Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Island family moving to Syracuse area, seeking information on IT employment opportunities, school districts, single income family, visiting area in April

Old 12-10-2006, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 22,086 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I know that you guys are probably tired of answering the same questions about the same things, but I would really appreciate some advice on my specific situation if anyone is interested in reading what I have got to say. I have read that a lot of people are moving from Long Island to the upstate New York area for similar reasons...nice, but less expensive homes...and good school districts if you have children. Well, I am looking to do the same. I am a stay at home mom with 3 young children. (my oldest is 7) My husband works for a well known company as a website programmer. I would like to move to Syracuse. I have had the pleasure of seeing the pictures Bellafinzi posted of the clay area and I loved them! She also informed me of some of the areas with great school districts and of homes that aren't very expensive. I am looking for advice as far as jobs, other areas with good school districts and nice neighborhoods. I don't think I want to live in a rural area though...I would like to be as close to the schools in town and grocery stores as possible. I am worried that my husband won't be able to find a job. I am currently a stay at home mom and will neeed to remain one until I get my last 2 little ones off to school, so my husband's income is all we've got. I heard that IT jobs in Syracuse are very hard to find. If anyone can help. I would greatly appreciate it...by the way, my husband also has got experience in web design and management, but website programming is...I guess "his thing." I will also try and find out whatever information I can surfing the internet. Also, if anyone can give more input about what other areas are affordable...and what areas to stay away from because as beautiful as Syracuse look in those pictures and from what I have heard, I also know that there are certain areas no matter where you go that aren't so good. I would just like a heads up on that as well. I plan on getting in touch with a real estate agent within the next week or so and I would like some help narrowing things down. We also plan on making our visit down there in April during my daughter's spring break from school. We hope to be settled in our new home by mid August or at least a month before the new school year starts (does anyone know when that is? School usually starts in September out here.) Thank you all soo much for your help and taking the time to read this long, long post I've typed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 05:50 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,855 times
MsNewYork, I made the move from LI to Syracuse. I was in Bellmore and moved to a town called Baldwinsville. Bad news is we might move back. I have two teenagers and one is not adjusting very well and it is causing us great concern. On the other hand I can not over state how nice it is here in every aspect of living. This area completely defies what every Long Islander thinks of upstate. The only true stereotype is the snow. So I traded in crowds and traffic for snow, not bad, I love the snow. The nieghborhood is spectacular, shopping is so close. The stores are not crowded and are so classy, you feel a richness when you shop in stores that are so nice, like Wegmans. There is no fear or concern of violence. People are so pleasant it is unreal. I didn't know a place this nice actually existed. We have a summer home nearby on the fingerlakes and I work from home. It sounds like your kids are young enough to make the change. The only problem is the transformation of community and the separation of family. If that is not a problem then I would do it. I guess economy can be a concern. I am not sure how every one around here makes a living, but people are living very large. Everyones homes are so beautiful, like out of a story book. 2 new cars in every drive way, but nothing pretentious. No LI snobbyness. OK I could go on, you get it.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:43 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,277,616 times
Any of the Syracuse burbs are good. The ones to the north of the city (Clay, Liverpool, Baldwinsville) are less expensive than those to the south of it (Manlius, Dewitt, Fayetteville). I'd avoid anything within the city limits, especially the south side.

The local newspaper is at Syracuse.com. There are a ton of jobs for medical people, especially nurses and there are many for engineers, especially software or electrical with security clearances. The Syracuse paper lists jobs for a large contiguous area from Utica to Binghamton to Watertown. Not sure about opportunities for your husband. You can check on the Syracuse University website to see if they have anything.

The schools are very good here and a pretty good amount of cultural activities too.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:04 PM

3,523 posts, read 9,438,128 times
msnewyork, schools in the Syracuse area start in early September too.

Found an internet consulting firm in Syracuse looking for website developers
http://www.bentleyhoke.com/careers/

Here is a link showing many Wesite design firms located around Syracuse
http://syrahoo.web-arch.com/hoocat_c_intconsult.php3 (broken link)

Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 PM

12 posts, read 46,860 times
Li Is Not That Bad And People Are Making A Bad Name For Long Island

Old 03-24-2007, 10:11 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,855 times
Monick, No maybe it is not "that" bad, but after experiencing this, I would say it is a ten time nicer quality of life up here. Not sure where you live on LI but things seem to be changing in Nassau County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area