Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,188 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Springfield area and will be looking for a church to attend. We are coming from Morristown, TN which is predominantly Baptist. However, my background is Catholic, but I am no longer practicing. We are looking for something mid size, possibly non-denomination or Baptist. We are in our early 30's with young children (1 and 3) and would like a church where we could meet other families like ourselves. Any information would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 06:44 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
I would encourage you to visit Southgate Baptist. Would seem to offer everything that you are looking for and then some. You'd fit right in with our Young(ish) married couples Sunday School class and your kids would enjoy the new youth building that was completed a couple of years ago. If you come by for a visit, I'll let you guess which one I am when you're in class.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Here is a list of non-denomination churchs. There is allso a Unitarian in Springfield and Branson. Springfield News leader Directory . A Google search lists: Springfield, MO non-denominational churches - Google Search

Neither list includes Assemblies of God - with global headquarters in Springfied, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Methodist, Church of Christ, Christian, Catholic, Jewish Temple, Baha'I or Scientolgy.

Anyone moving to Sprinfield has a wide selection of places to worship.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 PM

167 posts, read 451,499 times
if you are on the southern side or near Nixa, try the bridge The Bridge Church - Nixa, Mo (?) its Baptist, but acts non-denom. God Bless you wherever you land, its shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable church around here.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:31 PM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
Just don't mention your Catholic background; around these parts, it's likely to get you hammered with anti-Catholics tracts and efforts to "save" you.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 PM

130 posts, read 367,742 times
Haha, I learned that lesson when I moved to Springfield and mentioned I used to be Mormon (no longer practicing)...I was dogged by a bunch of anti-mormon pamphlets it wasn't even funny! And I was teaching a student course on Mormonism at Central Bible! I haven't stepped into a Mormon church in years!

But like everyone said there are many churches to choose from in the Springfield area.

Southgate Baptist
University Heights Baptist
Second Baptist Church
First Baptist Church
Jefferson Avenue Baptist Church
Grant Avenue Free Will Baptist Church
South Haven Baptist Church
South Side Baptist Church
Broadway Baptist Church (http://www.broadway.hypermart.net - broken link)
Grant Ave. Baptist Church (not the same as the FW Baptist)
United Baptist Church
Glenstone Baptist Church
Park Crest Baptist Church
Immanuel Baptist Church
Cherry Street Baptist Church
Boulevard Baptist Church
Berean Baptist Church

Cornerstone Church
Parkview Christian Church
Heartland Covenant Church
Springfield Bible Church
Springfield Community Church
Hope Community Church

Some A/G (Assemblies of God) churches you may want to check out...

North Point Church
Central Assembly
Northside Assembly (kind of small, but a good church)
James River Assembly
Praise Assembly
Evangel Temple (mostly college students...)

There you go! I have much experiences with many churches in the SGF area. If you need anything, just PM me.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:38 PM

15 posts, read 29,588 times
This is excellent info, gang! As you may see from my other post, I have applied for a job in the SPD (is that how you abbreviate it? or is it SGF? Set me straight so I can get it right ) area and the wife and I have been looking for a new church home we can plug into once we arrive (if God wants us to be in Springfield). I came originally from Tulsa but wound up in Knoxville. Now I work for an awesome company who really believe in taking care of their employees and there is an opportunity to advance in the field I have chosen...

Thanks so much and it's nice to see such a friendly group of folks.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 6,871 times
Yes, there are many churches in Spfd., but my experience coming from the west coast, where people are generally friendly and accepting of newcomers, is that the churches are very cold and unfriendly to anyone new to the area. If they don't know you, they don't want to know you. Very strange. We visited many differerent size and different denominations and found it to be consistently the case. We now attend a large church with good preaching, awesome music but in four years we have made no friends there and come and go with no interactions. Having been extremely involved in our churches in other cities where most of our friendships and social interaction centered, this is hard to adjust to. Don't mean to be negative, just truthful.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:34 PM

26 posts, read 75,307 times
I don't know if you would be interested in a Methodist Church, but we've been going to Wesley UMC, and it's awesome. We moved here about 2 months ago and have been searching also. Wesley is a little intimidating at first, because it's on the larger side, and easy to get lost. However, everyone we've encountered there has gone out of their way to be helpful. They are very friendly and welcoming. There are small groups, so you can get to know people with similiar backgrounds and interests. There are so many programs for youth and families to get involved in. My daughter is on the sutism spectrum. She recently went to a youth swimming party and I was on pins and needles, wondering how she'd get along. The kids welcomed her like an old friend. The youth leaders are warm and caring. This church is alive and growing. It's the highlight of my week, when I think about visiting anywhere else, I start missing Wesley. We visited several churches, but we will soon be making Wesley our home.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:24 AM

26 posts, read 75,307 times
Oops! Forgot to provide contact info for Wesley. Here's their website: wesleymethodist.net
I am praying that your search will lead you to where God would have you to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area