Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 749 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to STL about 2 years ago and are still trying to get our bearings in this awesome, underrated city. We bought a house in Maryland Heights because it was cheap and seemed like a decent area, but now that we’ve had more time to explore, we would really like to be closer to the city. Our budget is max 150k.

I’m 34 & hubs is 41, and we have a 3 year old & a 4 month old. We are from Austin, TX, and consider ourselves liberal, open-minded, and non-religious. I would love to find a neighborhood either near Maplewood/Richmond Heights (although I know we are priced out of that immediate area) or somewhere in South City. Obviously we want somewhere safe with a decent school district (Catholic school is out), but we don’t need much materially and would be totally happy with a small house in a vibrant, friendly neighborhood with other young(ish) families...

Any recommendations on specific areas that sound like they might be a good fit? I love browsing the forum and reading opinions from knowledgeable STL natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 09:29 AM

203 posts, read 271,484 times
In that price, your best bet is South City. I'm thinking the Lindenwood Park area. The public schools will probably be lackluster. You can enter a lottery for St Louis Public School Magnet or Choice schools. Parents seem to like those schools, but again, it's a lottery.

If you stretch the budget a little bit, look in Shrewsbury and the part of Webster Groves adjacent to Shrewsbury.

You could also look in Affton which is a portion of the county adjacent to south city. I always had the impression Affton is pretty conservative, though.

Good luck.

Last edited by Hector2; 10-08-2018 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-08-2018, 10:09 AM

197 posts, read 265,078 times
Look near the Kennard School in south city. I'm not sure how you apply to those city magnet schools.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:21 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
You are probably in the best location for the price range plus better schools but not for what else you seem to want. I agree with south city but you need to see how to work the public school system as very few neighborhood schools are anything but bad. There are some great magnet and charter schools though. We do actually have some friends through sports that are in Affton and Bayless and love it no matter the actual rankings. More conservative areas though. IDK the chances of finding a smaller home in Maplewood/Richmond Heights or maybe Rock Hill (Webster schools). If you can find something in those areas to fix up you will likely make a profit later.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:06 AM

107 posts, read 209,905 times
You are not entirely priced out. Look south of the zoo. I’m actually in a Cheltenham/Dogtown area and purchased a house that is decent sized several years ago in your price range. I actually may be selling my house in the near future by the way. Not just trying to sell you my house but there are homes to be had in this area in that range. Personally, I don’t know anything about the schools but Cheltenham / Dogtown or The Hill or Clifton Heights could be very good for you with proximity to the zoo and science center and a short drive from just about everything. Private message me if you want to know about my house haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis