Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 07:19 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstatic42 View Post
Hi there,

Oh hi, another person coming here from NOVA. Welcome! There are lots of folks from east here. I'm curious what all you decided on? Pretty much nothing here will have a commute. 10 miles is 10 minutes here. In Gainesville commuting down 66 or even 28 to get just about anywhere during the morning, afternoon, and sometimes in the middle of the night would be an hour, maybe two.

I'm a born and raised DC native (Fairfax) moved here 5 years ago with my SO. Started in the city for most of this time - because I have never lived inside an actual city so why not, love the culture, entertainment, etc, but could not live with the noise there. Settled in Creve Coeur, it's the closest area to what I'm accustomed to in terms of noise at night (no more night club noise, street racing noises, etc.). You'll notice right away that there's an abundance of familiar here, in terms of shopping, st Louis has a penchant for building 20 or more Walgreens, cvs, and for some reason there's more Panda Expresses here than I've ever seen in my life. There will of course be integrating into whatever social circles you can here..which without having a local high school for them to box you in to.. good luck! but the people here are friendly nonetheless.

Given your budget, you can buy an absolutely amazing house, with yard (which I guess might get you a two bedroom Condo in Manassas), and all that nature has to offer here, in just about any part of the region except for Ladue and Clayton. There is even a couple of LifeTime Fitnesses here, one in Frontenac and the other in Chesterfield.

In terms of Public Schools for Middle & Highschool children, I highly recommend Kirkwood, Webster Groves, Creve Coeur, Olivette. If you want decent public schools, like we are accustomed to having in Virginia. If you are going the private school route, you can pretty much take your pick of living anywhere, including in the city, if considering the city Lafayette Square is neat, Soulard is neat, some houses in those areas might have somewhat of a yard.

Stl county is good except for North County and the east central parts of Stl county like around Wellston, Pine Lawn, University City that have crime problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis