Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:03 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,721,315 times

Advertisements

Confused? Come on. You know better then that.

You know what I mean by "Android tablet".
A Samsung Galaxy tablet has access to the Google Play store "out of the box". 1,000's of books and magazines there.
You can install the Amazon Kindle app in about a minute. The Nook app in about a minute. Same with an iPad.

So ANY non Kindle tablet will have access to twice as many books (minimum) as a Kindle. Probably even a Windows one.

Bottom line re: this question: Amount of books available should not be a deciding factor in tablet purchase. No matter which one you get you're never going to run out of books to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:39 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,715,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The Nexus 7 v2 is one of the best tablets out there in terms of what you get and the price. It's a tad small but that's not a bad thing for many people. The original Nexus 7 is a piece of crap, however... and it's still being sold. So make sure you're getting the 2nd one if you go this route.
Are you actually saying that with a straight face? Yes, the Nexus 7 v2 is an improvement over the original. However, the original was in NO WAY a "piece of crap". I own three of the original Nexus 7's and they have been fantastic little tablets. When they came out, they took the entire tablet market by storm. I have never read a review or talked to owner who called it "a piece of crap". Also, the size is not "small", it's perfect.

If I was to buy a new one today, I would get the v2 for the better screen, rear camera and processor/ram improvements. However...if someone wants to save money then the original Nexus 7 is an incredible value. You can get a 16GB original Nexus 7 for $150. The v2 costs $230. That's an $80 (35%) difference. Given that the original will get all of the same Android OS updates the v2 will and is more than powerful enough to do pretty much anything, why not save the money.

The original N7 was considered the best tablet you could buy last year in terms of value at its $200 price and it wasn't even like it was really all that "budget" in terms of what you got. The N7 v2 is currently the best tablet you can buy in that $230 price point and again isn't exactly a "budget" buy. HOWEVER...the original N7 is hands down the absolute best tablet you can buy for under $200, let alone under $150.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,413,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The original N7 was considered the best tablet you could buy last year in terms of value at its $200 price and it wasn't even like it was really all that "budget" in terms of what you got. The N7 v2 is currently the best tablet you can buy in that $230 price point and again isn't exactly a "budget" buy. HOWEVER...the original N7 is hands down the absolute best tablet you can buy for under $200, let alone under $150.
My Nexus 7-12 died in September. It's out of warranty and won't boot. It was not dropped. I liked it but I wanted a microSd slot from the beginning but bought it for the better resolution than most other tablets at the time.

Now I am looking at this:

Tegra Note 7 review | Android Central

Same resolution as Nexus 7-12 but includes microSD and stylus for $200.

psik

Old 11-15-2013, 12:58 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,715,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
My Nexus 7-12 died in September. It's out of warranty and won't boot. It was not dropped. I liked it but I wanted a microSd slot from the beginning but bought it for the better resolution than most other tablets at the time.

Now I am looking at this:

Tegra Note 7 review | Android Central

Same resolution as Nexus 7-12 but includes microSD and stylus for $200.

psik
We had one of our three N7's die after about 6 months of use. My kids mainly use the tablets and I have a hunch it was dropped (no physical damage though). ASUS covered the repair under warranty through the RMA process which was relatively quick and painless. Sorry your's won't boot. You may want to check around as sometimes when the batteries get fully discharged or they won't boot there are some steps you can take to get them going again. We had a problem with one after the battery was fully discharged which required it being left on the charger for a couple of hours, booted while plugged in and then left to charge to 100%.

Anyway, the Tegra Note seems pretty good. I haven't read too much on them. It has some neat features, which if they are things you will use, it justifies paying the extra $50 versus the N7-12's that are still out there. I would however have a hard time buying that when an extra $30 gets me the N7-13. If mSD is important and a critical feature to you, then it makes it obvious. I find it to not be that big of a deal, especially when in this case, you can only add 16GB for a total of 32GB.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:03 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,680,669 times
I have a Nexus 7 and it's been great for the tn months I've had it. Absolutely no issues and the most bang for my buck at the time.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:16 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,606,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Looking for a tablet. Don't need it to anything but access internet (flash access) and play videos. Price must be reasonable. Which one would you guys recommend?
Nexus 7 (2013) - 16 GB version is $229/ 32 GB is $269

Kindle Fire HDX (7 inch version) - 16 GB is $229/ 32 GB is $269/ 64 GB is $309

Barnes and Nobles Nook HD+ is $149 for 9 inch version and $129 for 7 inch version; neither has a camera though.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Nexus 7 (2013) - 16 GB version is $229/ 32 GB is $269
This one is my top pick for cheap, well spec'd, tablet. I like the form factor as well.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:41 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,606,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This one is my top pick for cheap, well spec'd, tablet. I like the form factor as well.
Yeah, the Nexus 7 seems to be the top android tablet according to various tech websites. However, I have a Nexus 4 smartphone which has the same specs as the N7 so I'm not sure if its worth getting one since the only thing the N7 has over the N4 is screen size. There are rumors that an 8 inch Nexus is coming for the holiday season, if so I'll be waiting to see as its rumored to have a newer processor (either Snapdragon 600 or 800).

Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,169,298 times
I bought a Samsung 10-inch tablet a year ago and have been very happy with it. The version I have is currently selling for under $300. My computing needs are also fairly basic - internet access, movies and videos, some e-books.

Samsung Galaxy Tab

The 7-inch version is quite a bit cheaper but I already have a smart phone with a decent-sized screen and didn't see the point in getting something with a screen just a little bigger than my phone.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:43 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,105,320 times
Dell has rejoined the tablet market and they're getting pretty favorable reviews.

Dell venue 7" tablet is $149

Dell Venue 8" tablet is $179 for 16 GB and $199 for 32 GB

these tablets are very similar

here's a link to the C-Net review of the Dell venue 8

Dell Venue 8 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

"Though it lacks any exciting design elements or a token high-end feature, the Dell Venue 8 is a refreshingly welcome tablet that nails the price to value ratio. It's a sub-$200 tablet running a pure recent version of Android that actually delivers smooth performance. That's something we don't see often enough"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets