but I get where my husband is coming from it is getting expensive living out here since we have to children.So we both agreed on moving to Mo and trying it out.but sometimes I do get scared since to me is a huge change and afraid that things don't turn out the way we thought it would.
MY in-laws and Sister in laws all tell me is very cheap over there and that there's alot of job opportunity in Mo.
They also tell me school s are grate since my son will be starting Kinder and since my son was diagnosed with general epilepsy they also tell me they are good Pediatric Neurologist there too.
Ijust want someone's opinion or someone to tell if what my in-law s are telling us is true and they are not just telling us just so that we move there lol
I been to Mo 2years ago to visit I thought it was Beautiful very calm and relaxing but I know is not the samething visiting to actually moving there.
I JUST NEED SOMEONE TO TAKE MY DOUBTS AWAY and to tell me what I should expect the good and bad LOL
I WILL BE Moving Before December to Monett Mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 03:06 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,477 times
Many Californians have a difficult time adjusting to Missouri. Likewise, some of us have trouble adjusting to Californians.
It might be just the ticket for you. On the other hand, it might be the ruination of your life.

I used to live near Verona, and it is a nice quiet town with good people. I find it difficult to believe that it would be a great school for a child with a epilepsy or any other such severe malady. The nearest pediatric neurologist would have to be in Springfield, not a far distant drive, but not real close either.

I am not the person to take away your doubts. I want to plant doubts, for I don't want you to uproot, spend thousands to move and then find within a year or two that you are miserable. Californians, or as I like to describe them, Califoreigners, who find themselves miserable make it miserable for the rest of us. I run into some of them from time to time here in Rolla, and I have suggested that if they are so unhappy, they should return to Californian.

How much better it would be for all of us if most Califoreigners just stayed there. There are a few, very few, who thrive here. A fellow named Curmudgeon is one. There are some around Branson. But, frankly, I don't know how any California resident is going to enjoy Verona. It's a fine Missouri place; I lived near there and liked the whole area, but it is not a place for Califoreigners.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:39 AM

694 posts, read 1,357,410 times
Cynthia - Missouri will be what you want to make it and your interaction with your neighbors, will be similar to how you relate to your friends in California now. Depending on where you live in California, you could find the weather much different - we have four distinct seasons, and the scenery much different - we lack snow covered mountains, redwoods, ocean beaches, and deserts. You should find the people of Missouri more friendly, and more welcome than what you are used to, but you may also find they are more apt to express their opinion. They might seem a little guarded at first when you try to get to know them, but once they figure out you 'come from good stock', they will do anything for you. The area, in general, is politically conservative, and you will find religion plays a large role in this area. That is not to say you can't be the biggest liberal that ever lived, and never step foot in a church, and get along just fine - but your support base will just be a lot smaller.

This area is heavily populated with retirees, many ex pat Californian's, and Springfield offers outstanding medical facilities for you family. You child will have more to fear from chiggers and ticks in Missouri than gang members with guns or random bullets flying around (although hunting season can bring out some real winners some years). The only thing that should send you scurrying for cover in these parts are tornadoes, and fortunately, you will typically get a lot more warning of the possibility of one of them falling from the sky, than you ever would of an idiot with a gun driving thru your neighborhood.

As to your specific question about Monett, if you are a city girl, you will have to adapt to a much slower and what may might seem at first, a much more boring lifestyle. While I can not speak specifically of present job opportunities, Monett does offer some larger manufacturers. While a typical small SW Missouri town, Monett also offers a little more diversity than many of its neighbors, primarily due to a chicken processing plant, that hires many Hispanics.

Following a spouse across the country is a reason why many people have relocated in their lives, and sometimes it turns into a huge test of that relationship, and sometimes it solidifies the marriage. If you come to Missouri with an open mind, you might find that calm lifestyle fits you well. But some don't. Some find their relaxation in the hustle and bustle and you won't find much of that down here.

My wife moved here from Rhode Island and at first, she found it difficult. The humidity hit her hard, she missed the beach, and she found it incredibly boring. But as she slowed down, she started adapting, and now when she talks to family in Rhode Island - she just shakes her head at all the drama they thrive on. I always remind her that when I met her - she was the drama mama. She loves it her now, but she does make a few trips each year to Florida to spend time on the beach.

Best of luck to you in your decision.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
A Curmudgeon, whazzat? Cynthia, you're going to find SW Missouri very different from the Norwalk, La Mirada, Downey, Whittier area. No Clearman's Steak 'n Stein or North Woods Inn. No In-N-Out Burger, Whole Foods (Paycheck) or Trader Joe's. As a trade-off there will be few if any sirens, no gun shots but for hunters in season (and maybe a poacher or two), sports shooters and best of all, no ghetto birds overhead at night, sprawl, crowds, or traffic. Better than that, people are friendly, welcoming and helpful so long as you never let these words escape your lips: "Well, back in California we had.... and did things this way.

