Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:19 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,589 times

Advertisements

Thanks Blondie, about the concrete thing, and OH YES i have seen that Veags SMOG, LA is a walk in the park compared to that nightmare! YUK< and Riverside county (where we live) is worse than LA, my husband has said!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 PM

281 posts, read 1,185,671 times
Blondie and I may disagree on some things but she is dead on with her assessment of the reality on the wages. And while Craven is in a uniquely favorable position you might be advised to continue doing the research your doing. I might add that there are quite a few apparently 3-4,500 sq. ft. custom homes in Cedar City sitting on a hill south of the center of town. It has always puzzled me where there could be that many sources of income in the area to support them. We did take a drive though it a month ago and for what it's worth there were quite a few "for sale" signs.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,589 times
How far is Cedar City from St. George......The reality is we want to live where the BEST schools are...that is more important than the price of houses.

Concrete work is pretty needed, in no way is it in demand, like here when people took out huge equity lines and spent them on landscaping and what not, but if you have a new house (here) you get no patio, when it rains, you have a mud hole....I assume it is tha same there (correct me if i am wrong)

I am still not familiar completely with the layout, which areas are which way from St. George, i guess you learn that by being there. We are definatley doing research, because, this is HUGE for me, more than my husband. I have not lived anywhere but here, so it is scary for me...instead of looking at the negative "what ifs" i have to look at the positive ones, and move forward.....

Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,733,207 times
Cedar City is approximately 50 miles north of St. George – and about 4,000 feet higher in elevation. Totally different climate.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:20 AM

242 posts, read 1,117,300 times
Cedar and St. George are rivals. Like the old high school rivaleries. Not too long ago Cedar was the larger of the two towns. That changed when the influx of real estate flippers invaded St. Geroge area. Cedar has gotten just as bad as St. George now with the prices of things. There is more diversity of jobs. It is not all geared towards real estate or construction. The So Utah University is actually pretty good. You have the Shakespearan Festival that attracts lots of people from all over the world. I have lots of friends who have raised their kids there and the schools are just fine. There is a lot of opportunities for adjunt education with the University there. The winters can be cold. They get quite a few storms. 30 years ago the snow stayed on the ground the full winter. Now it melts in between storms.

Enoch which is about 4 miles from Cedar to the north, has a new industrial park going in. It has slated 5 new big manufacturing companies already poised to build. These are not construction related manufacturers so there again is diversity in jobs. At the North interchange there is a new resort complex being built by a major hotel chain. The Shakespearan festival is going to be breaking ground soon on their new complex. It will have a recreation of a small old English village with three anchor large theaters, and resturants. There is a lot happening, and a lot for the people of Cedar. It just depends on where you want to be. Like cooclats said it is only about 50 miles difference (it use to be 60 miles but the signs changed since I lived there)

Old 08-18-2007, 12:36 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Cedar City is approximately 50 miles north of St. George – and about 4,000 feet higher in elevation. Totally different climate.
It's only 2,000 feet higher. But yes, the climate is totally different. Cedar City is much more comparable to Salt Lake City in climate, while St. George is more comparable to Las Vegas.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:38 PM

Always wondered myself as a resident 30 miles from Cedar City. So I looked it up. The St. George metro area is described as being just under 3000 feet overall and Cedar is at 5840 feet.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:45 PM

And I would certainly agree with Bob about the weather. St. George is in a very unique small spot in Utah geographically. And it's weather is much more similar to Las Vegas than argueably anywhere else in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George