Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 3,120 times

Advertisements

Delmar Loop for sure. My WashU grad loved to hang out there. She lived in one of the WashU housing right on the Loop.

Central West End is nice too. Lots of good non-chain restaurants there and not a far walk to Forest Park.

Favorite place to run is definitely at Creve Coeur Lake. Nice loop around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 10:42 AM

16,123 posts, read 10,797,985 times
St. Louis has such an array of neighborhoods that you need to find one that fits your personality...and you can do it. I was born (long ago) in what is called Dogtown...apparently on the edge of the Ellendale neighborhood today. At age five it was just home. Perfect for a kid. Safe, quiet and unassuming. This was before "Leave it to Beaver". I moved far away but remember the place very well. Our family house is still there, kind of a sore thumb and obvious but recently rehabbed and good for another 120 years. Current owners keep it up nicely. There were weddings and garden parties in the back yard. We had chickens and fruit trees I remember. There was a long standing feud with a neighbor for some forgotten reason but that didn't stop me from making friends with the old lady who let me help her make cakes. I got to lick the bowl. The next neighbor was nice, a descendant of Daniel Boone -- really cool. She was ancient...probably 45. There was a little beer garden about a block or two away. You could walk to the grocer, barber, and school. We had school picnic parades to the Highlands...a long walk, it seemed. This was my grandma's house. She was Kerry Patch Irish. My grandpa, I never knew, was a shoe worker from upstate New York, Dutch and English. They married on Labor Day in 1908, he was a strong union man. The house was already there but the street wasn't yet paved.

Today my closest relatives live in the Benton Park East neighborhood and it suits them. The park is a gem and they walk to Cherokee Street shops. I have inlaws scattered in other areas and they are like permanent fixtures...probably there for the duration.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:01 AM

525 posts, read 722,319 times
I am looking to move back home to MO in near future myself but to St. Louis this time. I am waiting to hear if I got the job in Olivette. Keeping my fingers crossed!

After research, I have narrowed down to a few neighborhoods in St. Louis that captured my attention in no specific order:

Central West End
The Grove
Shaw
The Hill

I am not sure about popular Lafayette Square, Benton Park, and Tower Grove Park because they seem to be close to high crime areas for comfort.

Please correct me if I am wrong. High crime areas are north of Delmar Blvd. up to North County and east of Central West End down to South City/Bucktown before South County starts, does that sound right?

Outside St. Louis, I also like the following areas: Brentwood; Clayton; Creve Coeur; Kirkwood; Maplewood; Olivette; Richmond Heights; Rock Hill; Shrewsbury; and Webster Groves.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:02 PM

589 posts, read 1,109,963 times
CITY neighborhood, most of my favorite are in the 63104 neighborhood. Soulard would be my first. Tight knit, vibrant community that feel very small town in the heart of they city. Love Lafayette Square and the beautiful park.

I personally love the character of the stately homes of red brick. I love the painted ladies around Lafayette Square and along Russell Blvd in fox Fark. They just don't make them like that anymore

Old 11-11-2021, 09:30 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,575,425 times
I’m always impressed by great architecture and character. My favorite neighborhoods are the ones with those grand old mansions: Debaliviere, Compton Hts., and Central West End are good examples. The architecture of homes along the north side of Lindell Blvd. along Forest Park is simply amazing. Although generally smaller in size, the beautiful 19th century homes in the Lafayette Square, Soulard, and Carondelet neighborhoods are also stunning.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:19 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,610,469 times
I like to park in Dogtown (Clayton-Tamm) for lunch, and walk through the turtle park to the Zoo. CWE, Lafayette Square, Delmar Loop are also great. Downtown West has some great pre-war architecture.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:09 AM

13,685 posts, read 7,996,829 times
I thought Benton Park was really neat, and Blues City Deli had some amazing sandwiches!

Old 11-19-2021, 08:32 AM

15 posts, read 11,349 times
Visited your city for a few days a little while ago as I am considering to move there. Tried to see as much of it as possible, saw the loop, Delmar, Central west end, the hill, the wash u campus and I have to say, what a beautiful place you folks have over there. It is striking how quickly it turns from beautiful to bleak but I know it occurs in most cities. Anyway, might be off topic but those were the places that stood out to me.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:01 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,695,048 times
Stayed at an AirBNB in Benton Park in 2019 while we vacationed in St. Louis. Loved it. We were very close to Soulard, Lafayette Square, and Tower Grove. Downtown and the Central West End weren't that far either.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:02 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,695,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I thought Benton Park was really neat, and Blues City Deli had some amazing sandwiches!
Yep! We got sandwiches to-go from there and drove over to Forest Park to eat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis