Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:27 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I like my Kindle. Why don’t you like them? Your link didn’t have the review but I found it elsewhere. It looks like a nice tablet.
Because I want my tablet (or PC) to be platform agnostic. As a fan of Amazon and a PRIME subscriber I don't want Amazon Amazon Amazon shoved down my throat every time I turn my tablet on.
I want to rent a movie from Google, or Fandango. Can't on Kindle. I can rent movies on an Android tablet from at LEAST 15 sources.
There's no official YouTube app on Kindle because Amazon and Google don't like each other.
An Android tablet is much more open. They don't block the Amazon app.
Yet, anyway. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 02:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Because I want my tablet (or PC) to be platform agnostic. As a fan of Amazon and a PRIME subscriber I don't want Amazon Amazon Amazon shoved down my throat every time I turn my tablet on.
I want to rent a movie from Google, or Fandango. Can't on Kindle. I can rent movies on an Android tablet from at LEAST 15 sources.
There's no official YouTube app on Kindle because Amazon and Google don't like each other.
An Android tablet is much more open. They don't block the Amazon app.
Yet, anyway. lol
It doesn't bother me all that much that a book they're trying to promote is on my Kindle paperwhite screen. I just zap it off. I was on Goodreads for awhile but they never recommend anything I wanted to read and I got tired of their emails so I unsubscribed.

I guess Kindle Fire is like that too. But as long as they don't interrupt what I'm doing I guess I can live with it. If I get the Fire I will download GOOGlE PLAY as per instructions give here. I've seen them elsewhere as well.

For movie watching, if I want YouTube, I do have an app for it on my TV, also VUDU and Netflix. As someone pointed out, the tablet isn't going to be the best thing for all movie watching.

I agree with your points though. It's just a matter of what I want to live with.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:32 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Like I said, it's super easy to install the Google Play store on the Fire tablets. Took all of 5 minutes. Once installed, you can get of all the google apps you want including youtube. I have a Samsung Tab 10.1 and I think my Fire's screen is way better/clearer. My Fire is faster than the Samsung too and I paid twice as much for the Samsung. I do like that the Samsung is more customizable than the Fire though. All in all, they're both nice. Heck, my 4 year old Fire 7 is still going strong. I use it for traveling as it's more portable...fits in my purse.

I just checked and the Father's Day sale is now over and the Fire is back up to $150. It was at $119 over Father's Day. Might want to wait for the next sale. They usually have them during holidays.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Like I said, it's super easy to install the Google Play store on the Fire tablets. Took all of 5 minutes. Once installed, you can get of all the google apps you want including youtube. I have a Samsung Tab 10.1 and I think my Fire's screen is way better/clearer. My Fire is faster than the Samsung too and I paid twice as much for the Samsung. I do like that the Samsung is more customizable than the Fire though. All in all, they're both nice. Heck, my 4 year old Fire 7 is still going strong. I use it for traveling as it's more portable...fits in my purse.

I just checked and the Father's Day sale is now over and the Fire is back up to $150. It was at $119 over Father's Day. Might want to wait for the next sale. They usually have them during holidays.
I just got through reading two really good reviews on the Fire and the Samsung 10.1A. The Fire looked better in comparison. I think there will probably be a going back to school sale on Amazon at the end of the summer. They usually have them especially for the kids going off to college. So I'll keep an eye out.

Meantime I can still keep looking but the Fire looks like it's in first place right now.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:04 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
They might have a Fourth of July sale.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:26 AM

I'm curious why it's ahead?

Old 06-20-2018, 08:51 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Cheap plus you can add Google Play easily?

I haven't really looked at tablets other than the Fires in the past few years either. No other tablet provides the same value for me.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
They might have a Fourth of July sale.
I never thought of that. Thanks, I’ll be watching their website although since I am have Prime I’ll probably get an email from them. I get those all the time.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:08 AM

You get what you pay for. You want the best tablet on the market? I forgot about the Asus tablet. That is hands down the best.
$295 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/ZenPad-2048x1...SIN=B01MATMXZV

It has 4GB of RAM, the Sammy and Fire have 2. It has a quad core processor, the others have dual.
It has a 2K IPS display. The others only go to 1080p. It has a dedicated graphics chip, the others don't. Big advantage.

A 10 inch Kindle Fire WITHOUT the 'Special Offers' at 64GB is $90 cheaper.
No question you should get the one WITHOUT 'Special Offers'. $25 off to have ads sent to your home screen is not worth it.

Asus hands down.
Again, reminder, there are few people as into Amazon as I am. I STILL would get a true Android Tablet.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You get what you pay for. You want the best tablet on the market? I forgot about the Asus tablet. That is hands down the best.
$295 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/ZenPad-2048x1...SIN=B01MATMXZV

It has 4GB of RAM, the Sammy and Fire have 2. It has a quad core processor, the others have dual.
It has a 2K IPS display. The others only go to 1080p. It has a dedicated graphics chip, the others don't. Big advantage.

A 10 inch Kindle Fire WITHOUT the 'Special Offers' at 64GB is $90 cheaper.
No question you should get the one WITHOUT 'Special Offers'. $25 off to have ads sent to your home screen is not worth it.

Asus hands down.
Again, reminder, there are few people as into Amazon as I am. I STILL would get a true Android Tablet.
The best for that price point maybe. The best overall, I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets