Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:59 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,432,720 times

Advertisements

Let's pay teachers doctor rates.

No more important job in this country. Somebody teaches the doctors of the world, when they are young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 08:36 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,335,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Let's pay teachers doctor rates.

No more important job in this country. Somebody teaches the doctors of the world, when they are young.
Teachers are more like doctors who are paid by hospitals. Teachers could go into private practice and see several patients... I mean students... a DAY. Each one would be required to pay the consulting teacher about $75 an hour, which is what I pay the guy who works on my car.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:43 AM

9,802 posts, read 16,264,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
you might be just a little too sensitive for internet forums.

bingo

Old 07-24-2010, 08:47 AM

9,802 posts, read 16,264,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Teachers are more like doctors who are paid by hospitals. Teachers could go into private practice and see several patients... I mean students... a DAY. Each one would be required to pay the consulting teacher about $75 an hour, which is what I pay the guy who works on my car.
-------teachers are more like doctors---

No they're not.

I hope you use better analogies than that in the classroom while teachinhg.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,972,147 times
Default Teachers working during summer vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
In my state, they teach summer school, lifeguard, work as camp counselors, tutor, pet-sit and do all sorts of other jobs all summer to help pay the rent/mortgage.
During my 34 year career as a high school teacher in the public schools of Pasadena, California, I worked during the summers more often than not. However, that does not prove that I couldn't live on my salary. I chose to work, as it was a nice supplement, and also I found some interesting things to do. That is not to say my salary was generous - in fact it was not! But whether teachers really need summer work depends on their lifesyle and spending habits. Whether the school district divides your salary into 12 parts and gives you 12 checks a year, or 10 parts with 10 checks (as I had), it is still the same amount over a year's time. In the latter case (with two months of no check), you just need a modicum of self-discipline. I never found it to be a problem.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,972,147 times
Default OP a "troll" post? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
While the breakdown is interesting, the title and the red color still make it a troll post. If the poster wanted it not to be then the title would have been: Teachers are paid as if they were a 7th grade babysitter.

I'm sorry, but I don't like the tone, and I dislike the tone of many of the posters on this forum. With my 39+ years in school based mental health services, public and private, I have an enormous amount of information that I could share. But the vast majority of the postings here are just constant trolling complaints, and unwillingness to listen to the realities of education in 2010 in the era of NCLB and RTTT. But I rarely see many of the trolls for long since I use "Edit Ignore list" so that I have an ever increasing list of trolls that I don't have to listen to ignorant ravings.
Z
You don't like the red color, the catchy title, and the "tone", so you call it a troll post. Then you use the term "ignorant ravings". Well, I challenge you to find fault with the OP's calculations. What is "ignorant" about them? I don't really care for the use of colors either, but this OP is certainly not a troll post. It raises the entirely legitimate issue of teachers' salaries in general; are they too high? too low? or about right? The subsequent discussion has indeed revolved around that. There are real trolls on City-Data, but I think your curmudgeonly and exacting standards are very unusual. Perhaps you will now put me on your "ignore" list. So be it.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
My wife makes under 50k and she doesn't complain.

She sometimes thinks about going back into accounting where she'll make more money but in the end she enjoys having a schedule the same as our kids and having a job that is meaningful.

The original post was funny I though.
Had me fooled for a few lines.
I've seen that OP several times before. It is funny.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,042,168 times
I saw someone post what I think is the best way of evaluating teachers, but I have never seen it done. Give the kids some kind of test or evaluation at the beginning of the year and judge whether or not they have progressed a year's worth of progress. So a child who comes in reading at the 3rd grade level should be at the 4th grade level at the end of the year, but another child in the same class who comes in reading at the 2nd grade level, may only progress to the 3rd grade level and a child who comes in advanced should also make a year's worth of progress.

I am not sure how we would track all this though. And, of course, we cannot just track reading, but need to also track math, science, social studies, etc.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,653,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I saw someone post what I think is the best way of evaluating teachers, but I have never seen it done. Give the kids some kind of test or evaluation at the beginning of the year and judge whether or not they have progressed a year's worth of progress. So a child who comes in reading at the 3rd grade level should be at the 4th grade level at the end of the year, but another child in the same class who comes in reading at the 2nd grade level, may only progress to the 3rd grade level and a child who comes in advanced should also make a year's worth of progress.

I am not sure how we would track all this though. And, of course, we cannot just track reading, but need to also track math, science, social studies, etc.
I agree with this for multiple reasons. One of which is it will get us out of concentrating on the bottom of the class. Right now, the only thing schools are graded on is how many students pass the tests. IMO, they should be graded on a combination of their average score, the average change in score of an individual student and the passing rate. Right now, once a child reaches a passing level, there is no incentive to keep going.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:11 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,335,210 times
Evaluating teachers? This is completely upside down.

The real problem is with the need the competent management. If management is providing teachers with an appropriate currculum that has been actively developed by the teachers and administrators, then the teachers should be evaluated on their abilities to teach the appropriate curriculum. Secondly, if management is willing to provide teachers with a unified skill set of the best practices in teaching, such as the Learning Focus© curriculum techniques, and then observe teachers on the basis of both performing the skillset, and covering what has been demonstrated in the curriculum, then we have a cohesive program top down and bottom up.

If you add to the above two items, a focused and developed set of evaluation tools for the basic skills in reading and math using such things as Dibels, and other tools, management and teachers can develop appropriate back up programs for children who are struggling in reading, math, and even behavior.

The whole problem here is that everyone is blaming teachers for "incompetance" when its not the teachers who should be addressed. Skilled management in education can provide teachers every skill that they need to give success to a very large percentage of the children. And for those who are not reaching success, we won't be blaming the teachers skills, we will kow exactly why they are not making progress. In those instances we will either know what to do, or have to admit that there are issues beyond what the school can do and try to reach the children in another way.

And..... then.... for the occasional and rare teacher who won't follow the procedures as outlined by management, other techniqies can be addresses for the teachers.

Its not about teachers. Its about management. We really have very few incompetant teachers. What we have is lots and lots of incompetent management.

Z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching