Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:18 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times

Advertisements

I remember the flood of '93 and the steps leading down to the riverfront being closed off after like the 6th one, thinking about what would happen if it made it to the top. (I remember hearing the floodwall made it with less than 24 inches to spare)

Going up in the arch and seeing looking out one side and seeing the highway and life and looking out the other and seeing only water, deep brown water as far as the eye could see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,061,423 times
Ridin' up the Arch, seeing the beauty & potential surrounding the area;
Being at The Monday Night Miracle - my fate sealed thereafter ;
Sitting in lawn chairs in the Mississippi River, chillin & drinkin, watchin the crowds during the VP Fairs;

Riding bike around Forest Park with some buddies, enjoying such a special gem in the city confines;
Parking at Steak 'n Shake, getting best burgers, walking down the hill to Blues game at the Checkerdome, and then grabbing cold shake afterwards to sooth raw vocal cords, after watching Bernie and company;

Rubbin the nose of Stan the Man, watching the Cards steal bases, and many more fans hearts;
Watching the Admiral's cool stainless steel glisten as she played the waters;
Being interviewed by local TV station as standing next to beloved Checkerdome, tear washing the dust off my cheek;

Bopping about the Zoo, Magic House, and Science Center, observing and learning;
Riding the Metro, here and there, soaking in the conversations of those plying the rails;
Enjoying the sights and sounds and tastes along Delmar, seeing concerts at The Pageant [esp. El Monstero Y Los Masked Avengers ];

Shouting for the Missouri River Otters [ok, yea, they were actually in St Chuck, but that is the St Louis metro area, thank you very much! ];
Eatin' some great food - from pizza to steaks to Italian to burgers to BBQ to Ted's house;
Walking along Laclede's Landing, imagining the footsteps and sounds and sights of those that had walked over the years prior those cobblestones;

Taking guitar lessons - only to forget 'em...
Tossin' beads, and tossin' back some green beers durin St Pat's Day festivities;
Taking woman to charity benefit softball game hosted by her favourite Blues player, Brendan Shanahan;

Tooling down I-44, seeing that water tower, the Eagle dancing off Hiway 40, the water stations south of the I-270 bridge crossing the Mississippi River;
Hoopin and hollering during Ram's celebration Super Bowl parade;
Smiling upon seeing the Welcome to Missouri signs as head west;

Looking at awe of the beauty of the Old Cathedral, the Old Courthouse, Union Station, and other various wonderful architectures;
Watching the Steamers kick balls, score goals, and win in the MISL;
Observing the natural gas tanks rise and fall over time periods along I-44 near Shrewsbury;

Tailgate parties before a Ram's game;
Taking a birthday New Years Eve cruise on the Mississippi River;
Going to Grandma's, listening to uncles & aunts swap stories, me and the cousins playing Monopoly, cards, tag, and watch the telly, our bellies full of wonderful vittles;

'tis a good town.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:25 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,021 times
ShadowCaver, you have stolen my heart and rememories. . Will post mine later after the Real Estate Open House. Love your's

Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Being at The Monday Night Miracle - my fate sealed thereafter ;
Okay, I'm assuming the Monday Night Miracle has something to do with the Cards? What am I missing, I've never heard of it before. Loved your memories, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Will post mine later after the Real Estate Open House.
I hope your open house went better than mine...I had nobody come through, very boring afternoon.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:44 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,472,065 times
I lived in Eureka until age 15, which was 1984. Trips into downtown were special, since it was 30 miles away! I remember:
1. My first "show" which was Cinderella at the Muny.
2. Roller skating at the Ellisville Skating Rink
3. Free tickets for Steamers games for making Honor Roll in Jr. High. I have been a soccer fan ever since
4. The Zoo, and being forced to decide between the animal houses, or walking around the outside exhibits because it was sooo big!
5. Visiting the Freedom Train at Union Station(I think) in 1976
6. Queeny Park
7. School field trips to Wonder Bread, the marionette shop, and Busch farms
8. Forest Park and all the wonderful museums
9. The Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus-so much going on all at once, I was scared to death of the motorcycles inside the giant mesh ball!
10. Saving up my allowance to go horseback riding at a stable somewhere-they also had police horses there. I've also been infatuated with horses ever since.
One of the main reasons we moved was the beginning of the school desegregation project. My folks were afraid we would get bussed into the inner city. From what I understand, this was an expensive and unsuccessful experiment. I've always felt that money would have been better spent directly on the inner city school system itself with teacher wages, improved buildings and security and parent involvement. I'm glad we moved when we did, but I do love to go back occasionally for the "Big City" experiences!

Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
Okay,

I hope your open house went better than mine...I had nobody come through, very boring afternoon.
Veeeerrrryyyyyy boring.. Rain and drizzle the whole time. Wife's mother (of the seller) stopped by and we visited for about 20 mins. Some balloons popped and signs were wet when I took them down. Other agents had same type of day.

Last edited by Northwoods Voyager; 04-27-2008 at 09:01 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,061,423 times
Cool yea, my blood is Blue, forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
Okay, I'm assuming the Monday Night Miracle has something to do with the Cards? What am I missing, I've never heard of it before. Loved your memories, thanks for sharing.

Never heard? Never heard of The Monday Night Miracle?!?!

Try this my friend:
YouTube - Monday Night Miracle

btw, take a gander at the ~3:43 minute mark, there I am!!!

ps: the winning goal, scored by Mr. Wickenheiser, man who passed away much too soon [37 yo, cancer] - in his honor is the St Louis Blues 14 Fund (http://blues.nhl.com/community/fourteen_fund.htm - broken link)

Old 04-27-2008, 08:53 PM

Many educational opportunities: Miss Hickey's School, Patricia Steven, Mound City Business College to name a few.
Large Standard Oil sign at Clayton and Skinker
Chase and Park Plaza Hotels side by side, still there but as a child considered them like castles.
Most of the main hospitals being across from Forest Park on Kingshighway. I worked at St. John's Hospital after school.
Sportsman's Park at Grand & Dodier, home of St. Louis Cardinals
The many shoe factories, making St. Louis famous.
Downtown St. Louis home to clothing factories, also.
The distinct 'clang' of the old streetcars taking you to all corners of the city.
The 'ragman' pushing his cart down the streets asking for your castoffs.
Another cart being pushed by the knife sharpener waling in the neighborhoods putting a 'cutting edge' on your knives and scissors.
The many shoe repair shops, putting taps and new heels or soles on your shoes while you waited. 'Cats Paws'.
Bins of produce outside in front of neighborhood grocery stores.
Going to the Arena for circuses and ice skating competitions. Later the Checkerdome and home of the Blues!
Hodges Roller Skating rink.
Collecting Eagle Stamps from the many different stores, downtown especially, to cash in later when the books were full (all 30 pages) for such treasures.
Casaloma Ballroom
Coral Courts on Watson Road.
St. Louis being known as 'Mound City'
Some of these may be repeats, I apologize. My remembories.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:59 PM

Hahahahahaha, ShadowCaver, yep, there you were, picked y'all out easily...;0 good link, thanks.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
take a gander at the ~3:43 minute mark, there I am!!!
Okay, no, I don't remember that.

But, at 3:43 there was a photo of an entire section, I can't make anyone out. Is that you in the yellow shirt at 3:45? Or, were you pulling our leg?

Great clip. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis