Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:04 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,496,713 times

Advertisements

I would LOVE to see a study that compared cost of living vs. teacher salaries including benefits.

It would be very interesting to see what state or area would give you the best salary and reasonable cost of living, in other words, where you could live the best as a teacher!

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 03:57 PM

117 posts, read 507,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I would LOVE to see a study that compared cost of living vs. teacher salaries including benefits.

It would be very interesting to see what state or area would give you the best salary and reasonable cost of living, in other words, where you could live the best as a teacher!

Dawn
I have yet to see a study that compares the cost of living to teacher salaries w/ benefits package. However, I did come across a study that looked at teacher salaries only before and after they were adjusted based on the cost of living for a specific city. More information can be found at the following site:

TEACHER PAY | Daily Policy Digest | NCPA

Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 PM

You know, I don't think that study was done very well at all.

San Fran ranked #2 with $58K
Grand Rapids ranked #4 with $52K

That doesn't even make sense. A 1500 sq. ft. home in San Fran is 700K. A 1500 sq. ft. home in Grand Rapids is $150K. But the difference in pay is only 6K. Taking that into account should rank San Fran as #49 or 50!

dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown68 View Post
I have yet to see a study that compares the cost of living to teacher salaries w/ benefits package. However, I did come across a study that looked at teacher salaries only before and after they were adjusted based on the cost of living for a specific city. More information can be found at the following site:

TEACHER PAY | Daily Policy Digest | NCPA

Old 06-27-2007, 06:21 PM

86 posts, read 373,294 times
I agree. This would be an interesting study. We will be moving next month... from TN to HI. In TN we can afford a nice 3 bed, 2 bath home with a nice yard, in an up-scale neighborhood. In HI we will be renting a 2 bed, 1 bath condo (which will cost about $500 MORE a month). We will be making more money, but it isn't enough to make up for the cost of living. We are looking at it as a good experience, but we will be moving back to TN when we decide to start adding to our family.

I think you also have to look at how other professionals are living too though. In comparison to most families in HI, we are lucky that we won't have to work 2 or 3 jobs to pay our rent. The cost of living is high, but everyone is underpaid. Everyone struggles with money. So, in comparison to others in HI, we are getting paid very well... even though we will be living a lot smaller than what we are used to. I think everything is relative... it is up to each individual to decide what is important and live with the decisions you make.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 PM

Well, of course you are right. I personally would prefer to move back to CA and live in a smaller house but live where I love than get more and not enjoy it.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HI View Post
I agree. This would be an interesting study. We will be moving next month... from TN to HI. In TN we can afford a nice 3 bed, 2 bath home with a nice yard, in an up-scale neighborhood. In HI we will be renting a 2 bed, 1 bath condo (which will cost about $500 MORE a month). We will be making more money, but it isn't enough to make up for the cost of living. We are looking at it as a good experience, but we will be moving back to TN when we decide to start adding to our family.

I think you also have to look at how other professionals are living too though. In comparison to most families in HI, we are lucky that we won't have to work 2 or 3 jobs to pay our rent. The cost of living is high, but everyone is underpaid. Everyone struggles with money. So, in comparison to others in HI, we are getting paid very well... even though we will be living a lot smaller than what we are used to. I think everything is relative... it is up to each individual to decide what is important and live with the decisions you make.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:28 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,275,581 times
Where I live in upstate NY teachers start at about $40,000 with the avg being approx $56 and the high $89. Of course principals, administrators, and superintendants make much more (supt $150).

The avg price of a home here is $79. So with two in a family teaching they start out making 100% the price of the avg home, 50% if single. I doubt many, if any places can say that. A majority of the most expensive houses are owned by teachers. Of course taxes are high but the greater percentage of them go to the school district.

This has caused a certain amount of problems where the avg household income is closer to $30 vs a possible $80+

Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Starting salary in our district is around $26,000, high being about $90,000. I am sure the administration makes a considerable amount more but then again, their responsibilities are greater (same as the CEO of a company). The lowest priced house on the market in our area is $219,000 for 1400 sq foot rambler built in the 1950's. For your typical 2 story suburban home that you can find pretty much anywhere in the country, say 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths you are looking at about $400,000+.

In our district to 'qualify' to by that lowest price home you would have to have about 10 years experience and a masters degree in teaching to get to the $40,000 range and even then it would be a budget stretch.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:59 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,494,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Starting salary in our district is around $26,000, high being about $90,000. I am sure the administration makes a considerable amount more but then again, their responsibilities are greater (same as the CEO of a company). The lowest priced house on the market in our area is $219,000 for 1400 sq foot rambler built in the 1950's. For your typical 2 story suburban home that you can find pretty much anywhere in the country, say 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths you are looking at about $400,000+.

In our district to 'qualify' to by that lowest price home you would have to have about 10 years experience and a masters degree in teaching to get to the $40,000 range and even then it would be a budget stretch.
Where do you live that the teacher's starting pay is that low, but the price of homes are that high for a low-ball home???? I don't want to wind up there!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Where do you live that the teacher's starting pay is that low, but the price of homes are that high for a low-ball home???? I don't want to wind up there!
In one of the best districts in the nation, actually. Starting pay is pretty low but they at least have a better range then our old town. In our old town starting pay was $22,000 and topped out at $42,000. You could buy a pretty nice home for around $200,000 with the tops in the housing market being around $500,000. Starter homes in the $85,000-100,000 range.

Most of the young teachers rent or commute from less expensive towns in our district (our our town is the 'cheep' town in the district. There are 5 high schools in our district).

Old 06-28-2007, 09:55 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,149,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
You know, I don't think that study was done very well at all.

San Fran ranked #2 with $58K
Grand Rapids ranked #4 with $52K

That doesn't even make sense. A 1500 sq. ft. home in San Fran is 700K. A 1500 sq. ft. home in Grand Rapids is $150K. But the difference in pay is only 6K. Taking that into account should rank San Fran as #49 or 50!

dawn
When adjusted for cost of living San Fran was 49th FOR TEACHERS, COST OF LIVING MATTERS MORE THAN BASE PAY | News Release | NCPA (http://www.ncpa.org/prs/rel/2005/20050815nr.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching