Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Tampa grow into a world-class city???
YES 19 34.55%
NO 36 65.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 07:26 PM

137 posts, read 43,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The Tampa Bay Area is a fairly sprawling area, constituting two major cities. As far as Vietnamese culture is concerned, Pinellas is more concentrated than Orange at this point. Orange may have the raw numbers, but Pinellas is the more concentrated county for Vietnamese in FL. You do know what concentrated means, right??? It's the population of a particular group in an area divided by the total population of that area, so Pinellas wins the concentration contest.

Also, I never said that Orlando didn't have Vietnamese communities, as it has some, but remember, I wasn't talking about the highest population but the highest concentrations, and that's what Pinellas has over Orange at this point!!! It's not a tie when you have about 0.2% above another county. It just proves that Pinellas has slightly more Vietnamese people by concentration, not necessarily by population.
You said “The West Coast of FL” has the highest concentration. It doesn’t.
The difference in all aspects is negligible. And this all goes back to your bizarre claim that Orlando lacks the ethnic neighborhoods that Tampa has.
The only part of Tampa that could be remotely considered an ethnic neighborhood would be Temple Terrace, where there is a fairly high concentration of Indian and Middle Eastern businesses.

And the shrimping industry in the region is largely controlled by white Floridians… As is the vast majority of the fishing industry overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 07:38 PM

To sum things up, no, Tampa is not on its way to becoming a world class city, and is rapidly losing its foothold as Florida’s second city. It is hardly the primary city of its own region anymore. No, it is not on its way to incorporating rail transit. No, it is not building tall towers. It is sprawling as much as the most sprawl parts of the state. Hillsborough County has no interest in turning it into an urban paradise. And downtown has a severe homelessness issue that I haven’t seen the likes of anywhere else in the state. A lot of work needs to be done… And at this rate, we will all be long dead before any solid progress is made.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:42 AM

729 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbtoy7891 View Post
To sum things up, no, Tampa is not on its way to becoming a world class city, and is rapidly losing its foothold as Florida’s second city. It is hardly the primary city of its own region anymore. No, it is not on its way to incorporating rail transit. No, it is not building tall towers. It is sprawling as much as the most sprawl parts of the state. Hillsborough County has no interest in turning it into an urban paradise. And downtown has a severe homelessness issue that I haven’t seen the likes of anywhere else in the state. A lot of work needs to be done… And at this rate, we will all be long dead before any solid progress is made.
Tampa could've been a "world-class" city a while ago. Until leadership deficiencies and lack of vision are addressed, no one on CD will be around to see it.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:36 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Tampa could've been a "world-class" city a while ago. Until leadership deficiencies and lack of vision are addressed, no one on CD will be around to see it.
Yes. I will say that IMO, Bob Buckhorn was one of if not the best mayor Tampa has ever had. He got great things done for the city and had an incredible vision plan. It's gone downhill since then sad to say.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:01 PM

266 posts, read 261,732 times
Quote:
The only thing Orlando doesn't have is an Ybor City equivalent. [/url]
Orlando has downtown Kissimmee (Broadway) - not to be confused with Old Town Kissimmee near Disney! Downtown Kissimmee (also called Kissimmee Main Street) is smaller than Ybor City but nicer and cleaner. And very authentically Puerto Rican. It has restaurants, bars, stores, an antique mall, Casa del Artesano (Puerto Rican art), Casa de la Cultura de Venezuela etc.

About 2 blocks from there is Kissimmee Lakefront Park.

That whole area is very walkable. You could first take a walk through Lakefront Park, watch the sunset and then go and have dinner and entertainment downtown Kissimmee on Broadway, especially on weekends.

At the back of the Casa del Artesano is Pa'l Callejón, an outdoor Puerto Rican restaurant with a dance floor and a small stage. They have bands on the weekends.

And there is Miguelo's Ultra Lounge, a Puerto Rican family restaurant with a separate area with a bar, dance floor and stage. They also have bands on the weekend.

Another very walkable area in the Orlando metro area is Celebration. You can walk all of it and it is beautiful.

Quote:
There are Italians in Tampa?
Yes, the old Cuban culture can be nice, but it is mostly removed from the city, and many of those old neighborhoods have been reduced to abandoned lots, crumbling infrastructure, and downright blight.
[/url]
That is how I remember Ybor City. I took visitors there on different occasions. It is run down and there are strange people walking around during the day. It was not very appealing.

The same applies to parts of downtown Tampa. The walk along the river is OK but as soon as you get away from there into the downtown streets it becomes sketchy.

Old 03-14-2024, 06:56 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post

The same applies to parts of downtown Tampa. The walk along the river is OK but as soon as you get away from there into the downtown streets it becomes sketchy.
Maybe north of downtown around I-275, but the majority of the downtown area is not "sketchy". I've worked downtown for nearly 15 years, and it's improved significantly over that time.

Please identify specific areas downtown you think are "sketchy".

RM

Old 03-14-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Maybe north of downtown around I-275, but the majority of the downtown area is not "sketchy". I've worked downtown for nearly 15 years, and it's improved significantly over that time.

RM
Morgan and Marion, South of I-275, and again at Cass and Polk immediately comes to mind.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:15 AM

266 posts, read 261,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post

RM
We walked around N. Tampa Ave., N. Florida Street between Madison and Polk and were looking for a place to have breakfast on a late Sunday morning. Some of the blocks are OK but as soon as you turn the wrong corner, it can look run down.

It always reminds me of Jacksonville, where I lived before. Downtown Jax is very pretty at places, e. g. along the St. John's River but a few blocks down some streets it can be very different.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:02 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Miami isn one of the densest major cities in the US, only behind NYC, SF, and Boston.

Not by my impression visiting it....still a long way from truly dense cities (Vancouver for example).

Old 03-14-2024, 11:08 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
We should define what "world class city" means in the first place...there is a lot of BS and marketing fluff in some aspects of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay