Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 02:45 PM

430 posts, read 919,901 times

Advertisements

There's been much talk about this UMPC, does any of you or know someone who has bought it. I'd like to take a good look at it (in action!). Local BestBuy does not have it, another PC store in the area?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,194,965 times
This ? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 PM

Thank you for the link, delusionne, it looks like it is extremely difficult to protect an idea (forget about patent...)

Old 08-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,141,331 times
I've had an eeePC since April. I got mine from Bestbuy.com, right after the XP version was released. The only B&M retailer I've ever seen carrying them is HEB, a local grocery store here that has an electronics department in its larger stores.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I've had an eeePC since April. I got mine from Bestbuy.com, right after the XP version was released. The only B&M retailer I've ever seen carrying them is HEB, a local grocery store here that has an electronics department in its larger stores.
Bowie, how do you like it and which model that you have?

Thanks.

Don

Old 08-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,141,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme2010 View Post
Bowie, how do you like it and which model that you have?
I have the 4G with Windows XP. It's not the fastest computer I own, but it's great for web-browsing and light work with documents. I added RAM to bring it up to 1 GB. It has 4 GB of SSD, of which XP takes up nearly 3 GB. I added an 8GB SD card and I run Portable Apps (including Firefox) from the card as exclusively as possible to avoid filling up the remaining SSD space. I have set up the SD card as a shared volume, so that Windows considers it part of the hard drive. (There are step-by-step instructions how to do that on the forum at http://eeeuser.com.)

Mostly, I love the size and weight. The small screen doesn't bother me much, but I admit that I wouldn't want to do a lot of work on it with large size documents or wide/tall spreadsheets.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,354,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I have the 4G with Windows XP. It's not the fastest computer I own, but it's great for web-browsing and light work with documents. I added RAM to bring it up to 1 GB. It has 4 GB of SSD, of which XP takes up nearly 3 GB. I added an 8GB SD card and I run Portable Apps (including Firefox) from the card as exclusively as possible to avoid filling up the remaining SSD space. I have set up the SD card as a shared volume, so that Windows considers it part of the hard drive. (There are step-by-step instructions how to do that on the forum at EeeUser.com » ASUS Eee PC 701, 900, 901, 1000 Blog Forum Wiki Community.)

Mostly, I love the size and weight. The small screen doesn't bother me much, but I admit that I wouldn't want to do a lot of work on it with large size documents or wide/tall spreadsheets.
bowie i was going to rep you again to thank you for the info because I was wondering about this too, but I just rep'd you for the info on the kindle!

You seem to know a lot of information about the things on my potential Christmas wish list!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,375,446 times
I'd suggest trying to get a version with the Intel Atom processor and not the Intel Mobile (Celeron) or Via CPU. The Atom is faster and uses less power.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:23 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,551,348 times
I'm going to get the ASUS eee 1000, it has a 40gb SSD drive and a 10" screen, plus bluetooth,webcam, 802.11n, 1gb memory, etc. A nice upgrade to the 900.

Read the reviews on newegg and seems most people love it. I want a notebook that will boot in less than a minute and super compact. I'll probably do the Windows version so I can use my USB sprint evdo modem (which I wasn't sure would work under linux). Neweggs got it for $399 with free shipping so it's a good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets