Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 10,259 times

Advertisements

Hi all

We are a family relocating to Syracuse NY and have been told that the best schools area in Skaneateles? And my husbands office would be not to far from there- My concerns are the following- we have lived in Miami, NYC and Atlanta and we area not particularly fond of small town mentality or living, So what would be a great school district option outside of this town with a great diverse neighborhood? I will be flying up to check the town out and hope its not as spread out as the internet suggests. Keep in mind that every place we have lived we can walk to restaurants and boutiques we love living in eclectic middle class areas.

And a I need a good area to open up my boutique as well!(fashion forward clothing and home accessories)

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 PM

93,701 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Fayetteville-Manlius would be a good fit due to being a very good school district with 2 walkable villages of the same names, plenty of shopping in Fayetteville and is arguably the most affluent school district in the area. While it isn't the most diverse suburban SD, it has a notable Asian student population, with a few Black students and a couple of Hispanic students in terms of percentage.

Jamesville-DeWitt, which is between Syracuse and the F-M school district is also very good and is more diverse ethnically/racially, but the only somewhat walkable area there is the Dewittshire/Orvilton area around East Genesee Street.

Skaneateles is also a good SD, but isn't diverse. It does have a nice, walkable village though. Big Box shopping would be done in Auburn or Camillus/Fairmount though.

A sleeper could be Liverpool. It is one of the most diverse suburban school districts in the area. It has a nice walkable village with a great park. Schools, while not the districts mentioned above, are still good and it has the biggest high school in the area. It is close to DestinyUSA, the Regional Market and Big Box shopping on Route 57 and Route 31 in Clay, as well as Brewerton Road/Route 11 in Cicero.

If you don't mind me asking, where would your husband's office be located in the area?

As for a boutique, a village like Manlius or even Liverpool may work. Maybe Fayetteville too, but I wonder about competition from nearby Big Box and local stores. I know that there are spaces in the village of North Syracuse that may work or you may even be able to open it up in Downtown Syracuse in a space in or near Armory Square.

Welcome to the area!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,765,301 times
Skaneateles sounds perfect for you, to be honest. Definitely go and walk around. And for a boutique, you'd do much better there than Fayetteville-Manlius too.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:42 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,619,981 times
I don't think you will find an area that doesn't feel like small town living. Even downtown Syracuse feels pretty small town to me. Skaneateles is your best bet for your business and school district.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 AM

93,701 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Another possibility could be to look into Marshall street near Syracuse University. A boutique could appeal to students, faculty, staff, as well as employees of the nearby hospitals and those staying at the hotels on University Hill. There may be some competition, but if it offers something different, it may work. Home » Crouse-Marshall

Welcome to University Hill!

I would say to consider Westcott Street, but I don't know if it would work as well there.

Since Syracuse is an area to easily navigate through, I think as far as school districts that are good with diverse neighborhoods, J-D would be the best choice. Specifically, an area that could work is the Bradford Heights area off of Tecumseh Road. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=tecum...97.81,,0,-0.17

Some of the nearby neighborhoods in DeWitt could also work. I'd also say that the Dewittshire/Orvilton area of DeWitt could work and you could possibly even walk to some things close by on East Genesee Street. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=east+...,66.87,,0,8.02

In Liverpool, you may like this area of the village for its walkability: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=liver...126.85,,0,1.71

Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,279,763 times
If you want diversity you are not going to find it in any of the suburbs or small towns around Syracuse including Skaneateles. Stick to the city: downtown, near the university. There are some great older homes available.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 AM

Diversity means different things to different people.

For many, I've found, diversity is meant as a place where residents don't sneer and clutch their baseball bats and purses when non-white people walk by. Skaneateles is fine, if that's the meaning.

If she wants racial/economic/religious or lack thereof diversity, in the very most literal sense of the word, she can move to the northside... but there will be high crime, a substandard school district, and it's a terrible place to open a high-end boutique. Disastrous.

Skaneateles, for her business and family - and if it's in the household budget - is a much better choice. A world apart in opportunity.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 AM

The reason I say that Skan is better than FM is because of your business. Skaneateles is a destination - people go to park and walk around the shops and cafes and restaurants and pier... maybe go for a boat ride. People do that drastically less in Manlius. We have the Swan Pond and Mill Run Park. The Swan Pond is next to a dark restaurant that gets a lot of business but that's about it... across the street are insurance/financial businesses. The set up is ridiculous. If those business moved to the empty row across from Sno-Top and a row building was set up where they were - filled with boutiques - their business would be much, much better. But as it is now, the foot traffic is near nothing, in comparison to "Skinny."

Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM

54 posts, read 62,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
The reason I say that Skan is better than FM is because of your business. Skaneateles is a destination - people go to park and walk around the shops and cafes and restaurants and pier... maybe go for a boat ride. People do that drastically less in Manlius. We have the Swan Pond and Mill Run Park. The Swan Pond is next to a dark restaurant that gets a lot of business but that's about it... across the street are insurance/financial businesses. The set up is ridiculous. If those business moved to the empty row across from Sno-Top and a row building was set up where they were - filled with boutiques - their business would be much, much better. But as it is now, the foot traffic is near nothing, in comparison to "Skinny."
But how's the foot traffic in Skaneateles in January? Armory Square or Marshall Street is a much better option for year round retail, I think. Without knowing exactly what the OP's definition of "high end boutique" I lean towards Amory Square because I don't really put "high end" and "college students" together but I'm not running the business.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedmunkie View Post
But how's the foot traffic in Skaneateles in January? Armory Square or Marshall Street is a much better option for year round retail, I think. Without knowing exactly what the OP's definition of "high end boutique" I lean towards Amory Square because I don't really put "high end" and "college students" together but I'm not running the business.
January is a bad time for just about everyone in retail, regardless of the location. You want to stockpile profits in the good season - which is probably every other month, in Skan. That is, IF January is a bad time at all... do they do anything touristy there, for entertainment, in January?

Armory Square, I just can't see it happening. People do much more window shopping/time killing than actual buying. The traffic is high but the buying is not, as much. And there would be 1000% more homeless people asking to use the bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area