Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 05:12 PM

126 posts, read 117,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Some years ago, there was a proposal in Detroit to move everybody from the blighted areas closer to the city center, and demolish/let nature take over the abandoned neighborhoods. In theory, with everyone living in a more concentrated area, it would be easier to provide adequate police/fire protection, roadwork, sewers, services streetlights, etc.

However, I know the proposal was met with a lot of opposition so I doubt it actually happened (correct me if I'm wrong).

Part of me does feel like that would be one solution for St. Louis's Northside- although it means it would be "saving" a few neighborhoods and entirely losing others. There's still a lot of unique architecture and history throughout North City that is worth preserving, so I doubt it would really be a viable solution.

It is a real shame that the Northside Regeneration project turned out to be a scam. Shame on Paul McKee

Youngstown, OH
The City That Tried to Stop Growing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 07:02 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,871,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huja View Post
Thanks for sharing! It would be really interesting to see if similar results and initiatives could be achieved in St. Louis.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Thanks for sharing! It would be really interesting to see if similar results and initiatives could be achieved in St. Louis.
Takes a whole lotta' political will and cooperation to say you're gonna' amputate a couple of limbs in order to save the rest of the body.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:55 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,026,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setite View Post
How dangerous is it? I moved here for school and my dad has been eyeing those cheap old city houses for renovating as rental properties. I am super uncomfortable in that area of town but he doesn't fear shady areas as much as I think he should. I've been trying to find a good crime index to show him.
I don't know what the crime index says, but...

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/cr...s/63-597556007

Old 09-25-2018, 03:01 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,607,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I don't know what the crime index says, but...

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/cr...s/63-597556007
As the article says, 50% of the city's homicides are drug-related. I'm guessing this wouldn't be a significant risk-factor for the OP's father. You could probably also eliminate the portion of the crime index attributed to other criminal activity, domestic violence, etc.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:55 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,059,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huja View Post
There was a great post about Youngtsown in a thread from the Urban Planning forum

https://www.city-data.com/forum/urban...rust-belt.html

Post #15 has some Google Street Map links of the nicer parts of town. Pretty impressive looking streetscapes for a city of its size.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
There was a great post about Youngtsown in a thread from the Urban Planning forum

https://www.city-data.com/forum/urban...rust-belt.html

Post #15 has some Google Street Map links of the nicer parts of town. Pretty impressive looking streetscapes for a city of its size.

Those Google Street Map links are the very embodiment of a John Mellencamp song.
I remember going to a party in a grand old house off of Lindell in the early 1990's.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:40 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,026,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
As the article says, 50% of the city's homicides are drug-related. I'm guessing this wouldn't be a significant risk-factor for the OP's father. You could probably also eliminate the portion of the crime index attributed to other criminal activity, domestic violence, etc.
Nothing to worry about...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ities-58064145

Old 09-26-2018, 09:14 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,607,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Nothing to worry about...
Well, what does that mean? There's certainly some risk of being a victim of a crime, but people take risks all the time. Driving your car is a risk. Eating starchy foods and watching TV are risks. Playing sports is a risk.

You are certainly within your rights to worry about crime more than you worry about your diet, but that isn't the same as demonstrating a material impact on your physical health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: