Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:41 AM

50 posts, read 82,403 times

Advertisements

Dierberg's has a food delivery service, and Shnicks and Shop and Save offer delivery service through InstaCart. There's an annual subscription fee for Instacart, but I've used it a few times and been very happy with it.

If you are looking for affordable, best value for your money- I'd go with Lakeshire that is in the Lindburgh school district. You are close to Tesson Ferry, and Lindburgh is a great school district. It also puts you walking distance from Grant's Trail.

Although I'd consider Kirkwood to be mid-county, it does have some underpriced apartments if you search hard enough.

Maplewood / Brentwood also have access to the Metrolink for public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manders378 View Post
I really cant believe how much you people dislike South County! Is it the fact that there is no Crime there that makes it so boring and dull? Come on, I am a Parent and I see nothing wrong with South County, I like the fact there isnt much crime...makes me feel safer raising my children here! Why would you WANT to live somewhere with a lot of CRIME and MURDERS...isnt that kind of Crazy...is that what you call exciting!
Manders378 you asked for the good, the bad and the ugly, then when people give their opinion you get offended. Why did you ask for others opinions if you couldnt handle what they might say.

I get you live in South county and you love it, that's fine for you, but the person who mentioned there isn't much diversity in South County is right, there isn't and just because of what you said before, Blacks, Hispanics, Indians are all lumped into the same spot as far as the extreme white population in South County is concerned. All people of color are considered, MURDERERS, CRIMINALS, LAZY etc., and are not allowed housing, job opportunities, etc., in South County and it has been that way for years, and continues to be so even to this day. There is crime in South County it is just not readily and immediately aired on the news as it is in North County or the City for that matter.

Low Crime because its not reported as much or is it low crime because South County does a good job of keeping people of color out that they think cause these problems. It is what it is.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 2,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxdeup59 View Post
There is crime in South County it is just not readily and immediately aired on the news as it is in North County or the City for that matter.

Low Crime because its not reported as much or is it low crime because South County does a good job of keeping people of color out that they think cause these problems. It is what it is.
I think you're right on a couple of things and wrong on others.

I moved to South County a couple of years ago. I'm white, middle class, college educated; in other words I got all the societal privileges afforded to someone in this country. Even then, South County is EXTREMELY insulated and closed off even to newcomers of similar circumstances as long-time residents and families. It's hard to get to know anyone here, and believe me I tried.

That's not even saying anything about other races. The Bosnian community is thriving here, but it's a community in the community, just as closed off to non-Bosnians in SC as white SC residents are to them. It works, but it doesn't fit the 'melting pot' model America likes to champion. Blacks, Latinxs and others are non-existent and I do believe that they're discouraged if not actively prevented from moving here. So I think you're right there.

That being said I think you're wrong about crime. You and I know that STL is neck and neck with Detroit in terms of violent crime (highest rate in the country) and very high in other forms. It's ridiculous to say that you have even the remotely the same kind of problems here as the problems that grab headlines with same severity and frequency coming out of North County or parts of the city. WHY those problems exists mostly in those areas is a good conversation to have, but the location and rate of that kind of crime is honestly not up for debate.

Last edited by PCaesar; 11-29-2018 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Clarifying information

Old 11-29-2018, 11:28 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCaesar View Post

I moved to South County a couple of years ago. I'm white, middle class, college educated; in other words I got all the societal privileges afforded to someone in this country. Even then, South County is EXTREMELY insulated and closed off even to newcomers of similar circumstances as long-time residents and families. It's hard to get to know anyone here, and believe me I tried.

That's not even saying anything about other races. The Bosnian community is thriving here, but it's a community in the community, just as closed off to non-Bosnians in SC as white SC residents are to them. It works, but it doesn't fit the 'melting pot' model America likes to champion. Blacks, Latinxs and others are non-existent and I do believe that they're discouraged if not actively prevented from moving here. So I think you're right there.

That being said I think you're wrong about crime. You and I know that STL is neck and neck with Detroit in terms of violent crime (highest rate in the country) and very high in other forms. It's ridiculous to say that you have even the remotely the same kind of problems here as the problems that grab headlines with same severity and frequency coming out of North County or parts of the city. WHY those problems exists mostly in those areas is a good conversation to have, but the location and rate of that kind of crime is honestly not up for debate.

AS another who moved to South County, I wholeheartedly agree with this post - every word of it. I have never lived in any other part of the county. So I'll not make comparisons. But PCaesar has it on the nose about South County.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:41 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,338,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCaesar View Post

The crime in south county a lot of it spreads over from South city and the city. People from the city committing crimes in the county.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
The crime in south county a lot of it spreads over from South city and the city. People from the city committing crimes in the county.

Statements like this - which I am sure are true (as seen in other cities) - remind me that South County is a very huge region. Maybe I live in South South County?

Old 12-01-2018, 06:33 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Where are you getting this from?

I know there can sometimes be spill over and that works both ways but?

Old 12-01-2018, 02:09 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Where are you getting this from?

I know there can sometimes be spill over and that works both ways but?
Bias. Fits the preferred narrative for some. Remember Blake Snyder. Killed by a white guy from Affton. Worst thing I can remember happening in S. County and it wasn't "spillover" from the city.

S. County is fine. It's a lower crime area (not no crime, nowhere in the US has NO crime). Lindbergh is a great school district, but the other districts are mostly average/mediocre. Outside of Sunset Hills/Crestwood, it's fairly middle class and more blue collar. It's very non-diverse. It's the most provincial, insulated, never left town part of St. Louis. Probably the area of the metro that truly lives up to that rep that gives us a bad name...unfriendly to outsiders, something which is not nearly as true of the central corridor. It's chain shopping and chain restaurants and kind of a bland existence for my preferences. I'd personally never live in S. County. But it's fine, and it's cheaper than central/west county and I certainly know and love people that live there, but it's not for me. I'm a central county/city sort of person. I would never recommend an educated transplant choose S. County (except maybe Crestwood or Sunset Hills). Kirkwood/Webster...are central county, NOT S. County.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Bias. Fits the preferred narrative for some. Remember Blake Snyder. Killed by a white guy from Affton. Worst thing I can remember happening in S. County and it wasn't "spillover" from the city.

S. County is fine. It's a lower crime area (not no crime, nowhere in the US has NO crime). Lindbergh is a great school district, but the other districts are mostly average/mediocre. Outside of Sunset Hills/Crestwood, it's fairly middle class and more blue collar. It's very non-diverse. It's the most provincial, insulated, never left town part of St. Louis. Probably the area of the metro that truly lives up to that rep that gives us a bad name...unfriendly to outsiders, something which is not nearly as true of the central corridor. It's chain shopping and chain restaurants and kind of a bland existence for my preferences. I'd personally never live in S. County. But it's fine, and it's cheaper than central/west county and I certainly know and love people that live there, but it's not for me. I'm a central county/city sort of person. I would never recommend an educated transplant choose S. County (except maybe Crestwood or Sunset Hills). Kirkwood/Webster...are central county, NOT S. County.

I would love to live in Sunset Hills but, so far as I know, they do not have apartments other than that expensive, exclusive retirement place. What I like about Sunset Hills is their government. They involve the citizens and are quite helpful to anyone who has a question or an issue.

I also wouldn't mind living closer in but it's hard finding places when you really don't know the area very well. Guess I'll stay put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis