Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 09:53 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times

Advertisements

For acreage, and some unique architecture, I wouldn't actually discount the Old Jamestown area of unincorporated North County, up on the bluffs of the Mississippi. You would probably be able to get something unique under budget, as well.

However, the caveat is that Hazelwood School District, while not the worst, is somewhere I wouldn't personally send my children.

I know a few families who live up there (professionals who work for Boeing, Emerson Electric, etc) who purchased up there for the great value, scenery and proximity to work. All send their children to Private Schools, but are able to do so due to the more affordable housing. It is a diverse area so your race/culture is unlikely to be an issue

P.S. There is a tudor style house on Quindaro Dr in that area. It has been on the market for ages and is obviously a fixer, but they may be willing to take less than the $370k price tag. It is 3500sqft and on 12 wooded acres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 12:42 PM

197 posts, read 265,134 times
Try Olivette for Ladue Schools. Lindbergh School District is also up and coming. Thanks, MOSEP, Pasadena Hills is great! but not a great school district..

But if you want to consider private schools, try this! thanks, MOSEP, for the shoutout!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/7270-S-...,-MO-63121_rb/

Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 AM

451 posts, read 365,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excited about STL View Post
But for some reason the houses are not as special looking in the north, by that I mean north of the Missouri River (and there are too many new builds there, which I think may dilute the market). Arnold and Imperial have some impressive looking houses. But another STL thread mentioned there is a reason the south side has few minorities, which got me worried.

2-3 acres are not required -- I probably cannot manage them anyways. Only enough acres so that I am not too close to my neighbors.
Jamestown Rd isn't north of the Missouri river.

The south burbs not having many minorities is not due to racism its due to the general diaspora of St. Louisans during suburbanziation.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:10 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,512 times
We are a mixed Asian/white family. I would absolutely NEVER move my family to Arnold or Imperial. Stick with central/west county/St. Charles county or the northern parts of S. County (Sunset Hills/Crestwood...Lindbergh School district).

IDK if people in far S. County are truly racist towards asians, but there will absolutely be a general cultural ignorance that doesn't exist in the more educated/well traveled suburbs and many city neighborhoods and lack of exposure DOES lend to biases and even soft racism.

In my experience in Central/West county...People may ask where your family is "from" because they are generally interested in you, not because they are being racist. At least that's what I have found, but my husband WAS actually born in Asia and lived there for 12 years. People are INTERESTED in his experience, not judging him.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:06 AM

29 posts, read 36,931 times
We moved here 5 years ago with our two asian kids. Good schools, with ethnic diversity, was a priority for us.
Look on greatschools.org to find out the ethnic breakdown of schools were you are interested in.
I ruled out most of the outer suburbs because my kids would be nearly the only non-white faces in the school.
You had a couple of suggestions for Olivette, which I also think would be a good fit for you. Personally, we ended up in Chesterfield, Parkway Central middle/high - which is one of the more diverse schools in the area.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:29 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Jamestown Rd isn't north of the Missouri river.
My bad! I meant North toward the Missouri River. I live in Florissant myself, so I do know it isn't North, I must have just mistyped and omitted the toward! Thank you for picking up on it for me!

Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
In my experience in Central/West county...People may ask where your family is "from" because they are generally interested in you, not because they are being racist. At least that's what I have found, but my husband WAS actually born in Asia and lived there for 12 years. People are INTERESTED in his experience, not judging him.
Well, it is a little racist, or at least discourteous. On the other hand, making small talk is hard!

Old 09-13-2018, 04:24 PM

435 posts, read 176,265 times
I didn't suggest Jamestown/North Florissant because of the school districts. Not saying they are inadequate, but they certainly aren't the best. Also, if you look up that way, make sure you don't buy anywhere near coldwater creek.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:00 PM

24 posts, read 25,743 times
Quote:
Crap. Now I have to unsave all those houses in Arnold.

I would assume that Imperial is not much different from Arnold?
Coming from another Asian (I moved to StL from Santa Barbara last summer, but this is a return home after living on the west coast for 15 years), Arnold/ Imperial/ all of Jefferson County won't have the cultural awareness that I think you're looking for. It has the socioeconomic feel of Ventura or Santa Ana, but quite a few rednecks.

I think you should you look in Chesterfield and Wildwood. Chesterfield probably would feel like eh... Sherman Oaks or hmm... a cheap version of Irvine or Lake Forest. I'm not sure if St. Peters/ St. Charles, school wise, but the west is pretty nice overall... From Chestefield, the drive should be less than 50 mins. "Traffic" is nothing like California traffic. When in gridlock, it moves from standstill to 30mph to 45mph. It's not bad at all.

We bought a home in Sappington last year (I-44/ Tesson Ferry) in your price range. I bet you could commute from our area to Ferguson. Our area's school district, at least for high schools, is top 10-ish. ...and if you don't mind a home that needs a little TLC, you can find homes on large lots down here in Sunset Hills. (Sunset Hills is filled with wealth)

Here's an example:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...25_rect/14_zm/

Last edited by roycel; 09-13-2018 at 09:13 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 09:10 PM

24 posts, read 25,743 times
Quote:
Thanks. This is good info.

Between Wildwood and Arnold (comparing due to similar scenery, and distance to Ferguson), what's your take?
Olivette is a great suggestion. ...might be a little over your $500k limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis