Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 09:16 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

If you are going to take supplements, make sure that you buy good products

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...ign=2019-05-11

Here us a story about knowing what you put in your body:

https://www.livescience.com/65449-he...-pressure.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 11:29 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I buy only from quality companies and I know who they are. I don't buy CVS, Rite Aid etc brands and not even Costco, but who knows. A friend is sold on a costco antioxidant for about 8 yrs now and it's gotten her off pharma drug for the neuropathy she's lived with.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:41 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I buy quality brands and most of the time not from the drugstore. The USP brands contain what they say they contain but more often than not I've found that they don't contain a good quality product.

We've talked about this before. Some brands are tested and there's a list that was posted somewhere on here--I think it's by Consumer Reports. Some brands can't afford the $$$$$$$$ to get tested but they are still highly reliable products. I stick with the same brands that I know and trust.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I buy only from quality companies and I know who they are. I don't buy CVS, Rite Aid etc brands and not even Costco, but who knows.
It really doesn't matter where you buy your supplements as long as"
Quote:
Choose supplements that have the USP (United States Pharmacopeia) seal, showing they meet government guidelines for production and dissolution.
And, for the record, you are more likely to get quality USP drugs from the 3 you listed than online

Old 05-12-2019, 08:39 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
There's a site called Consumer Lab that provides reviews and recommendations to subscribers.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
There's a site called Consumer Lab that provides reviews and recommendations to subscribers.
Unfortunately I'm not a subscriber. But I use Carlson's fish oil--and it turned out to be highly rated when I was able to check a reliable source. I'm not going to go to a drug store or Walmart for supplements that have been sitting there or are of poor quality from contaminated waters. Oils can go rancid.

The other supplements I take are highly rated brands too. At one time I was able to get into one of those sites and the supplements I was taking were rated among the best.

I'd love to get into that Consumer Labs site!

Old 05-12-2019, 09:04 PM

Here are some of the top brands that different groups of people recommend. It's not as reliable as what's actually been tested but until we can get into Consumer Labs for ourselves, it may be better than nothing:

https://www.consumerlab.com/news/top...19/02-25-2019/

Old 05-12-2019, 09:23 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
There's a free page on Consumer Lab of reputable mail order vitamin and supplement firms. Generally, Vitacost, Puritan Pride, and others are investigated by the FDA because of the high volume of sales. So their store brands may be reputable. It's another question which formulation is effective and Consumer Lab has reviews on which brand is preferred.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:12 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,355,564 times
In addition to Consumer Labs, some companies do their own purity testing to assure quality. Nature's Way does its own testing. California Gold Nutrition (iHerb's brand) publishes its testing on its product pages.

I generally buy only from established health food store brands, mostly companies that have been around for decades that have stood the test of time. But brand isn't the only thing I look at.

I think in many cases the chemical composition of the supplement has more of an impact on the efficacy of a supplement.

For example, the most common form of magnesium is oxide. It is cheap but not very absorbable. A more absorbable form is mag citrate, or mag malate. Other forms help with different issues, such as mag glycinate for sleep.

The most common form of calcium is carbonate, but again it's not very absorbable. More bio-available forms are citrate and hydroxypatite. Someone with osteoporosis might take a product marketed as a "bone supplement" that contains cal carbonate. They might not get good results and conclude that it wasn't a "quality" supplement, when in reality they just chose an ineffective form. A better form would be calcium hydroxapatite, which is shown in studies to increase bone density.

Also, taking supporting nutrients is vital. Nature does not work in a vacuum. Taking calcium alone won't necessarily increase bone density. Other nutrients such as manganese, vitamins D & K, boron, and zinc, also play a part.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
In addition to Consumer Labs, some companies do their own purity testing to assure quality. Nature's Way does its own testing. California Gold Nutrition (iHerb's brand) publishes its testing on its product pages.

I generally buy only from established health food store brands, mostly companies that have been around for decades that have stood the test of time. But brand isn't the only thing I look at.

I think in many cases the chemical composition of the supplement has more of an impact on the efficacy of a supplement.

For example, the most common form of magnesium is oxide. It is cheap but not very absorbable. A more absorbable form is mag citrate, or mag malate. Other forms help with different issues, such as mag glycinate for sleep.

The most common form of calcium is carbonate, but again it's not very absorbable. More bio-available forms are citrate and hydroxypatite. Someone with osteoporosis might take a product marketed as a "bone supplement" that contains cal carbonate. They might not get good results and conclude that it wasn't a "quality" supplement, when in reality they just chose an ineffective form. A better form would be calcium hydroxapatite, which is shown in studies to increase bone density.

Also, taking supporting nutrients is vital. Nature does not work in a vacuum. Taking calcium alone won't necessarily increase bone density. Other nutrients such as manganese, vitamins D & K, boron, and zinc, also play a part.
So true. A lot of those cheap drug store brands may be what they are said to be but you wouldn't want to take them. We've talked about it before: the ubiquitous calcium carbonate instead of something that really gets absorbed like calcium citrate or (never heard of hydroxypatite.) Who cares if it's USP certified to be calcium carbonate when calcium carbonate is practically useless anyway?

And we've had a lot of discussions on magnesium. So what if it's USP cheap magnesium oxide if it doesn't work?

I have had trouble lately finding a multi that would supply the necessary nutrients for support. They all seem to fall short in one way or another--although I do have separate manganese, K2, zinc, and fish oil.
Back to Vitacost to see if they have anything new. I'm older so I know I need to supplement. Older people don't usually absorb nutrients as well as we used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements