Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2006, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 16,790 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I have been offered a position in research at the University in Syracuse, unfortunately it doesn't pay that much but I really would like to do it. The contract is for three years beginning ín Jan 2007. The pay is about $25k per year but we would have a household income of about $45k per year. Can a family of 4 make an ok living on $45k per year in Syracuse, NY? In addition to this we would bring in cash to buy a car and possibly buy a house. Our family consist of me, my wife and our two kids who are 4 and 12 years old. Both of them play icehockey so any tips on youth icehockey would be appreciated.
What do you people who lives in the area of Syracuse think, which would be our best bet, rent a townhouse or buy a house in the burbs?
Also, as many others I'm wondering which areas you recommend.
If we where to buy a house we would like to buy one to fix up and possibly sell without a loss when we move back to Sweden in 3 years, hence live for free. Any particular areas we should look at?

Regards
Thomas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 07:34 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,430,893 times
Hi, Thomas.

I hope others will help me with this, but I think a family of four could live on $45k per year in the Syracuse area. If you want to sell a house after the three years, then I would say buy a house in the suburbs. As to where to look in the suburbs, thats hard to answer because there are so many factors to go into. For example, if your children will be playing hockey for the "Syracuse Stars", then you may want to be close to the Ice Rinks which are located in Baldwinsville (Lysander Radisson Arena) Cicero (Cicero Twin Rinks) and Geddes (Coca-Cola Coliseum). But if you want to be close to your job at Syracuse University, then you should look into DeWitt and Fayetteville.
The Syracuse suburbs have many many older homes, finding one shouldn't be a problem.

For the youth hockey organization in Syracuse try googling "Syracuse Midstate Youth Hockey"

I hope this gets you started. I'll be happy to answer any other questions.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:45 PM

Thanks Bellafinzi,
we are leaning towards the suburbs since this would be a more familiar life for us. I will have to comute to work and thats fine.

Are you familiar with the youth icehockey in Syracuse? Is it different teams at each Ice rink or is Syracuse stars the only team in Syracuse?

Regards
Thomas

Old 09-27-2006, 06:28 PM

Your welcome!

I am not familiar with all the details of youth ice hockey in Syracuse. I don't know which teams play at which rinks, etc. Here is what I do know about the Syracuse Stars:

a)different age groups have different teams all called the Syracuse Stars
b)there are try outs to get on the teams
c)Syracuse Stars are good, many of the age groups won the New York State Championships last year

Outside the Syracuse Stars, there are also some suburban school districts that have their own ice hockey teams like Baldwinsville, Liverpool, North Syracuse, Fayetteville/Manlius, and West Gennesee.

Hope this helps a little!

Old 10-02-2006, 05:15 AM

Thanks,
I think that one of the local teams is probably whats rigth for my son since he is playing for fun not to become a pro.

I read on the forums that there are crime and stuff in south and east Syracuse is that in the absolute down town or general directions?
It seems like there are a lot of cheap housing west of the HW81 near the university, is that one of the bad areas?
If so, how far out in that direction should we stay clear of?

Thomas

Old 10-02-2006, 05:17 AM

P.S. I would love if someone could mark on a map which areas to stay out of so I had something to go by D.S.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:13 AM

302 posts, read 1,049,851 times
This may help you!

www.comehometosyracuse.com

Old 10-02-2006, 02:17 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,525 times
I think you will be able to make ends meet just fine.

Sorry, no help with the ice hockey, just wanted to add my .02 about the very cheap cost of living there.

They are expanding the NYANG base up there too so that might give a little jolt to the local economy in the future.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsThorsell View Post
P.S. I would love if someone could mark on a map which areas to stay out of so I had something to go by D.S.
Personally, I wouldn't live in the city itself. I think you should check out the suburbs first. But, if you really want to buy a house in the city avoid the southside. It's the area west of I-81, south of downtown and north of the valley. The southwest side isn't the greatest either. It's a mostly Hispanic neighborhood. The neighborhood just north of downtown has some crime too. The only areas where I'd suggest living in the city is Eastwood, and the area that buts up against DeWitt in the southeast part of the city. I know I said to buy a house in my previous post, but if it's a house in the city vs. a townhouse in the suburbs, I'd take the townhouse in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area