Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 10,153 times

Advertisements

Post your ideas on transportation for Springfield and/or nearby communities here.
I personally would like to see more road widening on congested streets/highways and hopefully get a rail system back to town again. A light rail would be nice for Springfield and nearby communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 12:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,623,812 times
Ideas? Here's one. Leave the Ozarks alone. If we wanted California we'd move there. We don't!

Old 12-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ideas? Here's one. Leave the Ozarks alone. If we wanted California we'd move there. We don't!
So just let roads in need of upgrading carry on more and more traffic each year? Sounds like a good plan to me Have you ever drove down US 65 where the 6 lanes ends during rush hour? The road carries over 90,000 vehicles per day. Just doing nothing and letting traffic get worst wouldn't help the situation at all. Springfield is continuing to grow each year. To be truthful, Springfield will eventually grow up to be a large city in 50-100 years. Planning now is essential to a growing community.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.dang21 View Post
So just let roads in need of upgrading carry on more and more traffic each year? Sounds like a good plan to me Have you ever drove down US 65 where the 6 lanes ends during rush hour? The road carries over 90,000 vehicles per day. Just doing nothing and letting traffic get worst wouldn't help the situation at all. Springfield is continuing to grow each year. To be truthful, Springfield will eventually grow up to be a large city in 50-100 years. Planning now is essential to a growing community.
Yes. I've driven 65 a lot over the years. At issue is what I bolded. Just how much growth is really wanted? Build more infrastructure and they will come. Do you have a vested interest in it? You've invoked many California businesses. Is your vision for Springfield one of sprawl, more traffic resulting in gridlock, overcrowded schools, increased crime, bad air, a proliferation of strip malls, impatient people, little boxes made of ticky-tacky passing as housing and costs driven higher, more homelessness, nearby towns being encroached upon until it's all one big, ugly megopolous?. Is this your vision for Springfield?

It's certainly not mine nor that of many others I know; many of whom moved to the Ozarks to get away from precisely what you're advocating.

For me the saving grace is that I'm almost 70 and have just a finite number of years left. I'll likely have reached the end of my shelf life and assumed room temperature before you and others like you succeed in ruining this region.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes. I've driven 65 a lot over the years. At issue is what I bolded. Just how much growth is really wanted? Build more infrastructure and they will come. Do you have a vested interest in it? You've invoked many California businesses. Is your vision for Springfield one of sprawl, more traffic resulting in gridlock, overcrowded schools, increased crime, bad air, a proliferation of strip malls, impatient people, little boxes made of ticky-tacky passing as housing and costs driven higher, more homelessness, nearby towns being encroached upon until it's all one big, ugly megopolous?. Is this your vision for Springfield?

It's certainly not mine nor that of many others I know; many of whom moved to the Ozarks to get away from precisely what you're advocating.

For me the saving grace is that I'm almost 70 and have just a finite number of years left. I'll likely have reached the end of my shelf life and assumed room temperature before you and others like you succeed in ruining this region.
No, certainly shouldn't get too big to face those types of problems. I just think that Springfield should face some of its terrible traffic problems. Still the same clean air friendly people Ozarks, with a drop of citylife to it.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.dang21 View Post
No, certainly shouldn't get too big to face those types of problems. I just think that Springfield should face some of its terrible traffic problems. Still the same clean air friendly people Ozarks, with a drop of citylife to it.
Bite your tongue!

Old 12-14-2014, 11:52 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,444,269 times
what terrible traffic problems? LOL I was just there earlier this year along with Dallas and OKC. Now THERE's some traffic.

A rail system? I don't know when they were supposed to have had one in the past as you infer but I highly doubt people there will go for it.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:24 AM

914 posts, read 2,221,065 times
Traffic will expand to fill the space allotted.

I remember very well when US 65 was Glenstone Ave. (For that matter, I remember when St. Louis and College streets were Route 66; but let's not go there.) As its opening approached my father commented on how little traffic would be left on Glenstone once all the trucks and through traffic used the new expressway. It took a year, maybe two before the traffic count on Glenstone was as high as it ever was.

City after city has discovered that once all the arteries are clogged people will start moving back into the city core. To a certain extent this is happening in Springfield even now.

Springfield once had an extensive trolley system. I remember riding the city buses back in the 60's as they followed the rather inexplicably bizarre routes laid down by the ghosts of the tracks. There is a reason cities went away from streetcars and to buses: buses can change their routes, streetcars cannot. Even City Utilities finally figured that out.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 AM

65 posts, read 121,726 times
Speaking of roads, Springfield is one of the largest cities that I've been in to have so many heavily used, two lane roads without turn lanes or curbs (and with open ditches alongside said roads). An example: Seminole from Glenstone to Campbell (except where they've improved it at a few intersections). Another is E. Galloway from Lone Pine to Luster. Or Cherry east of Glenstone. These roads have been busy for 20+ years and the city has done little to improve them. The recent rebuilding of the intersection at the south Glenstone Walmart was long overdue. It seems Springfield reacts very slowly to growth issues.

It also seems odd that the only six-lane highway in the area is a state highway, not an interstate (although the city is supposedly trying to get 65 and James River designated an interstate).

Old 12-15-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinix1999 View Post
Speaking of roads, Springfield is one of the largest cities that I've been in to have so many heavily used, two lane roads without turn lanes or curbs (and with open ditches alongside said roads). An example: Seminole from Glenstone to Campbell (except where they've improved it at a few intersections). Another is E. Galloway from Lone Pine to Luster. Or Cherry east of Glenstone. These roads have been busy for 20+ years and the city has done little to improve them. The recent rebuilding of the intersection at the south Glenstone Walmart was long overdue. It seems Springfield reacts very slowly to growth issues.

It also seems odd that the only six-lane highway in the area is a state highway, not an interstate (although the city is supposedly trying to get 65 and James River designated an interstate).
Missouri has recently been having trouble finding a way to fund state transportation projects. More highways than Illinois + Kansas combined but not the funds they have. Ya, I heard about that proposed I-244 that was announced about a year ago. 2-3 years they said but that's only if they had the funds to do so.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area