You'll have to get used to four distinct season but none of them are usually hard to take and can be gorgeous. Our first year here it snowed overnight on Christmas Eve so we awoke to a White Christmas. What a beautiful welcome to the Ozarks, complete with a brilliant, scarlet cardinal framed by the bed of snow under the oak trees out back and rabbit, squirrel, chipmunk, fox and other bird tracks across the yard. In most places it's open yards without privacy fences. Part of the Midwest/Southern charm.

As I've been writing we've had thunder, lightening and a good downpour which turned into a gentle rain. We appreciate that, as many do, because we grow a lot of our own vegetables here. Some are kinda expensive in the stores. But looking out over a large lake from our front deck can't be beat.

By the way, Ozarksboy (we've met and are friends) alluded to me as a Californian. Well, I used to be. Now I'm an Ozarker. But Missouri is one of nine states in which I've lived; some more than once. I do know a bit about California having been born on Coronado Island in San Diego, lived in La Jolla, raised on Lido Isle in Newport Beach, lived in Whittier, Santa Monica, Costa Mesa, San Bernardino, Riverside, Bakersfield and, for my last 20 years in the state, Sacramento. I get around. My wife is also a CA native from northern California. We're both state retirees as political and legislative analysts.

We moved to the Aux Arcs on purpose and because this was where we both wanted to be due to prior experience. We couldn't be happier. I hope you are as pleased and content here as we are.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 08-29-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 12:46 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
My advice to you (and I'm a transplant too) is to make a long visit and see how it suits you. If that is not feasible, then I would suggest either coming out here and living with your in-laws, or renting. There's really no way to know if you'll feel "at home" here until you try it; at least if you don't buy, you're not as locked in.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:43 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
I lived in that area for many years, having moved there at age 4. There are many beautiful areas of the Ozarks - lakes, rivers, mountains. If you like camping and hunting and fishing you'll be happy. Many transplants to SW Missouri love it. Others find the clannishness, prejudices, low wages and limited opportunities very unsettling. When I go back to visit now, I enjoy seeing my friends & family, the wildflowers, and lightening bugs; the dogwood and lilacs in Springfield where I lived for a long time. After 3 days I can't find much to eat or do that I desire! I wouldn't visit in the winter if you paid me. My 2 sisters however, still live in Springfield, all their kids are nearby (1 in St. Louis), and you couldn't pry any of them out of the area with a crowbar.

Yes, the schools are pretty good, I will admit that. Medical care in Springfield is excellent.

It is so different than where you live now, I encourage you to take the above advice about renting for a time, and see if you can possibly store most of your belongings for the time being.

Does your husband have a lead on a job that can support your family?

Old 08-30-2014, 05:36 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,657,870 times
Cynthia, you said your husbands family is from the area. Have you spent much time visiting them? Does your Husband have a job lined up? I ask these questions because any move from the West Coast to Missouri shouldn't be done on a whim. I too, have plane to relocate to Missouri from California, like your Husband all my kin live in Missouri.
Jobs don't pay the wages you get use to our west, cost of living is lower though, so that helps some, but from what I've heard, a good job might be hard to get..
As for you, you spend much time in Mo? I've brought my wife out for several weeks in every season over tha last decade..weather is such a factor for Calyforiegners, because we aren't use to any weather extremes unless you live up in the Sierras..
I'd just suggest a couple of long visits before jumping into a move. There was a poster on here several years ago from Southern California. She posted weekly how may days till she moved, every week she was closer and more excited. She finally made the move and after a month her posts were less and less. Her last post just said "I hate it here"
So make sure it's what you want to do....don't know the percentages but I'd bet half or more of Ex-Cali people don't like it because of weather, bugs, no friends, boring, no Shopping, or just don't like anything due to homesickness

Old 08-31-2014, 03:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,994 times
Cynthia,

KUMED, the regional hospital is ranked #12 by US News Best 100 hospitals. The hospital is located in Kansas. I would take the trip and take risks. You can actually listen to any radio station online. Tune in to a station in Missouri and you will hear from the local people on news. On the weather, there is lots of humidty. And we do have the tornado season. It took me awhile to get use to that. But once you learn how to read the skies, the confidence comes. Missouri is 3/4 state agricultural. Have you done any research online on Missouri? The visitors bureau will send you brochures. And I think there's a brochure on when you relocate. Many famous people came from Missouri. I live here and California is my home state.

Cheers ~

Jackie

Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,656 times
Monett is a very good small town that's full of decent people. It has a good school system. Local medical care is adequate but in relatively near by Springfield or Joplin you can find any kind of medical care you need. Likewise for major shopping. When I say near by, I mean 60 minutes. I grew up in Monett so I'm probably prejudiced but I have to say that having lived in several foreign countries as well as several states, and in quite large cities, I will be moving back to the area to retire.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:16 PM

99 posts, read 231,869 times
40-year Californian. Seven years in Springfield and environs. Mostly NorCal with a few years in SoCal.

Would not return to California and wish I could flee this part of the planet for my own reasons but unable to do so. Much depends upon your persona but I wish I could flee a cohort of what I view as an ignorance-loving cohort of what term would best describe what I despise? Perhaps "hillbilly" is one term or maybe just basic "trash" fits best.

If you come to Missouri all the best to you. You may thrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area