Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 09:05 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
My doctor said to use over the counter Vitron C for Iron. It contains iron plus Vitamin C, which facilitates absorption of the iron.

Regarding Vitamin D deficiency, that's definitely a talk-to-your doctor issue. In some cases you might need prescription Calcitriol, for example. As my dr explained to me, regular Vitamin D supplements must be "converted" or "activated" in the body, and some people need the pre-converted/pre-activated prescription form called Calcitriol.
I used Vitron C as an iron supplement a little over a year ago when it was discovered that my hemoglobin had dropped significantly over 6 months and I was seriously iron deficient. The doctor didn't specify a brand or the amount when she
instructed me to take iron, but I was looking for a brand that I could tolerate without GI issues, and read that taking Vitamin C ( or drinking orange juice) with an iron tab would enhance absorption of the iron. I found the Vitron C ( has 65 mg elemental iron, and vitamin C), followed the directions to take it on an empty stomach a couple hours before any other meds. I woke up at around 5AM anyway to heed the call of nature, so I took it then. I had no problems at all taking it.

It didn't do very well at correcting my iron levels and anemia when I was also having issues with some serious GI bleeding. This turned out to be colon cancer, but fortunately I have beaten that so far, and the Vitron C helped to get my hemoglobin and iron levels back to somewhere approaching normal once I wasn't bleeding anymore- this after a booster of two iron infusions. They wanted to do a third iron infusion some time later, and I talked them into letting me try the Vitron C again to see if that would help. It did and they were happy with the results.

I've recommended Vitron C to my PCP and cohorts, and the oncologist just for their information. They had never heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 09:10 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
I have taken a variety of over-the-counter vitamin D supplements 5000 I.U. and had my blood redrawn to test for improvement, and I have found it doesn't matter which brand I take, fyi. They all work.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:15 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know that this is true,
That's definitely not true. It varies from person to person (melanin content of their skin) and the latitude where they live.

Rule of thumb, if you're burning, you over did. Otherwise, enjoy the sun, it's good for you. Many more people die from causes linked to too little sun exposure than they do to skin cancer.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:07 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
My meticulous neighbor and friend complained to me after a year and concerted effort her vitamin D levels remained low. I clued her into needing K2 with D3. She gave it a try and retested and it worked ... Once in a while I know something she doesn't.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:10 AM

20 years ago I went to give blood. They told me I was anemic. They told me to go to the drug store and get ferrous sulfate. I remember my iron levels recovered very rapidly. It was then and is a cheap generic way to recover iron levels.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Instead of supplement brands, what may matter more are the specific formulations of iron and Vit D based on what your specific needs happen to be. Do you actually have a deficiency or iron/vit D sensitive health conditions? Some formulations may address those better than others. I tend to avoid dotcom links because I know they're trying to sell me something and they're going to suggest theirs is best. Educate yourself about how those supplements work overall. Non commercial information sources like these may provide more baseline nutritional information you can use to evaluate and choose brands:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/li...aminsMinerals/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24201915/

https://consumereview.org/reviews/an...content=Search

Study up on the brands that Olympic and other athletes use for their supplementation. I did that years ago. I take Usana (though I believe that is usurped by something even better now). I use Douglas Labs a lot. I feel if I am going to supplement I should use a high quality or there may just be no point to it.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:17 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisnIvy View Post
yes I am deficiency on both.

I am deficient on both two and my Doctor told me to take supplements.
She mentioned to take a vitamin C tablet with the iron to increase absorption.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 12-13-2023 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-13-2023, 01:29 PM

147 posts, read 111,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
My meticulous neighbor and friend complained to me after a year and concerted effort her vitamin D levels remained low. I clued her into needing K2 with D3. She gave it a try and retested and it worked ... Once in a while I know something she doesn't.

https://weliveconscious.com/product/...iABEgKNDvD_BwE

this is what i take but I need to up my mg

Old 12-13-2023, 02:35 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
That's definitely not true. It varies from person to person (melanin content of their skin) and the latitude where they live.

Rule of thumb, if you're burning, you over did. Otherwise, enjoy the sun, it's good for you. Many more people die from causes linked to too little sun exposure than they do to skin cancer.
I used to believe this too, until I was plagued by skin cancers. I'm fair and blue-eyed (Swedish) and now being told to stay out of the sun altogether. I can see blotches form after just a few minutes.

Now that we retired on the beach, at the equator, lol.

So I take Life Extension Vit. D with K and sea-iodine. 5,000 units. We both take it and DH is b-12 deficient so he takes LE sub-lingual B-12. We trust LE and have taken their supplements for over a decade.

I wear sunscreen on my face and just cover up everything else with sun-protective clothing. Yeah, it's too hot, but what can ya do.....

Old 12-13-2023, 02:51 PM

334 posts, read 662,024 times
Best iron to take is Slow Fe. I need to take two a day as I am borderline anemic. Any brand of Vit. D works as my wife had a Vit. D deficiency and she took about three different brands over a period of six months. When tested again, she was no longer deficient in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements