Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2006, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 18,283 times

Advertisements

I'm a high school school english teacher and I am looking for a reasonably priced city or town (for a single high school english teacher) to live in. The states thats i've narrowed my search down to are:
Maryland
Minnesota
New York
New Jersey
Rhode Island
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
Illinois
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Please give me your feedback. If you have any suggestions please feel free to tell me. Thank you. Also, no rural areas. I would like to live in a city or town with shopping centers or close to a shopping center. I want to get married and have a family, so moving to an area where I can send my children to a good school would be great. (Private or Public) it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 01:20 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,911 times
You could go to Detroit. I think they give significant hazard pay there. Seriously.
Also, they have program in NYC where they will pay for your Masters degree in Education, if you agree to work in one of the low preforming schools for a period of time.
Oh, you said, reasonably priced area. Sorry.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:35 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
You didn't say what your criteria were, except reasonably priced with shopping and decent schools.
You can find those in any of the states you mentioned (or Sioux Falls) and it's easy to check things like real estate values and Walmart locations online.
Without having a hint of what other things you're looking for, it's pretty difficult for anyone to give you recommendations.
English teacher, you say? How about Raleigh, NC?

Old 08-15-2006, 11:03 PM

59 posts, read 325,228 times
Living in Upstate NY is much different than NYC, very friendly upstate. Any of the major metropolitan areas are really good (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany). Each have their own charm. If you choose Upstate NY, be prepared for lots of snow in the winter... and Winter does go from October/November to April.

Upstate NY.... Rochester area has some of the top schools in the nation. It is one of the larger cities in NY outside of NYS. It also has very reasonable prices for house. I wouldn't go right IN Rochester, but maybe look at Pittsfield area or Beacon!

I have also lived in the Syracuse area suburbs and they have some great school systems too! IE: Liverpool, Cicero-North Syracuse, Fayetteville-Manlius, Baldwinsville.

In the Albany area, you're looking at Voorhesville, Ballston Spa, Bethelehem schools.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:35 PM

61 posts, read 275,684 times
Check out the salary info from the American Federation of Teachers, they publish good information (by state, it is not more specific than that).

New York state pays very well for teachers and is beautiful IMO.

- Chris

Old 08-18-2006, 06:49 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
Of the states listed, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island pay the best (Connecticut actually is tops in that department but in general the whole Northeast pays well). New Jersey is expensive as are the areas of New York closer to NYC but you can get good deals in other urban areas such as Buffalo (check out the suburb of Amherst; good schools, safe city) and Albany. I think the Providence area is another good possibility. I'm not sure how the schools stack up, but I'd imagine it follows the general national trend of not-so-hot city schools and markedly better suburban schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching