Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 08:43 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times

Advertisements

I'm leaning in the direction of purchasing a tablet. I never owned one before. I will probably spend up to $250, which I guess means the MSRP can be higher than that. IIRC, they generally can attach electronically to cell phones, so a person can send texts and go online from the tablet without using WIFI. I'm leaning towards the ones powered by Android.

Which ones should my first and second choices be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 07:30 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
That's not a great price point for a tablet. Your only choices IMO are Samsung and Apple.

At that low end I'd spend the extra dollars and get the cheapest new iPad for $329. $330 should be your low end.
Or maybe last years S6 lite:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086Z2XFYP?ref=emc_p_m_5_i

Don't go too cheap. The problem with really cheap Android tablets is they are generally crap. You get what you pay for with Android tabs.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:45 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Here you go.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPa...ed-A/511337193

Go with Apple as it totally dominates the market.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:03 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,513,824 times
I would buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Chrome...eniuslink=true

I have 3 Chromebooks, including an HP Chromebook tablet. LOVE them. If I didn't have the HP tablet, I'd buy this Lenovo one... You won't be able to get a virus either. And, you can run Android apps on it as well.

I used to be big into Apple, but now I prefer Chromebooks as tablets. And, I prefer new over refurbished, personally (the link someone posted above to that refurbished Ipad). Plus, an older Ipad is going to be slow. Apple loves to keep updating the operating system, and ipads just get slower and slower over time. I've owned a few in years past, and I am sick of that happening...

The Chromebooks will not slow down like that.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:40 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
@MisterShipWreck: Thanks for letting me know Chromebooks can run Android apps. I didn't know that.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:19 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Data are your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Sn older Ipad is going to be slow. Apple loves to keep updating the operating system, and iPads just get slower and slower over time. I've owned a few in years past, and I am sick ...
Do you have data to support this claim?
My personal anecdotal experience with my 2014 iPad does reflect this claim.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I have owned 3 ipads over the years. My ex wife has owned 2 or 3 and my teenage son has owned a couple. As the OS updates come in, the ipad does get much slower. I am talking about the base model ipads.

I'm on various tech forums, and this is common knowledge. It is possible that the higher end models, like the ipad pro, will not suffer from this as much, because it comes with a higher processor.

But the ipad OS seems to get more demanding with each update. Everything seems to slow down. This issue used to drive me nuts.

Between this, and one OS update change that was ridiculous (a few years ago), I gave up on iPads. I got a Samsung Galaxy tablet . It never slowed down at all. Now, I have a Chromebook tablet, which I have owned for a year now. It is fantastic.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Here is an article, the first few lines say:

Quote:
The more you use an iPad the more it will slow down, no matter how old it is - and don't get us started on OS updates that slow it down even more.
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/speed-ipad-3632709/

It is interesting that one of the tips to speed it up is to update the OS. Anyway, I got sick of this issue - which seems to push you to buy a newer ipad. I tried a factory reset before, and it did not help much.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:40 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
OP: What phone do you use? Apple or Android? That's the type of tablet you should get.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:16 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I'm leaning in the direction of purchasing a tablet. I never owned one before. I will probably spend up to $250, which I guess means the MSRP can be higher than that. IIRC, they generally can attach electronically to cell phones, so a person can send texts and go online from the tablet without using WIFI. I'm leaning towards the ones powered by Android.

Which ones should my first and second choices be?
Samsung Tab A is just fine for most folks and it's not crap and retails for about $250 for the 10" model.

2019 model on clearance here, $207.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6335112

32gb should be plenty for most and you can expand storage via a micro sd card. Can't do that with Apple.

2020 model with 64gb here, also expandable with an sd card. This one is 10.4". $250
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GGYRCD5/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I would recommend the Amazon HD 10 which you can easily turn into a standard Android tablet. It does take some tweeking but there are some very nice tools available to do that if you wish. Believe it or not those were (are) on sale for $95 and no you will not be tied down to Amazon if you don't want to. It's not bad regardless.

I manage quite a few tablets at work, over 60 of them used for production. We use both Samsung and Amazon. We use them to view fabrication drawings. We went electronic years ago.

Not meant to replace a phone by the way. You can't text or call in the traditional sense unless you get one with 4g or something. Either way, you can't hold it up to your ear like a regular phone, lol.

Make sure to get a nice case and a tempered glass screen protector. You drop it, you break the screen protector and not the screen itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets