Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times

Advertisements

St. Louis Rowing Club

SchoolTube - St. Louis Rowing Club

I would probably join if I didn't live on a lake and have my own equipment. I've met a few of these people and they seem pretty decent.

I think the membership is $450 a year. Pretty good for a social as a well as a fitness club.
if any of you have HS age girls, rowing scholarships are still relatively easy to get. Little tougher for boys, but being on a rowing club always looks good on a college application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,739 times
Here's some info about Creve Coeur Lake:
It's a Native American name meaning "broken heart", and an explanation for why the lake is named Creve Coeur can be found on a sign at the base of the waterfalls.
The land surrounding the lake was designated Creve Coeur Park. Initially, the park was located in an unincorporated part of St Louis County.
The city of Creve Coeur was named for its relative proximity to the lake, although the city never annexed land there. Years later, when Maryland Heights was incorporated, the lake and park became part of that city.
My parents used too take me to the lake when I was a kid. I remember seeing these small rundown cabins that stood on stilts, across the road from the lake. My parents told me that before I was born, city folks used to take the streetcar out to the lake during summertime and stay in the cabins. Of course now, the cabins are long gone.
When I was a teenager, I spent many weekends just hanging out in the "upper park" with literally hundreds of other young people. It was a big gathering place, (and often a party place), where guys showed off their hot cars. Not sure if all this still goes on today or not.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:14 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Here's some info about Creve Coeur Lake:
It's a Native American name meaning "broken heart", and an explanation for why the lake is named Creve Coeur can be found on a sign at the base of the waterfalls.
Creve Couer is French for Broken Heart, and comes from the shape of the Lake.

And just so nobody hets started about the indian maiden bit. That that piece of Folklore is applied to almost any given lake in any given state. (lake Ronkonkoma on Long Island has the same story)

Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,739 times
^Oops, you're right....it's French! Got it mixed up with the Indian legend!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 AM

419 posts, read 1,332,571 times
Here are more frozen pics!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:32 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,572,536 times
Memories of Creve Couer Lake? I have many. In the 1940s my parents, aunts, uncles, cousins would go there many times during the summer. There were a few 'restaurant-bars'. One was the favorite of ours. On the stilts as mentioned. The main room was about 35-40 foot square with windows all around. A bar on the right as you entered after climbing the stairs from outside. Many tables for 4 all around. Juke box, shuffle board, darts and cards were played. A smaller room off of the back left provided us kids w/a place to sit and drink our soda and eat chips and play.

Later, as my cousins and I were a little older, 12-15, we would ride the Creve Couer streetcar from Wellston. Talk about a fun ride. These were the old fashioned street cars that swayed back and forth, clanged and were really fun to ride. Some of us would sit at the opposite end of the street car and thought it was amusing to give a yank every once in awhile on the pole leading from the street car to the line above. Ok, we were kids.

There were many of these buildings all set in a long row, on stilts on this side of the lake. Some would fish. Take boats out and paddle around. My cousins and I also visited the horse riding stables many times. Now that was fun riding the horses through the woods at the top of the hill. Lots of good remembories for that lake. Haven't been there in so many years!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,062 times
Great pictures Carrie! We recently moved to Maryland Heights after living downtown and are pretty excited about the area.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast-expat View Post
Great pictures Carrie! We recently moved to Maryland Heights after living downtown and are pretty excited about the area.
Thanks!

Maryland Heights has great amenities!! The lake and goodies like Thies Farm... yes. But also a great public pool/ rec center and phenomenal access to all major highways.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:27 PM

7 posts, read 22,069 times
My family ran the stables in the early 50s. I was 9 years old and I used to ride the lead horse, for the group of people on horses, through the woods and down to the lake. The lake did have fish back then and moterboats. I once rode in a speedboat with a 9 or 10 year old boy. Mom saw me and I got in trouble with her. I had a lot of fun at the lake back in those days. I also came down with Hep A and was sick all summer. We later had a little store at the lake. Moved to St. Charles at age 12.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Do you have old pics Milli? Would be cool to see!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis