Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 10:18 AM

14 posts, read 38,460 times

Advertisements

Been looking at moving to the area for a while like the low crime rate and general cleanliness of the town compared to CA where I'm from and also like the right leaning population of the state in its laws. Well I've gotten a job offer for $55k a year and trying to see how everything pencils before I jump now that I know what I'll actually be paid. Wanted to know a general cost of a few things granted I know family size depends on some but this will be me my wife and soon a baby. Just trying to get an idea.

What's your cost on?
1. Monthly groceries
2. Electric rates and what power company your on
3. Water bill
4. Car registration
5. Health insurance cost (through work or private company)

Thanks in advance really excited and hope it all works out. California is getting crazy both politically and monetarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 01:38 PM

390 posts, read 757,418 times
Well, lst off, there are far too many variables in your questions.
Age matters (insurance)
Electric rates depend on where you live here...St. George city utilities are much different than Washington fields.
BTW, that's a small suburb of St. George. Washington fields has Dixie power, which in my area we have a 3 bedroom house and cook on electric. Keep air conditioning at 76 during summer months. Last bill was 110.

Car registration is age based.
Water bill in my area again different than other areas, it includes trash and sewer. Runs somewhere around 80 a month.

Groceries...also depends - what do you usually eat? Thats like asking how much is dinner? I found milk and eggs to be much lower here than So. Calif. I can usually buy dozen eggs for less than $2. and a gallon of milk runs about $2.

Our gasoline is also lower than anywhere in Calif. (you can check it out on GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada.)

Also consider social....are you LDS? That is the main religion here and much of the social activities are around the church in this area. If you like to go to bars, this is NOT the place. It was never an issue to us. However, we are not LDS (Mormon), so finding people to invite over for a glass of wine was difficult. (most Mormons do not drink at all.)

As to housing, check with realtor. Hope it works out for you, we think this place is beautiful. Oh, one more thing, this area is VERY VERY Republican!

Old 09-07-2015, 03:41 PM

Thanks! Yeah Dixie power seems to be the way to go. Here in CA were paying ¢16 - ¢32 tiered rate and it's killing me in summer. I rarely drink alcohol but I'm not LDS. Also an NRA member and big 2nd amendment guy so hope to find some fellow gun owners to shoot with. Your right on the variables about rates on insurance and food but thanks for the price on milk and eggs good indicator at least on cost. Just really nervous about leaving all I know out here and changing jobs and homes all at once.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:15 AM

175 posts, read 596,140 times

I posted this a while back and it may still be helpful:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/st-ge...ozen-eggs.html

Old 09-10-2015, 05:09 PM

243 posts, read 630,102 times
You'll do fine with $55K as long as you can follow a budget. Housing has gone up recently here, but coming from California you'll find that it's better than what you have been used to paying. Pretty much everything will be cheaper with the possible exception of utilities, depending on what part of California you are coming from. We came from east of the bay area a few months ago and have found that everything is more affordable. $55K here is like $75-80K there.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:46 PM

20 posts, read 51,910 times
We're moving to Santa Clara soon. Good luck with your move.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:04 AM

Thanks for all the replies can't wait to get into town. Couldn't think of a nicer place to live. It'll be nice to get out of CA with all the high prices and crazy laws and meet some like minded people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George