Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:29 PM

48 posts, read 208,624 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've been living up in the Syracuse area for a couple months now and I still don't quite understand what "Destiny USA" is. I walk around the Carousel Center and I see these renderings of these grand ideas...Tuscan Villages, nice hotels, etc...and it all looks very nice.

What, if anything, is actually being built? It still looks pretty stagnant down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 04:13 PM

641 posts, read 2,014,362 times
A fantasy that is being used by a developer for cheap tax breaks......

Old 03-23-2008, 12:11 PM

3,523 posts, read 9,438,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
A fantasy that is being used by a developer for cheap tax breaks......
Could very well be, but that makes no logical sense. Here's why:

The PILOT tax agreement only stands if each phase of the expansion takes place within a set timeframe. For example, if phase 2 of the expansion does not begin before a certain month in 2009 "(forgot the exact date) then the Mall goes back on the tax rolls.

If the developer didn't intend to build the whole project, why did he make an agreement that only allows tax breaks as long as the project moves ahead?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiseco View Post
Hey all,

I've been living up in the Syracuse area for a couple months now and I still don't quite understand what "Destiny USA" is. I walk around the Carousel Center and I see these renderings of these grand ideas...Tuscan Villages, nice hotels, etc...and it all looks very nice.

What, if anything, is actually being built? It still looks pretty stagnant down there.
The first phase, what is under construction, is just retail....more stores and restaurants. If my memory is correct, after the first phase is complete, Carousel Mall will become the fourth largest mall in the US.

The second phase is the hotel. The developer is having trouble finding financing with the current credit crunch.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 PM

641 posts, read 2,014,362 times
He may want to expand the mall....but he may be committing economic suicide if he's not careful. That mall is a SHADOW of what it was when it opened...even adding stores he'd be wise to differentiate the store selection given the competition for shopping with ROchester, Albany and Buffalo (like a Cabellas...). If gas were 2.00 a gallon (lol..) things may be more optimistic for the Syracuse mall...but I think he's going to have a tough time drawing people there with the economy and gas issues coming down the pike/thruway unless he creates something highly different...

My hunch is that the creditors will want to see what he does with the expansion. I'm not a pessimist...but I think that mall draws a consumer that will be more effected by this coming recesssion than a lot of areas. Of course I hope I'm wrong....

I still think Syracuse is getting used big time by Congel....

Old 03-25-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiseco View Post
Hey all,

Sorry, I never really answered your question. Basically Destiny USA is another Mall of America but this time built using green technology....

Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 AM

623 posts, read 1,818,642 times
It is Syracuse's big economic hope for the future. They feel they will attract shoppers from around the northeast and Canada.

Syracuse would be better off providing tax breaks and incentives for manufact./other industry based businesses to move in the area. As it stands now most major industry has moved out, and if Verizon starts going the way of other telecoms/IT businesses you will see alot of support/help desk jobs leave the area as well.

Retail is not the solution Syracuse needs.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM

83 posts, read 311,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
He may want to expand the mall....but he may be committing economic suicide if he's not careful. That mall is a SHADOW of what it was when it opened...
How so? The mall did lose a few anchors (Lechmere, Chappell's, Hills) but were filled in with new juniors. Granted, there's a few vacancies (Circuit City, Macy's Furniture, CompUSA, Steve & Barry's) and there's a recession going on, but I'm sure Pyramid has it all figured out.

...or do they?

Old 04-12-2009, 02:43 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,583,721 times
LOL, I doubt very much they have it figured out.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:54 PM

727 posts, read 1,534,958 times
Carousel Mall seems to have pretty much all the same stores that the average mall here in Richmond has, with the exception of some high-end retailers like Crate and Barrel or Nordstrom. Would there even be a sizable market for those kinds of stores in the Syracuse area? Personally, the main mall needs to be remodeled so that it doesn't look the mall from Fast Times at Ridgemont High before they can even think about expanding. I think they need to benchmark Tyson's Corner mall in suburban Washington, DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area