Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
What bleeding? The OP had a respiratory infection.
Whoops, sorry!!! Wrong thread.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 02:03 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
What bleeding? The OP had a respiratory infection.

I thought I was going crazy, but I see now what I did. I thought jrvpops was the original poster. He was the one with the bleeding.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I thought I was going crazy, but I see now what I did. I thought jrvpops was the original poster. He was the one with the bleeding.
LOL, I knew what you did, but had ta give you trouble. I do agree that if you have rectal bleeding that happens more than once in a row, should probably be checked out. Trouble is, sometimes the tests pose risks of their own--it took me a week to recover from the effects of anesthesia after a colonoscopy. Not fun--it made my bones hurt and I felt flu-ish, but the worst part is that my husband thought I was just using it for an excuse.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM

83 posts, read 183,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Seriously, I really have my doubts. I'm just recovering from a bad upper and lower respiratory infection (bacterial, not viral) and all the raw garlic I took (and its was lots, maybe 3-5 cloves a day crushed and stuffed into gelatin caps) only seemed to make the nasty critters stronger. It finally took Zithromax to get the infection under control and I am presently recovering. Thank God for antibiotics. I think a mysticism of some sort has grown around garlic as some sort of magic bullet that cures all infections.

It does not.

I will continue to take it after I am recovered because there must be some good things about it, but as far as keeping me safe from bad bacteria in my lungs or sinuses I'm afraid I've lost all confidence in it.

I took it for a toothache until I saw a Dentist <it helped>, however took it while I had an upper respiratory infection and it did nothing...

Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Garlic has potent antibiotic and antiviral properties, but ingesting it isn't going to help with much, other than the antibiotic/antiviral needs of the digestive system.

If you have inflammation under your gums, then yes - chewing on a sliver of a garlic clove or applying a little oil that you (personally, recently) smashed a clove in, will help. It won't cure the cause, but it is known to help at least til you can get to a dentist.

If you have an earache, then dabbing a small amount of freshly-infused oil against the *visible* part of the ear canal will help, at least temporarily, until you can get to the doctor. In some cases, it can clear up an ear infection completely but you still need to see a doctor to find out why you got the infection in the first place, so that you can determine if you need to take preventative measures.

If you have a sinus infection, rubbing that tiny amount of infused oil on the side of your nose, above the gumline of your mouth, and at the perimeter of your cheekbone, *can* open up those sinuses. And using garlic-infused oil on your upper chest *can* relieve upper respiratory congestion.

However, there are much more efficient methods of each of these things, plus there's the stench factor. Plus you have to prepare the oil fresh for each use. You can't store it for more than a day or so.

I do personally use garlic for ear infections and sinus headaches (chewing a clove of garlic will knock that headache to the outer stratesphere) but I haven't had one in years. Swallowing garlic won't do diddly for an ear infection though.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:21 AM

55 posts, read 197,747 times
The best holistic supplement to treat systemic infections ans inflamation is Silver Sol as it will not
mutate or destroy the amount of flora in your gut like antibiootics do. Generally 2 tsps per day for 6 days will kill MRSA,Gram negative bacilli ,all flu virues including Sars etc. Antibiotics are ineffective
as a anti-viral, whereas Silver Sol kills a wide range of conditions ie fungal,parsitical,bacterias,and
viruses. If I had the money I would bring suit against the government, who has the research and
uses it in wound management in Afganistan yet haven't brought this to the table that could reduce
medical cost by billions not withstanding the erradication of Malaria. The ignorance and lack of
empowerment of infectious disease MD's DO'S and Nurses is inexcuseable. Silver Sol is an emergent
new reformulation of the old and limited colloidal silver totally advancing to nano technology.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times
Garlic is a powerful herb for sure. Fights respiratory diseases, Inhibits cancer, Kills herpes on contact, Thins blood, Detoxifies, Acts as an anti-oxidant, Lowers blood sugar, Lowers cholesterol, Helps to treats HIV/AIDS infections, and Strengthens the immune. Here is an article by Leo Galland, MD. It also talks about the benefit of onions to the diet.

Leo Galland, M.D.: Surprising Health Benefits Of Garlic And Onions

Garlic Health Benefits - Garlic Medicinal Uses - Garlic Good For Health

Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,624 times
For all those above use the search engines for holistic remedies. I did, when a tool that broke off in my tooth during a root canal that caused many abscessed break outs over the years. I've had to go to the dentist and get lanced several times until my insurance ran out. Now I take 3000 ml every 4 hours for 4 days with a gallon of water a day. Believe me it works well. Eat garlic daily it will help you. If you do decide to eat garlic instead of taking the odorless garlic pills, crush it first. You have to break the cells and let the chemicals mix in order to for the antibiotic to work.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew hollstein View Post
For all those above use the search engines for holistic remedies. I did, when a tool that broke off in my tooth during a root canal that caused many abscessed break outs over the years. I've had to go to the dentist and get lanced several times until my insurance ran out. Now I take 3000 ml every 4 hours for 4 days with a gallon of water a day. Believe me it works well. Eat garlic daily it will help you. If you do decide to eat garlic instead of taking the odorless garlic pills, crush it first. You have to break the cells and let the chemicals mix in order to for the antibiotic to work.
If you kept having abscessed tooth infections from the same tooth over and over for years, then something was REALLY wrong - with the intelligence of someone who continues going back to the same dentist for the same problem over and over again, and expecting a different outcome (one definition of insanity), and with the dentist for robbing a sucker blind for so long.

And no, you don't have to crush the garlic first. You just have to chew it. And, the antibiotic properties of garlic are topical - that means, they work directly on whatever they touch. So if you ingest it, it'll have an affect on your digestive system. If you chew it, it'll have an effect on your mouth. If you rub it on your toe, it'll have an effect on your toe. Eating garlic won't affect your mouth, unless you chew it, and allow the oil to penetrate the affected area.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,837 times
If you eat a massive amount of garlic it will give you the SH one ts.

That's not a problem - it's a fact.

If you eat rather large (some would say 'ridiculously large') amounts of garlic then although that consumption might stop you being eaten alive by vampires ( including mosquitoes and horseflies) there is no evidence that it stops you being bitten by other intersects. (I'm a Brit, and it's 'British Humour' - you wouldn't understand. ) (Something like 'x' es)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements