Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 06:23 PM

46 posts, read 49,946 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking to relocate and retire outside of Springfield about a hour or so works for me. Son will be a freshman and daughter a senior so... anything you can tell me about the high schools would help greatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,412,515 times
Willard is nice.

brushrunner

Old 10-29-2014, 06:02 PM

367 posts, read 767,529 times
Are you looking for specific qualities in a high school. The best run districts are in Ozark and Nixa. Each Springtown H.S. has it's own pros and cons. Mt. Vernon has a super tight all around program. Some have red flags depending on your reservations. Area ones can be good or bad based on a list of priorities. I can't elaborate much more than that.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols44 View Post
Are you looking for specific qualities in a high school. The best run districts are in Ozark and Nixa. Each Springtown H.S. has it's own pros and cons. Mt. Vernon has a super tight all around program. Some have red flags depending on your reservations. Area ones can be good or bad based on a list of priorities. I can't elaborate much more than that.
At the moment both kids are honor students math and science, they become bored unless they are pushed. As any parent can tell you a bored kid at school is just a problem waiting to happen. I'm looking for a decent size high school, current HS is just a tad over a 1000 students. I've seen a few high schools listed as about 300 to 500 students, I'm thinking they simply may not have the budget to provide all the programs that my kids enjoy. My kids have been exposed to school of all sizes given that we are a military family so I know that a smaller school is limited at times and other times a large school is simply over crowded. It is never an easy thing to sort out.

Can you explain what you mean by "super tight"?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2014, 09:17 PM

My version of super tight is a very condensed and highly organized program without the usual sprawl of larger cities. If your children are high achievers you might want to look up high schools with dual credit options for Ozarks Technical College and Missouri St.

Springfield, Republic and Rogersville high schools enable their students to attend OTC's middle college program.

OTC has plenty of perks associated with it's honors program. A co-workers daughter finished her two years at the top of her class and received a full ride to MSU.

Finally, Central H.S. has the only area international baccalaureate program.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
My version of super tight is a very condensed and highly organized program without the usual sprawl of larger cities. If your children are high achievers you might want to look up high schools with dual credit options for Ozarks Technical College and Missouri St.

Springfield, Republic and Rogersville high schools enable their students to attend OTC's middle college program.

OTC has plenty of perks associated with it's honors program. A co-workers daughter finished her two years at the top of her class and received a full ride to MSU.

Finally, Central H.S. has the only area international baccalaureate program.
Thank you very much, I have in-laws in the area who can't stop recommending Rogersville and from what I can see that might work out nicely. Republic seems hit and miss with reviews, can't seem to find a negative thing about Ozark or Rogersville, I'll dig into the OTC that might be the ticket for keeping my son invested in school, currently he is in a robotics club that has turned him around in school.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:35 AM

No excellent robotics programs in the immediate area however, Lebanon (an hour east of Springfield) has a reputable high school program and participates in FIRST competition state wide. The natural progression for your son would be another hour east in Rolla. Missouri S&T's curriculum is taylor made and recognized nationally for it's accomplishments and achievements.

OTC might be a cost effective way of obtaining a high quality A.A. at the fraction of the cost of four year institutions.

Contact Tiffany Archer (OTC CIS dept head) and ask what classes will be held at the main and Lebanon branch campus'.

I would research what dual credit classes each H.S. offers that transfers to an OTC, Missouri St. and S&T to fast track your son and daughter's academics.

Ditto for a H.S.'s participation in a Missouri's A+ program (two yrs tuition free).

Old 11-03-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
No excellent robotics programs in the immediate area however, Lebanon (an hour east of Springfield) has a reputable high school program and participates in FIRST competition state wide. The natural progression for your son would be another hour east in Rolla. Missouri S&T's curriculum is taylor made and recognized nationally for it's accomplishments and achievements.

OTC might be a cost effective way of obtaining a high quality A.A. at the fraction of the cost of four year institutions.

Contact Tiffany Archer (OTC CIS dept head) and ask what classes will be held at the main and Lebanon branch campus'.

I would research what dual credit classes each H.S. offers that transfers to an OTC, Missouri St. and S&T to fast track your son and daughter's academics.

Ditto for a H.S.'s participation in a Missouri's A+ program (two yrs tuition free).
Thank you for the info, we are going to visit the inlaws over spring break. Kids get family time, wife and I going to look at the area once more maybe some house hunting. I'll dig deeply into that A+ program.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,009 times
Ozark does have the IB program as well as dual enrollment at OTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area