Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 PM

64 posts, read 289,456 times

Advertisements

I am a 2005 grad with a bach. in elem. edu. with minors in fine art and psychology. Is there anyone else out there that is finding it very hard to get hired? (Unless you are in a state that need teachers).

My friend and I are older (not in the 20's) and we did some research. We found out that the younger ones will get hired over the younger ones. Has any one else experienced this problem? I find it so discouraging that principals will not look past what they see. I am a great teacher with much experience but I will usually get one interview and then never hear anything.

I live in Indiana and moving to another state at this time is not an option for me. I have done everything such as making a better resume with a great cover letter to go with it. Then if I do get an interview, I will send a thank-you card, yet no one calls.

Tell me your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 07:44 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,390,140 times
I know in IL, that elementary ed is usually pretty booked up. But the hot subjects are math and science, and special ed and of course - ESL. Perhaps you can do these or get certified to?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,843,579 times
I understand your situation about not being able to move out of state. I live in MI and I am in the last two years of gaining my elementary ed degree. MI is practically the home base in the country in the amount of schools that produce thousands of teaching graduates each year. For that reason, among others (economy etc) teachers who graduate here can't find any jobs. I am in my early 40s, a male and I've been told by school recruiters, teachers I know and faculty at the school I attend that I will not have any problem finding a full time job when I'm done. Does that include MI? I don't know. I'm not at that point where I can start looking, but the outlook isn't good. I don't want to leave MI but if I had to for a full time job in the right district I would.
Your comment about older folks getting hired over younger ones does make sense. People have told me because of my experience in the "real world" and just general knowledge of what life is about gives me a leg up on a 20 something just getting out of school. Again this isn't my opinion, but opinions of people I know outside of teaching. Unforunately or fortunately depending on your outlook it sometimes comes down to who you know and not what you know, although in teaching the latter is more and more important. I know a handful of teachers in my district and outside the district and a couple of elementary principals. Whether that will matter when I'm out looking for a job, who knows, but it can't hurt. So if you know someone in education or have friends who know teachers or school administrators, try and get to know them and let them know you want to stay close to home and work in a good school. Best of luck

Old 07-18-2007, 10:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,655,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyfw View Post
I am a 2005 grad with a bach. in elem. edu. with minors in fine art and psychology. Is there anyone else out there that is finding it very hard to get hired? (Unless you are in a state that need teachers).

My friend and I are older (not in the 20's) and we did some research. We found out that the younger ones will get hired over the younger ones. Has any one else experienced this problem? I find it so discouraging that principals will not look past what they see. I am a great teacher with much experience but I will usually get one interview and then never hear anything.

I live in Indiana and moving to another state at this time is not an option for me. I have done everything such as making a better resume with a great cover letter to go with it. Then if I do get an interview, I will send a thank-you card, yet no one calls.

Tell me your stories.
then go BEYOND the resume: try creating a portfolio of self-generated lesson plans (3-5 in different subject areas), classroom management tools, and bulletin boards (erect one in your home, get creative, and take photos). use your standard cover letter and resume as the introduction, and express your willingness to "teach" one of the lessons from your portfolio should you be granted an interview. it will be worth the cost of having them copied and bound at kinkos, and the extra postage. it's the difference between saying you're a great teacher, and hoping they'll believe you and give you a chance, and showing them that you are a great teacher, and they'd be foolish not to hire you.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,655,315 times
p.s.

if you have student teaching or other classroom experience, ask for letters of rec. from supervisors and parents to include in the portfolio.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:38 PM

117 posts, read 508,118 times
You may have to sub for awhile to get your foot in the door. There are so many elementary ed candidates out there that you have to do something that will give you an edge. You could also look into private/parochial schools in your area for job openings. While they might pay significantly less than public schools, they might offer valuable learning experience. Charter schools might be another option.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 AM

133 posts, read 499,224 times
Default Good Luck

I live in Michigan, and I know several graduates of elementary education programs who are teaching at the local community college because no one is hiring. Yes, the teachers are needed BADLY, but no district can afford to hire them. If we ever get out of the budget crisis, there will be plenty of jobs.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:47 AM

376 posts, read 1,869,617 times
In many parts of the country there is no need for primary teachers. Best advice is to find a state that needs them. I think NC and SC are states that need teachers. Also, NYC.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:30 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,492,891 times
Yes.. move to South Carolina.

We need teachers.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:37 PM

269 posts, read 1,245,892 times
You might look at Department of Defense schools as an option ... the official sites for those are linked at the bottom of Department of Defense Dependents Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching